Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Too Freak'en cold

Went out to do some woodworking on my bed project. I didn't last to long in
the cold woodshop.

Need a heater!

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Love your web site. What do I need to do one similar of my workshop?

Also, speaking of cold, I'm in Colorado. It's not only cold today but
the wind is howling. My two propane heaters barely make it bearable.
The noise is a nuisance, though.

My philosophy: cold winters make you appreciate the summer. I spent
some time in Sweden and they share that philosophy big time....

In fact speaking of Sweden, I may be (50% chance) assigned to
Stockholm for three years startring in April. That means my shop will
sit idle for that period. I may buy a mini-lathe to take with me,
though. Depsite my loss of the workshop for three years, I'm actually
excited about the assignment -- Swedish lessons on Saturdays.
Apartment near the Baltic -- maybe buy kayaks or sail boats. Work my
buttocks off the rest of the time at work (there's a promotion
involved but with that promotion comes a bunch of work).

On Feb 3, 11:49 am, "Stoutman" .@. wrote:
Went out to do some woodworking on my bed project. I didn't last to long in
the cold woodshop.

Need a heater!

--
Stoutmanwww.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

Not sure where you are but here in central Wisc. we might get above zero....
next week....for a high.
Wifey loves when I get up at 6 to start wood fire and.lug in the clamped and
glued pieces to cure in house .
Wood stove and an electric heater still takes 2 hours to get up to 60
Gotta love this global warming.
"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
Went out to do some woodworking on my bed project. I didn't last to long
in the cold woodshop.

Need a heater!

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Love your web site. What do I need to do one similar of my workshop?

Thank you. I used Microsoft's FrontPage to make and publish my website.

Propane heaters, that's what I need!

-Congratulations on the promotion!

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

I hear ya! I've got a fire built, and a radiant kero going. The combo
couldn't keep the shop much above 50 deg. so I broke out the kero torpedo
which kicks on occasionally to maintain 60 deg so I can finish a glue up.
Geez, it's gonna cost $10 to heat the place today and today is supposed to
be the "warmest" day for the next few. --dave

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
Went out to do some woodworking on my bed project. I didn't last to long
in the cold woodshop.

Need a heater!

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jon Jon is offline

Here in Chicago it is the same, heavily blowing winds with a wind chill
of -15 at 2pm. It is so cold my kerosene heater is not working so no
woodworking done today. They said sometime next week we should be in the
single digits, but then I big warmup to the 20's next weekend. WOO HOO!

Jon
t...
"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
Went out to do some woodworking on my bed project. I didn't last to long
in the cold woodshop.

Need a heater!

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stoutman wrote:
Went out to do some woodworking on my bed project. I didn't last to long in
the cold woodshop.

Need a heater!

I have a smallish shop at one end of the garage with a second garage
door separating them. When we first moved here (SoCal mountains) I had
a portable electric heater that I would put on the workbench. The glue
bottle had a place in front of it and I tried to do as much assembly
work there as possible. Then, hallelujah, I saw the light and got a
Reznor gas heater. Zero dF outside, 60dF inside. I get all excited
just thinking about it.
weirdly,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
Went out to do some woodworking on my bed project. I didn't last to long

in
the cold woodshop.

Need a heater!

Ditto ... although it's probably warm here by comparison (low 50's in the
sun). I did some "CAD woodworking" this morning (better than nothing) then
went out twice, but the residual cold in the shop from the 30's last night
just made it too uncomfortable to stay long.

Managed to put down a few layout marks before I quit and came back in to
warm myself up with an eternal wRec argument, or two ... can't wait for
those productive high 90's again!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/27/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
Went out to do some woodworking on my bed project. I didn't last to long

in
the cold woodshop.

Need a heater!

Ditto ... although it's probably warm here by comparison (low 50's in the
sun). I did some "CAD woodworking" this morning (better than nothing) then
went out twice, but the residual cold in the shop from the 30's last night
just made it too uncomfortable to stay long.

