Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How not to start your saw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp-bQQl3FWY

This guy has an olf Craftsman saw with a bad starter cap. Watch him flirt
with disaster as he starts it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"EWCM" wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp-bQQl3FWY

This guy has an olf Craftsman saw with a bad starter cap. Watch him flirt
with disaster as he starts it.

And the chance for disaster continues with his practice of crosscutting with
the board against the fence.
Dumb & dumber.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 22:18:38 GMT, "Max"
wrote:

"EWCM" wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp-bQQl3FWY

This guy has an olf Craftsman saw with a bad starter cap. Watch him flirt
with disaster as he starts it.

And the chance for disaster continues with his practice of crosscutting with
the board against the fence.
Dumb & dumber.

I hope he's at least had the foresight to teach his daughter how to
dial 911..

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Max" wrote:

"EWCM" wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp-bQQl3FWY

This guy has an olf Craftsman saw with a bad starter cap. Watch him flirt
with disaster as he starts it.

And the chance for disaster continues with his practice of crosscutting with
the board against the fence.
Dumb & dumber.

No ear or eye protection either. Wearing sandals besides.

What a dummy.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hopefully the daughter is not in the same room with him and the table saw.
Its so bad I wonder if its an act and he's just trying to look
dumb/dangerous and stir up some reaction !

wrote:

"EWCM" wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp-bQQl3FWY

This guy has an olf Craftsman saw with a bad starter cap. Watch him
flirt
with disaster as he starts it.

And the chance for disaster continues with his practice of crosscutting
with
the board against the fence.
Dumb & dumber.

I hope he's at least had the foresight to teach his daughter how to
dial 911..

-Leuf

Posted to rec.woodworking

"EWCM" wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp-bQQl3FWY

This guy has an olf Craftsman saw with a bad starter cap. Watch him flirt
with disaster as he starts it.

Why would he post the video? Is he proud of his accomplishment?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 23:48:51 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"EWCM" wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp-bQQl3FWY

This guy has an olf Craftsman saw with a bad starter cap. Watch him flirt
with disaster as he starts it.

Why would he post the video? Is he proud of his accomplishment?

If you look at his other videos you can watch him try to frame a wall.
He's apparently just recording the progress of his project, but in
video instead of the pictures.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

That idiot is fortunate beyond belief! Good thing the cut off piece didn't
jam between the blade and the fence fly back and knock his daughter out
cold!

"EWCM" wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp-bQQl3FWY

This guy has an olf Craftsman saw with a bad starter cap. Watch him flirt
with disaster as he starts it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"EWCM" wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp-bQQl3FWY

This guy has an olf Craftsman saw with a bad starter cap. Watch him flirt
with disaster as he starts it.

And the chance for disaster continues with his practice of crosscutting with
the board against the fence.
Dumb & dumber.

Max

Let's look at this a little closer.

First, his starting method -- it ain't pretty, but I think you are
assigning way more hysteria to it than the situation warrants. Possible
failure mechanisms? 1) bucket falls down, motor falls onto belt, motor
fails to start. 2) foot slips on outside shaft -- motor fails to start 3)
He screws up and pliers hits pulley, pulley pulls pliers away from him,
smacks plier inside table saw. Of all the scenarios, this has the most
possibility for disaster by having stuff thrown back at him, but that's
pretty low probability. The way his is holding the pliers shows that he
isn't going to get grabbed with the pliers, they will be pulled from his
hand. As I said, it's not pretty, but it's not going to turn him into a
quadrapalegic either.

Second, cross-cutting with a rip fence. If this were a higher powered
saw, there is absolutely no doubt that the danger of kickback and other
disaster is way high, especially with no splitter. However, this is a
small, 40-year old Craftsman table-top table saw (My dad has an equivalent
60+ year old Wards PowerKraft saw). These saws are tremendously
low-powered, as you can hear as he is trying to cut that piece of plywood.
Kickback is highly unlikely -- what is going to happen is he is going to
jam the blade and stall the motor. One of the dangers of these small saws
is that people get used to using them with all of their warts, including
stalling the blade when doing something dumb. Then they buy a
higher-powered saw, use the same techniques and wind up with real kickback.
That said, for this particular case, this is really not going to result in
bad things happening on *that* particular saw as long as the guy maintains
a strong grip.

Finally, yep not using hearing protection is a bad idea, and he will most
likely pay for that down the road. OTOH, there are car stereo systems out
there that put out more dB sound than that tablesaw.

