Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Too Freak'en cold

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 07:48:09 -0500, (J T)
wrote:

Sun, Feb 4, 2007, 9:20am (EST+5)
(Puckdropper)
doth sayeth:
snip There's nothing like being on the interstate and knowing you're
still on the road but not knowing WHERE on the road you are... and some
nuts have the gall to go 30 and 40 mph?

Many years back, coming back from deer hunting. Road was packed
snot, slick, but no problem if you kept it to about 30 MPH or so.
Stopped along side the road to halp push a car out of the ditch. Maybe
a dozen cas stopped. Plenty of room to get thru. Road was straight
and level for a couple of miles behind us, and level a good half mile in
front. Cars coming would just slow downto about 15 MPH, no prob. One
car came down the hill, maybe 40 MPH. Kept coming. Then maybe 300
yards or more put on the brakes to slow up to go thru the cars. Brakes
locked, of course. Let off the brakes? No way. And, of course, with
the brakes locked, no matter which way you turn the wheel, the car is
not going to go any way but straight. So the driver proceeded to slowly
lose speed all that way, and eventually slammed right into one of the
cars parked off the pavement at the great speed of about 5 MPH, brakes
still locked. What a maroon.

You want nuts in the winter snows. Visit northern Virginia. Get a
skim of sow coming down and Ft lee would close down. Get a skim of snow
blowing across the highways, not of it sticking at all, and the local
drivers, the ones that were "daring" enough to get out in the snow storm
were doing about 15 MPH, with chains on. Hell, I never have even owned
a set of snow tires, let alone chains.

Moved to Atlanta from Ohio. Was a major ice storm one day. GF calls
from work, can't get home. Drove around block to check road
condition. Put chains on (which had never been removed from the trunk
after moving south) mainly so that had brakes that worked (remember,
Atlanta--no plows, no salt trucks, no sand, just bare glare ice until
it gets enough old fashioned _dirt_ on it to have traction or decides
to melt). Stopped at four-way stop sign at top of hill. Noted
"bridge out" sign pointing to bridge at bottom of hill. Watched six
cars slide through stop sign, down hill, and land in creek. Noted all
drivers out and shouting at each other, decided didn't need my help,
went on and picked up GF.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , (J T) wrote:
[...]

Sounds like it coulda been my ex-wife. She called me at work early one January
morning... she had an accident. Smashed in the right rear door of her car on
the _rear_bumper_ of the guy ahead of her. Think about that one for a moment.

She's sliding sideways... and still going fast enough to catch up with, and
collide with, the guy ahead.

"Ummm... just how fast were you going?"

"Not very fast, only about 30."

THIRTY??? I drove that same stretch only twenty minutes before she did, and it
was so slick that I deemed it unsafe above FIVE. Wet black ice. And she's
driving thirty.

Two years later, she bashed in the right rear corner of her car on a highway
guardrail... in the median.

SWMBO 2.0 has been driving for almost thirty years, with zero accidents and
zero tickets.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yep, same here, just west of Austin, Tx. Might get to 60 today, sun's out, light wind out of the South......
"Jon" wrote in message . ..
Here in Chicago it is the same, heavily blowing winds with a wind chill
of -15 at 2pm. It is so cold my kerosene heater is not working so no
woodworking done today. They said sometime next week we should be in the
single digits, but then I big warmup to the 20's next weekend. WOO HOO!

Jon
"Lee" wrote in message
t...
Not sure where you are but here in central Wisc. we might get above
zero.... next week....for a high.
Wifey loves when I get up at 6 to start wood fire and.lug in the clamped
and glued pieces to cure in house .
Wood stove and an electric heater still takes 2 hours to get up to 60
Gotta love this global warming.
"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
Went out to do some woodworking on my bed project. I didn't last to long
in the cold woodshop.

Need a heater!

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, I've decided to brave the cold and open the shop today. Went out this
am to find it at 11deg INSIDE. Turned the kero torpedo on, lit the radiant
kero and headed out to split some fire wood. After 1/2 hour of splitting
wood, I was STILL cold. Went into the shop to find it at a cozy 34deg. It
actually felt pretty warm! Built a fire and let the heaters do their thing.
I've found the best way to warm cold fingers is to grab a card scraper and
get to work. Right now it's probably costing me about $2.00 a minute to
keep it at 55deg, but I'm making progress on a table top I glued up
yesterday! Hopefully the beer I left out there thaws out soon.....--dave

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
Went out to do some woodworking on my bed project. I didn't last to long
in the cold woodshop.

Need a heater!