Managed to put down a few layout marks before I quit and came back in to
warm myself up with an eternal wRec argument, or two ... can't wait for
those productive high 90's again!

LOL... I have been "going to work" out in the shop all week. Had good
intentions of doing it today and yet I sit here typing with cold hands.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
Went out to do some woodworking on my bed project. I didn't last to long
in the cold woodshop.

Need a heater!

--

I have a heater, but still won't be out in the shop for the next week or so.
The heater is not enough once it gets below about 20F and after tomorrow, it

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Found it necessary to return to Northern Ohio last week.

As I stepped off the plane and my senses got hit with 17F weather, I
remembered why I left.

During my stay, night time temps of 0F and wind chills of -10F were
common along with 12"-15" of snow in the "Snow Belt", east of Cleveland.

Oh well, at least the ground hog didn't see his shadow.

Maybe it will be warmer my next trip back.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon" wrote in message

LOL... I have been "going to work" out in the shop all week. Had good
intentions of doing it today and yet I sit here typing with cold hands.

I managed to get about four hours shop time in yesterday despite being a bit
too chilly for my taste.

Cutting panels too long for the shop to size, but finding a way ... you
_can_ cut 61" long x 17" wide panels, to width, on a UniGuard equipped
Unisaw, with a BIG panel sled, a couple of screws, and a whole lotta
'no-other-choice'.

Then, standing on a ladder looking/feeling like an Eskimo on a popsicle
stick, to use the Leigh D4 jig (which was stacked atop a tottering, throw-up
tower) to cut 'through dovetails' in four ends of those same 61" long
panels.

.... nice to be making sawdust on your own account for a change, even if it
was full of chilly challenges.

Supposed to be 60 and sunny tomorrow ... perfect shop weather!

.... and it figures that I have to hold an open house!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/02/07

Posted to rec.woodworking
J. J. is offline

28 degrees here just north of NYC, basement shop maybe 10 degrees
warmer. Quartz heater on. I see your cold front's heading this way.
I have a huge box full of unsorted fasteners that I think I'll be
sorting -- in front of the fireplace in the living room! -- tomorrow. :-)

J.

Stoutman wrote:
Went out to do some woodworking on my bed project. I didn't last to long in
the cold woodshop.

Need a heater!

Posted to rec.woodworking

here in Minnee so ta we hit a high of 3 below with -30 wind chills.
went down to -20 last night.
15 above would be a warming trend. just went
out and stocked the wood furnace for the house and shop. shop is always
68 degrees with in-floor heat.
ross
www.highislandexport.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Stoutman" .@. wrote:
Went out to do some woodworking on my bed project. I didn't last to long in
the cold woodshop.

Remember the recent thread discussing the pros and cons of a basement
workshop?

*My* shop is toasty warm today... and every day...

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

well. . . .. it got down in the low 60s here (Oahu) which is chilly
to me when you realize we don't have heat in the house. I DO turn
on the de-humidifier, which throws off a little heat.
I left northern Ind. 50 or so yrs. ago just to escape those damnable
cold winters. Only return to visit summers !
Aloha,
Smitty

Stoutman wrote:
Went out to do some woodworking on my bed project. I didn't last to long in
the cold woodshop.

Need a heater!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stoutman wrote:
Went out to do some woodworking on my bed project. I didn't last to long in
the cold woodshop.

Need a heater!

When I was a kid, I had to walk 5 miles to school and home in the snow!
Uphill both ways. In a light jacket. Wearing shorts. Carrying books.
With holes in my socks. Pulling my two brothers on a sled. Without
runners. One time my tongue stuck to my teeth.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dude" wrote in message
When I was a kid, I had to walk 5 miles to school and home in the snow!
Uphill both ways. In a light jacket. Wearing shorts. Carrying books. With
holes in my socks. Pulling my two brothers on a sled. Without runners. One
time my tongue stuck to my teeth.

