Posted to rec.woodworking
Dennis Johnson

Default Clear Douglas Fir ???

Built some outside flower planter boxes 15 years ago out of Clear
Douglas Fir and time and weather have finally taken their toll. Went to
the borg looking for more CDF and there wasn't any. Called a few lumber
yards and they had none but might be able to order some. I always
thought of it as a great utility wood for outdoor things that I wanted
to last and look nice.

I have since switched to cypress and know that this will be great. But
I'm still wondering what happened to CDF. Any ideas ??
Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Drackman

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Dennis Johnson wrote:
Built some outside flower planter boxes 15 years ago out of Clear
Douglas Fir and time and weather have finally taken their toll. Went
to the borg looking for more CDF and there wasn't any. Called a few
lumber yards and they had none but might be able to order some. I
always thought of it as a great utility wood for outdoor things that
I wanted to last and look nice.

I have since switched to cypress and know that this will be great. But
I'm still wondering what happened to CDF. Any ideas ??

It's still around. Bought some at Home Depot a couple of months ago.
Expensive though...at least in Florida.

--

I am really lucky I had a guy with a band mill come to my property and mill
up about 2,000 Bf of douglas fir. Not all was clear, but the nice stuff was

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Built some outside flower planter boxes 15 years ago out of Clear
Douglas Fir and time and weather have finally taken their toll. Went to
the borg looking for more CDF and there wasn't any. Called a few lumber
yards and they had none but might be able to order some. I always
thought of it as a great utility wood for outdoor things that I wanted
to last and look nice.

I have since switched to cypress and know that this will be great. But
I'm still wondering what happened to CDF. Any ideas ??

I can get it at two or three places in Santa Barbara county (west coast US),
not that I do, but yes as far availability. It's in the $7 per board foot range.
Beautiful wood but a lot of "orange" color. It does make for very nice french
doors and such, framing around the glass. My mother's rotating (rolling bars
and gears with stops) quilting frame is made of it.

But for outdoors you could go for red wood too, and for an awesome wood
that is in the same price range check out a south American lumber called IpeŽ
(Pao LopeŽ), usually sold as boards for decking and sold by the linear foot, like
$3. It will outlast "anything" else as it is super hard and full of micro silicates
(rock sand). No finishing needed for at least 25 years. Greenheart is just as
good.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
Dennis Johnson wrote:

But
I'm still wondering what happened to CDF. Any ideas ??

Even here in the Great Northwest - Douglas Fir capitol of the USA - CVG
(clear vertical grain) is very expensive. On the order of $4 to $8+/
lineal foot - LINEAL FOOT! A single twobasixbaeight for use in a door,
last I checked, would have set me back about $70.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Dennis Johnson" wrote in message
Built some outside flower planter boxes 15 years ago out of Clear
Douglas Fir and time and weather have finally taken their toll. Went to
the borg looking for more CDF and there wasn't any. Called a few lumber
yards and they had none but might be able to order some. I always
thought of it as a great utility wood for outdoor things that I wanted
to last and look nice.

I have since switched to cypress and know that this will be great. But
I'm still wondering what happened to CDF. Any ideas ??

Around here the expensive DF is called "vertical grain" and it is about the
same price range as QSWO, $7-8/bf.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 16:54:29 -0400, Dennis Johnson
wrote:

Built some outside flower planter boxes 15 years ago out of Clear
Douglas Fir and time and weather have finally taken their toll. Went to
the borg looking for more CDF and there wasn't any. Called a few lumber
yards and they had none but might be able to order some. I always
thought of it as a great utility wood for outdoor things that I wanted
to last and look nice.

I have since switched to cypress and know that this will be great. But
I'm still wondering what happened to CDF. Any ideas ??

Not sure about CDF. I am looking for MDO and I asked several BORG
folks who know nothing about it. MDO is a good material for outdoor
projects too. For making your flower boxes you might want to consider
wooden pickets made specifically for fences. The wood is usually
redwood, cedar, cypress, or treated. White (only white!) oak is also
a very good choice. Use SS screws to eliminate the black streaking.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dennis Johnson wrote:
Built some outside flower planter boxes 15 years ago out of Clear
Douglas Fir and time and weather have finally taken their toll. Went to
the borg looking for more CDF and there wasn't any. Called a few lumber
yards and they had none but might be able to order some. I always
thought of it as a great utility wood for outdoor things that I wanted
to last and look nice.

I have since switched to cypress and know that this will be great. But
I'm still wondering what happened to CDF. Any ideas ??

Here in Maryland they have it at Lowe's.

--

FF