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 4, 2:06 pm, "Dave Jackson" wrote:

Hopefully the beer I left out there thaws out soon.....--dave

Tip from a Canuckistani: after the beer thaws out, turn the bottle end-
over-end a few times...gently.
Then let sit for a couple of minutes and open it.
It was explained to me once..something about specific gravity. It made
sense and indeed it improves the taste after a freeze. I know a little
something about frozen beer; I used to be an avid ice-fisherman
(Sometimes I'd catch up to 30 pounds of ice!) but I stopped when
arthritis set in and it became too difficult to chop a big enough hole
in the ice for my boat to fit in.
I still miss the sound of the sinker hitting the ice after a nice long
cast....

Posted to rec.woodworking

A 4.8 KW contruction heater keeps my shop nice and toasty. But when I
have the DC, tablesaw AND the heater going, the breaker blows when the
compressor fires up.
My dream is under-floor radiant heating. Small boiler (could be
electric) and tubing in the floor. I love the feel of that.
Forced air is so dirty. And natural gas, although the cheapest for me
here, is not suitable because of the 'kaboom' factor when dealing with
solid surface adhesives and spraying contact cement.
I suppose one could do a natural gas boilerette outside the shop and
feed the tubes from there.
Looks like spring will be the time for me to build. 582 square feet is
the cut-off here. After that, you need to dig deep for proper footings
etc. That's 24 x 24-ish. Not what I wanted. Two of those would be
nice, we'll see what the city council has to say. I have room on
either property for 1000 sq-ft without violating the 'coverage' laws.
Concrete is so darned expensive!

Posted to rec.woodworking

(snip) Tip from a Canuckistani: after the beer thaws out, turn the bottle
end-
over-end a few times...gently.
Then let sit for a couple of minutes and open it.

I've implemented your suggestion few times now with several different test
samples. I've concluded the procedure is a success! Thanks! --dave

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 4, 2:06 pm, "Dave Jackson" wrote:

Hopefully the beer I left out there thaws out soon.....--dave

Tip from a Canuckistani: after the beer thaws out, turn the bottle end-
over-end a few times...gently.
Then let sit for a couple of minutes and open it.
It was explained to me once..something about specific gravity. It made
sense and indeed it improves the taste after a freeze. I know a little
something about frozen beer; I used to be an avid ice-fisherman
(Sometimes I'd catch up to 30 pounds of ice!) but I stopped when
arthritis set in and it became too difficult to chop a big enough hole
in the ice for my boat to fit in.
I still miss the sound of the sinker hitting the ice after a nice long
cast....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 14:09:27 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
Went out to do some woodworking on my bed project. I didn't last to long

in
the cold woodshop.

Need a heater!

Ditto ... although it's probably warm here by comparison (low 50's in the
sun). I did some "CAD woodworking" this morning (better than nothing) then
went out twice, but the residual cold in the shop from the 30's last night
just made it too uncomfortable to stay long.

Low 50s? That's T-shirt weather! We've got a low temp (not
windchill) of -21*F tonight.

Still pretty comfy in the basement shop, though.

Managed to put down a few layout marks before I quit and came back in to
warm myself up with an eternal wRec argument, or two ... can't wait for
those productive high 90's again!

See, now high 90s are when I can't get anything useful done.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 20:44:23 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 18:40:16 -0600, "sal" wrote:

You Yanks have no real sense of cold ,

I'd say many of us have more sense than to live in an area where it gets
to -40C (or -40F for that matter, they are the same) on a regular basis.
;-)

Seems Wisconsin, Michigan, North Dakota tend to get to those temps pretty
regularly during the winter.

Yep. It's not a matter of sense, though- it's a matter of what you're
comfortable at. To my eternal dismay, the weather inists on getting
hotter than 80 degrees (F) most summers. If I had my way, we'd have
the -40 in the winter as a tradeoff for the temp never going above 65
in the summer.

If it makes any of you guys feel any better about your chilly 50*
shops, I spent yesterday morning outside changing my wife's
transmission gasket when it was -5. (At least, that is, until the car
rolled off the jack and gave me a good smashing- there's a good
"injury by dumbass" for you.) Evidently, it was so cold that the
gasket froze and cracked. But it really was not so hard on me,
because I'm used to the weather.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Prometheus" wrote in message

All depends on where you are- in my town, I still see the grade-school
kids walking home on my way out to work every day, no matter how cold
it is.