You forgot about the part where all you had for breakfast was sawdust.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"Dude" wrote in message
When I was a kid, I had to walk 5 miles to school and home in the snow!
Uphill both ways. In a light jacket. Wearing shorts. Carrying books. With
holes in my socks. Pulling my two brothers on a sled. Without runners.
One time my tongue stuck to my teeth.

You forgot about the part where all you had for breakfast was sawdust.

.... and "Too poor to pay attention" and "we lived so far back in the woods
we had to head towards town to hunt."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 19:55:07 GMT, "Dave Jackson"
wrote:

I hear ya! I've got a fire built, and a radiant kero going. The combo
couldn't keep the shop much above 50 deg. so I broke out the kero torpedo
which kicks on occasionally to maintain 60 deg so I can finish a glue up.

TB II is good to 55
TB III is good to 45

Round about december I switch to TB III, basement shop stays about 50.

-Leuf

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I hear ya! I've got a fire built, and a radiant kero going. The combo
couldn't keep the shop much above 50 deg. so I broke out the kero torpedo
which kicks on occasionally to maintain 60 deg so I can finish a glue up.

TB II is good to 55
TB III is good to 45

Round about december I switch to TB III, basement shop stays about 50.

T88 epoxy is good to 35. GE silicone (the original nonpaintable kind)
is good down into the negative numbers, but it's not all that great an
adhesive.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I hear ya! I've got a fire built, and a radiant kero going. The combo
couldn't keep the shop much above 50 deg. so I broke out the kero torpedo
which kicks on occasionally to maintain 60 deg so I can finish a glue up.

TB II is good to 55
TB III is good to 45

Round about december I switch to TB III, basement shop stays about 50.

TB Extend is good to 40

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/02/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jump on the latest Chicken Little Bandwagon:
"THE ICE AGE COMETH!"

Stoutman wrote:
Went out to do some woodworking on my bed project. I didn't last to long in
the cold woodshop.

Need a heater!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I hear ya! I've got a fire built, and a radiant kero going.

I've had to use both the block heater and the propane preheater before
flying this weekend. Love that Toyota 120v outlet in the pickup bed!

Picture blow drying your car with dust collection hose and hot air
before you can leave the driveway. While you're at it, picture your
car sliding across an icy driveway, with the brakes totally locked,
just because the engine is idling. G

We've been on a hangar waiting list for 2 1/2 years.

At least there's no snow banks to grab the wingtips...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 13:49:03 -0500, "Stoutman" .@. wrote:

Went out to do some woodworking on my bed project. I didn't last to long in
the cold woodshop.

Need a heater!

Yer all a pack of nancy boys. I live in the -40 capital of North
America. I'd love it if the temp hit a balmy -10. It's currently
-27 with an expected low of -34. Celcius.

Pete

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

TB Extend is good to 40

Maybe it is, but I'm not.

Anything below 65F, screw it.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:

We've been on a hangar waiting list for 2 1/2 years.

Thought marinas were the only ones who pulled that trick.

Live & learn.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 22:09:00 GMT, "Mark Jerde"
wrote:

.... snip

... and "Too poor to pay attention"

I think that one belongs, as an excuse, in another thread in progress.
;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking
sal sal is offline

You Yanks have no real sense of cold , went into my workshop it is -40c
did a little sanding had to give it up feet too cold . Bye the way I'm in
central Can.

Sal

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
Went out to do some woodworking on my bed project. I didn't last to long
in the cold woodshop.

Need a heater!

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 00:26:30 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

Swingman wrote:

TB Extend is good to 40

Maybe it is, but I'm not.

Anything below 65F, screw it.

My basement shop never gets above 65 even in the summer. 60 can
actually be pretty nice, especially if you are doing anything like
hand planing where you're going to work up a sweat. I'll have to go
down to a t-shirt to be comfortable.

55 is about my threshold for being comfortable with a reasonable
amount of layers.

Low 50s are doable, but the first half hour is pretty bad. Once I get
used to it and get focused on the work I don't really notice it
anymore. It's an encouragement to not stand around doing nothing.

