Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Veritas Mk II guide trouble

I recently strated using the Mk II to sharpen my chisels and plane
blades. Previously I used the original Veritas guide and angle jig
with no problem. But with the MK II, my plane blades and chisels
always sharpen at an angle. When looking at the bevel side, the edge
slopes downward to the right. The wider the blade, the greater the
slope. This occurs with the primary bevel and the micro-bevel. Using
the registration jig (and double-checking it with a square after the
jig is removed), the blade is at a perfect 90 degree angle to the
guide.

While I can compensate for the plane blades by adjusting the blade
laterally within the handplane, there isn't much I can do when
chopping dovetails with the chisels except hold them tilted to the
side until the edge rests squarely on the line.

I have been a woodworker and woodcarver for over 20 years and have
never had this problem before with any of the various methods I've
used for sharpening over the years. I also am a technician in the
production-print/laser field for over 30 years and daily work with
tolerances that require adjustments in the .001" to .005" range.
After analyzing this problem I've come to the conclusion that the
roller is riding lower on one side than the other causing the guide to
ride out of parallel to the stone. While using the guide I've tried
biasing the downward pressure on the side of the blade that seems to
have the higher point than the other, but even that can't compensate
for the mismatch. My waterstones are completely flat. Today I even
tried honing a micro-bevel using my brand-new, never-before-used 8000
waterstone from Veritas, and the micro-bevel was still skewed.

Any one else had this problem? Do I have a defective guide?

Dave