In short, this video is certainly not a safety campaign poster example,
but it is not the spinning blades o' death folks are making it out to be.
Would I do those things? Nope, nor would I recommend them. However, I'm
not going to get spun up in a tizzy over them either.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

Snip

Second, cross-cutting with a rip fence. If this were a higher powered
saw, there is absolutely no doubt that the danger of kickback and other
disaster is way high, especially with no splitter. However, this is a
small, 40-year old Craftsman table-top table saw (My dad has an
equivalent
60+ year old Wards PowerKraft saw). These saws are tremendously
low-powered, as you can hear as he is trying to cut that piece of plywood.
Kickback is highly unlikely --

Wrong! Just as likely as with any other saw used in this manor. Power has
nothing to do with the likely hood of kick back.

Posted to rec.woodworking

And you wonder why there are so many safty stickers on tools!
"EWCM" wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp-bQQl3FWY

This guy has an olf Craftsman saw with a bad starter cap. Watch him flirt
with disaster as he starts it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

Second, cross-cutting with a rip fence. If this were a higher powered
saw, there is absolutely no doubt that the danger of kickback and other
disaster is way high, especially with no splitter. However, this is a
small, 40-year old Craftsman table-top table saw (My dad has an

equivalent
60+ year old Wards PowerKraft saw). These saws are tremendously
low-powered, as you can hear as he is trying to cut that piece of plywood.

It looked to me to be a Craftsman Model 10 which is neither small (10"), nor
were they under powered, even with the original motors. That said, I
largely agree with the intent of your post Mark. As I watched the video, it
just was not clear to me that the plywood was up against the fence. Just
could not tell from the video. If it was, it's unlikely the cutoff would
have simply laid there as it did. I suspect the fence was over to the right
side of the table and the wood was not really up against it.

Kickback is highly unlikely -- what is going to happen is he is going to
jam the blade and stall the motor.

I'd disagree with you on this point Mark. Kickback could be very likely
even with an underpowered motor. He never stalled the saw and as long as
the blade is spinning at speed or near speed, kickback from pinching the
wood into the rising teeth is likely. That said - I'll repeat myself by
saying I'm not sure that was really a problem or a potential for this
fellow.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

It looked to me to be a Craftsman Model 10 which is neither small (10"),
nor
were they under powered, even with the original motors. That said, I
largely agree with the intent of your post Mark. As I watched the video,
it
just was not clear to me that the plywood was up against the fence. Just
could not tell from the video. If it was, it's unlikely the cutoff would
have simply laid there as it did. I suspect the fence was over to the
right
side of the table and the wood was not really up against it.

I wondered the same thing about the fence. However, the way he had to pull
the piece off the end of the saw after the cut made me think he was up
against the fence... the whole thing was pretty dangerous. As was his other
clip with him sitting on top of the wall with the circular saw held between
his knees and then on top of a ladder holding the wall with his left hand
behind and his arm under the saw while cutting. A kick back there would have
sent the blade right through his forearm...

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 17:05:09 -0500, "EWCM"
wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp-bQQl3FWY

This guy has an olf Craftsman saw with a bad starter cap. Watch him flirt
with disaster as he starts it.

I think he should just crank the blade all the way up, spin it as fast
as he can by hand then kick in the motor. If it doesn't catch, he can
keep spinning until it does. If he's pretty quick he shouldn't lose
too much blood and meat.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp-bQQl3FWY

This guy has an olf Craftsman saw with a bad starter cap. Watch him flirt
with disaster as he starts it.

I think he should just crank the blade all the way up, spin it as fast
as he can by hand then kick in the motor. If it doesn't catch, he can
keep spinning until it does. If he's pretty quick he shouldn't lose
too much blood and meat.

He should just hit the power _then_ give it a spin. (How did I _ever_
survive my youth?)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp-bQQl3FWY

This guy has an olf Craftsman saw with a bad starter cap. Watch him flirt
with disaster as he starts it.

This guy is going to have a very serious accident in the not too
distant future. He must be bucking for a Darwin Award.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 11:31:20 -0500, J. Clarke
wrote:

He should just hit the power _then_ give it a spin. (How did I _ever_
survive my youth?)

Thinking back, how did *any* of us survive our youth?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

He should just hit the power _then_ give it a spin. (How did I _ever_
survive my youth?)