Middle and High school has to be 1 mile or more to take the bus. I think it
is half that for grade school. I see a lot of parents driving their kids
short distances even in mild weather. Or waiting in the car until the bus
comes. And on some routs, the bus stops at every damned house instead of
making the kid group together to speed things up.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

THE FROZEN LOGGER
A forty year old waitress to me these words did say:
As I sat down one evening within a small cafe,
"I see that you are a logger, and not just a common bum,
'Cause nobody but a logger stirs his coffee with is thumb.
If you'd pour whiskey on it he could eat a bale of hay
He never shaved his whiskers from off of his horny hide;
My lover was a logger, there's none like him today;
He'd just drive them in with a hammer and bite them off inside.
My lover came to see me upon one freezing day;
He held me in his fond embrace which broke three vertebrae.
He kissed me when we parted, so hard that he broke my jaw;
I saw my lover leaving, sauntering through the snow,
I could not speak to tell him he'd forgot his mackinaw.
Going gaily homeward at forty-eight below.
The weather it tried to freeze him, it tried its level best;
At a hundred degrees below zero, he buttoned up his vest.
They made him into axeblades, to chop the Douglas fir.
It froze clean through to China, it froze to the stars above;
At a thousand degrees below zero, it froze my logger love.
They tried in vain to thaw him, and would you believe me, sir
And so I lost my lover, and to this cafe I come,
And here I wait till someone stirs his coffee with his thumb."
THE FROZEN LOGGERA forty year old waitress to me these words did say:As
I sat down one evening within a small cafe,"I see that you are a logger,
and not just a common bum,'Cause nobody but a logger stirs his coffee
with is thumb.If you'd pour whiskey on it he could eat a bale of hayHe
never shaved his whiskers from off of his horny hide;My lover was a
logger, there's none like him today;He'd just drive them in with a
hammer and bite them off inside.My lover came to see me upon one
freezing day;He held me in his fond embrace which broke three
vertebrae.He kissed me when we parted, so hard that he broke my jaw;I
saw my lover leaving, sauntering through the snow,I could not speak to
tell him he'd forgot his mackinaw.Going gaily homeward at forty

JOAT
Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will
acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.
- Johann Von Schiller

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 03:32:32 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Prometheus" wrote in message

All depends on where you are- in my town, I still see the grade-school
kids walking home on my way out to work every day, no matter how cold
it is.

Middle and High school has to be 1 mile or more to take the bus. I think it
is half that for grade school. I see a lot of parents driving their kids
short distances even in mild weather. Or waiting in the car until the bus
comes. And on some routs, the bus stops at every damned house instead of
making the kid group together to speed things up.

Lucky you that you live in an area where kids are still allowed to go
to the local school.

Here (a subdivision) the bus stops at each interesection. Every
morning I see at least two parents who live in the middle of the block
sitting their in their cars waiting for the bus to cart Junior off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3 Feb 2007 13:53:03 -0800, "

well. . . .. it got down in the low 60s here (Oahu) which is chilly
to me when you realize we don't have heat in the house. I DO turn
on the de-humidifier, which throws off a little heat.
I left northern Ind. 50 or so yrs. ago just to escape those damnable
cold winters. Only return to visit summers !
Aloha,
Smitty

60F in Hawaii? What is the world coming to?

It must be global warming.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 14:53:04 -0700, Dude wrote:

Stoutman wrote:
Went out to do some woodworking on my bed project. I didn't last to long in
the cold woodshop.

Need a heater!

When I was a kid, I had to walk 5 miles to school and home in the snow!
Uphill both ways. In a light jacket. Wearing shorts. Carrying books.
With holes in my socks. Pulling my two brothers on a sled. Without
runners. One time my tongue stuck to my teeth.

My dad told me all that. Plus the fact that he was chased by bears
too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Probably worth trottin' this one out again...

50° Fahrenheit (10°C) --- Californians shiver uncontrollably, Canadians
plant gardens.

35° Fahrenheit (1.6°C) --- Italian cars won't start, Canadians drive
with the windows down.

32° Fahrenheit (0°C) --- American water freezes, Canadian water gets
thicker.

0° Fahrenheit (-17.9°C) --- New York City landlords finally turn on the
heat, Canadians have the last barbecue of the season.

-60° Fahrenheit (-51°C) --- Mt. St. Helens freezes, Canadians Girl
Guides sell cookies door to door.

-100° Fahrenheit (-73°C) --- Santa Claus abandons the North Pole, Ottawa
opens the Rideau canal for skating.

-173° Fahrenheit (-114°C) --- Ethyl alcohol freezes, Canadians get
frustrated when they can't thaw the keg.

-460° Fahrenheit (-273°C) --- Absolute zero; all atomic motion stops,
Canadians start saying "cold, eh?"