-Leuf

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 18:40:16 -0600, "sal" wrote:

You Yanks have no real sense of cold ,

I'd say many of us have more sense than to live in an area where it gets
to -40C (or -40F for that matter, they are the same) on a regular basis.
;-)

Seems Wisconsin, Michigan, North Dakota tend to get to those temps pretty
regularly during the winter.

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
Went out to do some woodworking on my bed project. I didn't last to long
in the cold woodshop.

Need a heater!

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote in news:gH6xh.18690$yx6.9130
@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Subject

Found it necessary to return to Northern Ohio last week.

As I stepped off the plane and my senses got hit with 17F weather, I
remembered why I left.

During my stay, night time temps of 0F and wind chills of -10F were
common along with 12"-15" of snow in the "Snow Belt", east of Cleveland.

Oh well, at least the ground hog didn't see his shadow.

Maybe it will be warmer my next trip back.

Lew

I have a nephew in that area, near Cleveland, on temporary assignment for a
couple of years. Home for him is just east of Tuscon, AZ. He's freezing
hisself pretty good right about now.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

I can empathize Stoutman. I've built a number of things in the gar, er
shop when it was cold enough to see my breath. I finally broke down and
bought a unit heater. I insulated the garage door and that baby keeps it
as warm as I want it. Lately at night, when I do most of my work, it's
been getting into the teens (and lower) and I'm toasty warm. I think it
was around $400 off of Ebay (search for Dornback). Very similar to the Mr.
Heater version but a lot cheaper. It works great!
Cheers,
cc

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
Went out to do some woodworking on my bed project. I didn't last to long
in the cold woodshop.

Need a heater!

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Sat, Feb 3, 2007, 1:49pm (Stoutman) doth lament:
Went out to do some woodworking on my bed project. I didn't last to long
in the cold woodshop.
Need a heater!

Yeah, tell me about it. I live a tad east of Raleigh. We've had
snow twice this winter, and some of it even lasted until the next day
even.

Uh huh, yeah, sure, right, cold. I was born and raised in
Michigan, but stayed down here when I retired from the Army. It doesn't
get COLD down here, just cool. And my mother seriously thinks I'd like
to move back to Michigan. But it wasn't the weather that kept me from
doing that, it was the people. Worst damn winters I ever spent were
when I was at Ft Lee, VA. Never got lower than 32 degrees above zero
farenheight, but the wind cut right thru anything you wore.

JOAT
Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will
acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.
- Johann Von Schiller

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Sun, Feb 4, 2007, 9:20am (EST+5) (Puckdropper)
doth sayeth:
snip There's nothing like being on the interstate and knowing you're
still on the road but not knowing WHERE on the road you are... and some
nuts have the gall to go 30 and 40 mph?

Many years back, coming back from deer hunting. Road was packed
snot, slick, but no problem if you kept it to about 30 MPH or so.
Stopped along side the road to halp push a car out of the ditch. Maybe
a dozen cas stopped. Plenty of room to get thru. Road was straight
and level for a couple of miles behind us, and level a good half mile in
front. Cars coming would just slow downto about 15 MPH, no prob. One
car came down the hill, maybe 40 MPH. Kept coming. Then maybe 300
yards or more put on the brakes to slow up to go thru the cars. Brakes
locked, of course. Let off the brakes? No way. And, of course, with
the brakes locked, no matter which way you turn the wheel, the car is
not going to go any way but straight. So the driver proceeded to slowly
lose speed all that way, and eventually slammed right into one of the
cars parked off the pavement at the great speed of about 5 MPH, brakes
still locked. What a maroon.

You want nuts in the winter snows. Visit northern Virginia. Get a
skim of sow coming down and Ft lee would close down. Get a skim of snow
blowing across the highways, not of it sticking at all, and the local
drivers, the ones that were "daring" enough to get out in the snow storm
were doing about 15 MPH, with chains on. Hell, I never have even owned
a set of snow tires, let alone chains.