Posted to rec.woodworking

Default douglas fir ok for cutting board?

Hi,

I have some Douglas Fir I'd like to use to make a cutting board. Good
idea? Bad idea?

TIA,
NL

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On Feb 3, 12:57 pm, wrote:
Hi,

I have some Douglas Fir I'd like to use to make a cutting board. Good
idea? Bad idea?

So-so idea. Not so bad as something porous like oak, not nearly as
good as something fine-grained and relatively hard like maple...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have some Douglas Fir I'd like to use to make a cutting board. Good
idea? Bad idea?

TIA,
NL

A bit tooooooooo soft.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have some Douglas Fir I'd like to use to make a cutting board. Good
idea? Bad idea?

TIA,
NL

A bit tooooooooo soft.

Theoretically, probably too soft. Realistically, probably fine, as
long as you don't expect it to last many generations. I know maple
etc. are supposed to be the best cutting board woods, but my parents
used a "cutting board" for 10+ years that I made in jr. high shop
class. This "cutting board" was a square piece of CX plywood. It
used to have 3/4" dowels countersunk into it as legs, but those fell
off almost immediately after they started using it (now I know the
countersink was far too shallow, and gluing end grain doesn't have any
strength...). My point is that CX ply isn't ideal cutting board
material, but it was functional.
My advice - make your cutting board, use it, and learn whatever you
can from the process. If you at some point get some maple, walnut,
and/or cherry scraps, make a new cutting board (any combination of
those woods is beautiful).
Assuming you're gluing up pieces, I'd definitely use something
waterproof like titebond 3, gorilla glue, or epoxy. They're all "food
safe" once they cure. Use mineral oil as a finish - you don't want
something that hardens, as that could chip as you use it.
Good luck and have fun,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
J. J. is offline

As long as your pieces have straight clear grain and no knots it's okay.
Probably better for cheese than for red meat. Flood the surface with
mineral oil -- all it will take. Should last you for years.

J.