-500° Fahrenheit (-295°C) --- Hell freezes over, Toronto Maple Leafs win
the Stanley Cup.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Payne" wrote

On 03/02/2007 4:53 PM, Dude wrote:

When I was a kid, I had to walk 5 miles to school and home in the snow!
Uphill both ways. In a light jacket. Wearing shorts. Carrying books. With
holes in my socks. Pulling my two brothers on a sled. Without runners.
One time my tongue stuck to my teeth.

You had socks?

I remember one snowy morning when I was a kid walking to the bus stop. It
was cold and windy. The bus was a little late and we were happy to get onto
a heated bus. A short distance away, the bus got stuck. The driver was
frantic. We told him to calm down. We would go home and get the tractor and
pull him out.

We took our time, had a few snowball fights and eventually got the bus
pulled out. The driver was still frantic and wanted us to leave the tractor
at the neighbor's place. We said no. We returned the tractor to it's
shelter.

When I eventually got to school, hours late, the principal met me and asked
what happened. When I told him, he burst out laughing. When I asked him
what was so funny, he said that I was the only seventh grade student he ever
had that pulled out a big yellow school bus with the family tractor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stoutman wrote:
Went out to do some woodworking on my bed project. I didn't last to long in
the cold woodshop.

Need a heater!

I just got a natural gas unit heater installed in my garshop today. 45K
Btu/hr.

Got an unpleasant surprise though...apparently there is no insulation in
the ceiling, even though the walls are insulated. Just bought the house
in November, saw insulation in the walls and vapour barrier around the
edges of the ceiling so I assumed it was insulated up there. No access
hatch, so I couldn't actually look up there.

Oh well, gives me a chance to do it right I guess...

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 4, 11:49 pm, (J T) wrote:
Sun, Feb 4, 2007, 2:29pm (EST-3) (Robatoy) doth
sayeth:
snip became too difficult to chop a big enough hole in the ice for my
boat to fit in.
I still miss the sound of the sinker hitting the ice after a nice long
cast....

What's really a bitch is making the hole long enough for trolling.

LOL..then the image struck me of a series of individual holes, on
either side of the long hole for the oars..... then again, I may not
think like other people.
You could get some fricking leverage though.... but then you wouldn't
be trolling any more... you could go skiing.

There's a Canadian beer commercial in there somewhere. We call that
self-defacating humour here.

I love the concept.. a canoe with a tighter rib package for a breaker-
bow.
Problem.. you could ride the thing onto the ice..then what? What-the-
hell, might as well go fishing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 5, 6:50 pm, Chris Friesen wrote:

Oh well, gives me a chance to do it right I guess...

There is a lot to be said for doing insulation right....and to do it
right, you often have to do it yourself. (I don't suggest you take out
your own appendix.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Prometheus wrote:
...snipped...
Yeah, right. I've heard probably all of those. Way back until we
moved just before I got in the 7th grade. We lived on a dead-end
street, insid of town limits. Which made me, and the neighbor kids,
ineligible to get bus rides. So we all had a nice half mile one-way
walk to school, starting in fhe first grade (no kindergarten back then)
until we moved. Rain, sun, snow, whatever, we walked both ways.
Nowadays that'd probably be considered cruel and inhumane. Back then no
one thought anything of it. How times have changed. This was in
Michigan, so you know we got snow. When we moved I was on a school bus
route. I thought I was squattin' in tall cotten then.

All depends on where you are- in my town, I still see the grade-school
kids walking home on my way out to work every day, no matter how cold
it is.

Ah, the good old days... I grew up in a small town in Pa that had a single
jr high for the entire town & much of the surrounding area. It was 9
blocks, a little under a mile, from my house, & lots of kids I knew had
to walk several blocks further. The Junior high had no cafeteria,
so the lunch break was 1 1/2 hours, plenty of time for a 12 year old to
get into trouble. We had the option at lunch time of walking home &
back, walking to the High School about 6 blocks away to use the
cafeteria there, or eating at one of several diners or sub shops within
a few blocks of the school. One plus, the city transit bus was 15 cents
for a minor, but man, that was a lot of money in those days. For
35 cents I could go to a Saturday matinee at one of the towns 2
movie theaters, and see a newsreel, cartoon, serial, and main feature,
sometimes a double feature! I sometimes think about how my brother
and friends and I, at the age of 8 or 9, used to walk or bicycle
all over that area, probably within a range of 2 or 3 miles in any
direction from our neighborhood. Today (living in Baltimore) I wouldn't
let my 10 year old go 5 blocks from our house without an adult.

plausible, and wrong." (Mencken)

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org