Thinking back, how did *any* of us survive our youth?

At 64, it's too early to be making predictions.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"EWCM" writes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp-bQQl3FWY

This guy has an olf Craftsman saw with a bad starter cap. Watch him flirt
with disaster as he starts it.

While there, I noticed this one on a guy assembling his own Stonehenge
using no machinery - not even a pulley - solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRRDzFROMx0

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 20:36:20 +0000 (UTC), Bruce Barnett
wrote:

"EWCM" writes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp-bQQl3FWY

This guy has an olf Craftsman saw with a bad starter cap. Watch him flirt
with disaster as he starts it.

While there, I noticed this one on a guy assembling his own Stonehenge
using no machinery - not even a pulley - solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRRDzFROMx0

Dayum! I thought that I knew how to move stuff. That's impressive as
Hell. Did you check out his Web site
http://www.theforgottentechnology.com/?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 08:54:16 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

.... snip

Kickback is highly unlikely -- what is going to happen is he is going to
jam the blade and stall the motor.

I'd disagree with you on this point Mark. Kickback could be very likely
even with an underpowered motor. He never stalled the saw and as long as
the blade is spinning at speed or near speed, kickback from pinching the
wood into the rising teeth is likely. That said - I'll repeat myself by
saying I'm not sure that was really a problem or a potential for this
fellow.

I'll retract that part of my comment.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"EWCM" writes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp-bQQl3FWY

This guy has an olf Craftsman saw with a bad starter cap. Watch him flirt
with disaster as he starts it.

While there, I noticed this one on a guy assembling his own Stonehenge
using no machinery - not even a pulley - solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRRDzFROMx0

What!? You mean it wasn't aliens with anti-gravity rays? Next you'll be
telling us that the ancient Egyptians understood the principles of rollers,
pulleys, and leverage.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 04:21:04 GMT, "CW" wrote:

Recent findings are that they understood how to make and pour concrete.

Considering that the last Pharaoh was doing some guy named Caesar and
the Romans most assuredly knew concrete (knew something we don't
apparently if the longevity of their concrete structures vs ours is
any indicator) it seems very likely that the Egyptians if they didn't
know before picked it up from the Romans.

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
.. .
Next you'll be
telling us that the ancient Egyptians understood the principles of

rollers,
pulleys, and leverage.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

What!? You mean it wasn't aliens with anti-gravity rays? Next you'll

be
telling us that the ancient Egyptians understood the principles of

rollers,
pulleys, and leverage.

That's just too far fetched. I'm sticking with the alien theory.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

I did not read most of the other posts but this is dangerous, no
question about it. However, I used to start my neighbors concrete
mixer - belt driven - by rotating the drum and then flipping the
switch. Otherwise the motor just hummed. It would run empty but this
method was necessary when components where in the drum.
Marc

On Jan 26, 5:05 pm, "EWCM" wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp-bQQl3FWY

This guy has an olf Craftsman saw with a bad starter cap. Watch him flirt
with disaster as he starts it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , J. Clarke wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 04:21:04 GMT, "CW" wrote:

Recent findings are that they understood how to make and pour concrete.

Considering that the last Pharaoh was doing some guy named Caesar and
the Romans most assuredly knew concrete (knew something we don't
apparently if the longevity of their concrete structures vs ours is
any indicator) it seems very likely that the Egyptians if they didn't
know before picked it up from the Romans.

My guess is it may have been the other way around.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 26, 2:05 pm, "EWCM" wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp-bQQl3FWY

This guy has an old Craftsman saw with a bad starter cap.

Not really. The early scene shows the motor, the rotor clearly has
a centrifugal switch built in. He just has a bit of dirt/sawdust
in the start switch contacts. If he finds them, and burnishes them,
like by rubbing with a strip of paper, it all starts working like new.
It isn't a capacitor-start motor.

As for the bad bearing, perhaps that's a misattribution of
dried out grease, which can be fixed with solvent/heat and new grease).

Where do i start vish UK diy 4 January 27th 07 05:22 PM
Where do you start? Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 34 September 19th 06 08:29 AM
Why did I start this? foggytown Woodworking 15 September 11th 06 06:16 PM
Where do I start? Reggie Woodturning 1 January 7th 05 07:15 PM
Kenmore dryer 2002 Push to start will start motor but will not stay on. Doug Home Repair 2 August 18th 04 11:32 PM