Posted to rec.woodworking
MG MG is offline

Default Gorilla Glue Thinner?

Sorry for the dual posting but I posted to "woodturning" by mistake.

I have a half bottle of Gorilla glue that has thickened a bit, does not
seems to have set.
Is there a solvent/thinner that can be used.

From the smell looks like Alcohol could work.

Thanks
Mauro

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article k.net, "MG" wrote:

I have a half bottle of Gorilla glue that has thickened a bit, does not
seems to have set.
Is there a solvent/thinner that can be used.

Test a little bit of it on scrap wood. If it bonds ok, then go ahead and use
it as it is. Otherwise, throw it out.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
MG MG is offline

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...
In article k.net, "MG"
wrote:

I have a half bottle of Gorilla glue that has thickened a bit, does not
seems to have set.
Is there a solvent/thinner that can be used.

Test a little bit of it on scrap wood. If it bonds ok, then go ahead and
use
it as it is. Otherwise, throw it out.

--
Regards,

I know it works fine but it is hard to squeeze out of the hole and does not
flow to the spout when the bottle is inverted.
Mauro

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article k.net, "MG" wrote:

I know it works fine but it is hard to squeeze out of the hole and does not
flow to the spout when the bottle is inverted.

If it's *that* thick, it's time to toss it, and get a fresh bottle.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"MG" wrote in message
hlink.net...

I know it works fine but it is hard to squeeze out of the hole and does
not flow to the spout when the bottle is inverted.
Mauro

Even if it will still bond, throw it out, it's not worth the aggravation or
risk.

It sounds like it has started to cure. It cures in the present of water.

Regular white or yellow wood glue cures from evaporation.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

"MG" wrote in message
hlink.net...

I know it works fine but it is hard to squeeze out of the hole and does
not flow to the spout when the bottle is inverted.
Mauro

Even if it will still bond, throw it out, it's not worth the aggravation or
risk.

It sounds like it has started to cure. It cures in the present of water.

Regular white or yellow wood glue cures from evaporation.

Love the stuff but I buy the smallest bottle possible as it has a
miserably short shelf life. Even unopened I find it's pretty gone in six
months.

Cheers
Posted to rec.woodworking

acetone is the recommended thinner. I use up a normal size bottle in a
month or two but sometimes the cap pops off and the last bit gets
thicker. put in a little acetone and leave it for a day or so and it
will thin down.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve knight" wrote in message
acetone is the recommended thinner. I use up a normal size bottle in a
month or two but sometimes the cap pops off and the last bit gets
thicker. put in a little acetone and leave it for a day or so and it
will thin down.

Really! How long does that last? I typically use acetone to clean up
uncured polyurethane but was skeptical as to its ability to rethin and work
properly. Obviously you have had good results.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve knight wrote:

acetone is the recommended thinner. I use up a normal size bottle in a
month or two but sometimes the cap pops off and the last bit gets
thicker. put in a little acetone and leave it for a day or so and it
will thin down.

I can get it that hinning like that can restore the glue to a useable
viscosity, but how does it affect the final bonding strength?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"MG" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Sorry for the dual posting but I posted to "woodturning" by mistake.

I have a half bottle of Gorilla glue that has thickened a bit, does not
seems to have set.
Is there a solvent/thinner that can be used.

From the smell looks like Alcohol could work.

Thanks
Mauro

I have read that the glue keeps better when stored spout-down. My bottle
was pretty well used and starting to set as well when I tried this. What I
got was some drool out the spout into the cap - very difficult to remove. I
used it for one last project by cutting off the snout and smearing with a
small blade screwdriver. I believe it's just the nature of the beast.

Gorilla Glue vs. Elmers Ultimate Glue Polyurethane? blueman Home Repair 7 January 23rd 20 02:44 PM
Gorilla Glue Thinner MG Woodturning 5 February 17th 07 06:30 PM
Elmers Ultimate Glue or Gorilla Glue - TIA Happiness is Woodworking 8 October 11th 06 06:19 PM
Gorilla glue Gene Woodworking 7 April 4th 06 11:28 AM
How to use gorilla glue toller Woodworking 7 December 16th 04 02:56 PM