Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sears charges restocking fee

Be careful what you buy at Sears. They now charge a 15% restocking fee
for opened merchandise.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
Be careful what you buy at Sears. They now charge a 15% restocking fee
for opened merchandise.

Mike

If it is only what I read below from the Sears web site, it is fair
a.. A 15% restocking fee applies on Tires, select Home Appliances, Home
Electronics, Home Improvement, Household Goods, Lawn & Garden, and
Automotive products not returned in the original box, unused, and containing
all original product packaging and accessories.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Agreed, it does seem fair for those circumstances; you can't expect
them to take a loss for other people's abuse. But the receipt is more
general, saying that it applies to all opened merchandise. And it
applied to the unused tool I tried to return today.

Anyway, just be careful.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
Be careful what you buy at Sears. They now charge a 15% restocking fee
for opened merchandise.

Mike

I felt that too many people took advantage of the old policy and therefore
the rest of us suffered in the prices we had to pay. It was common for
people to "buy" a rear projection tv just before the Super Bowl, get 6
months or longer no interest or payments and return it the week after the
game for full credit. Camcorders came back right after the wedding,
sometimes with the tape of the wedding still in the camcorder but tape was
usually missing. Remember, 2000? The big scare was that the electricity
grid was going to fail so the product that month(December/January) was
generators. Then there were snowblowers bought in the Fall and returned in
the Spring, lawnmowers bought in the Spring and returned in the Fall. Power
tools bought for the big remodeling job and returned right after. I could
go on and on but I think you get the point. Perhaps with the restocking
fee, they'll lower prices.. You think?

Tom G.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
roups.com...
Be careful what you buy at Sears. They now charge a 15% restocking fee
for opened merchandise.

MAJOR SNIP ... . . . Perhaps with the restocking
fee, they'll lower prices.. You think?

Tom G.

Yeah, sure they'll lower the prices just like the solvent
manufacturers are now lowering the prices of their solvents with oil
down to $50 bucks a barrel. Don't hold your breath.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Be careful what you buy at Sears.

No need to... I buy nothing at Sears. G

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yep....it applied to a number of tools (auto light/multimeters) that I
purchased just before Christmas.

I didn't notice the restocking notice until I got home and reviewed
the receipt...*******s.

Sears is quickly becoming the place I do not shop which is a shame
since I have spent tens of thousands of dollars there over the
decades.

All good things must come an end....where will the next generation
shop for tools as the retail store offerings turn to crap?

TMT

On Jan 23, 9:33 pm, wrote:
Agreed, it does seem fair for those circumstances; you can't expect
them to take a loss for other people's abuse. But the receipt is more
general, saying that it applies to all opened merchandise. And it
applied to the unused tool I tried to return today.

Anyway, just be careful.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yep....it applied to a number of tools (auto light/multimeters) that I
purchased just before Christmas.

I didn't notice the restocking notice until I got home and reviewed
the receipt...*******s.

I have mixed feelings about it. Too often, a person would buy the tool, do
a job, then return it. All stores have horror stories about returned
merchandise and as a customer, we pay for the abuse by others. This is one
way to prevent it and keep cost lower.

There may be very good reasons to return a tool that has been opened. They
should be deal with properly. Using that multi-meter for troubleshooting
and then returning it is just plain abuse. They should not take it back. If
you decided you'd want a different model, then yes, take it back for credit.

In the past 25 years or so, I can only think of one return I made. A set of
spade bits there were crap. If the company loses money because of my
return, they deserve it because they wee not worth owning. But if I bought a
tool and used it, decided I don't want it any more, then it should be my
loss, not every other customer of hte store.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I agree...I too have mixed feelings about the situation...those who
"rent" equipment should pay it.

I should mention that I did not return any of the multimeters or
lights nor did I plan to...it was the fact that a new policy had been
implemented under the table.

In my case, the only indication of the new policy was two lines of
print at the end of a 30" cashier receipt...no other signs or
information from the staff.

And the restocking fee applies whether or not you opened the package.

And it applied to anything that was given as a gift.

A 15% restocking fee applies on any returns...no exceptions.

I also find it interesting that over the years Sears has continued to
sell returned merchandise as new. More than once I have had to remind
them that an obviously returned item needs to be sold as a discount
for being used.

The other interesting sidenote is after leaving Sears I visited a Best
Buy store to review digital cameras to compare prices that I see in
CA. There I discovered that any digital camera or laptop you purchase
now and then return (even unopened) is subject to a 15% restocking
fee. I asked if those same unopened products were then sold at a
discount because they were unopened and unused...they were not. It
would seem that the retail stores are now trying to have it both ways.

As a matter of personal policy, if I can't return it then I will not
buy it.

I think in time the stores will get the hint....

TMT

On Feb 5, 12:36 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

I should mention that Sears has a limited 30 day return on anything
now...afterwards you cannot return it.

More than a few people discovered this when attempting to exchange
Christmas presents that were purchased earlier in the year.

TMT

On Feb 5, 1:56 pm, "Too_Many_Tools" wrote:
[...]

loss, not every other customer of hte store.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5 Feb 2007 11:56:07 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools" wrote:

[...]

Canadian tire now has a seven day return policy on power tools that also applies to
gifts.
So you are SOL if you get a gift that you don't like or need from the Canadian Tire
tool department.
Their liberal return policy was the ONLY good reason to buy Mastercrap.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

snip

And the restocking fee applies whether or not you opened the package.

And it applied to anything that was given as a gift.

A 15% restocking fee applies on any returns...no exceptions.

From Sears' web site:

"A 15% restocking fee applies on Tires, select Home Appliances, Home
Electronics, Home Improvement, Household Goods, Lawn & Garden, and
Automotive products not returned in the original box, unused, and
containing all original product packaging and accessories."

Note the "not returned in the original box, unused, and containing all
original product packaging and accessories."

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 18:36:35 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

[...]

The ones that annoy me are the folks who have something break on them,
go to the store and buy an identical model, put the broken one in the
box and return it for credit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I suspect you're gonna get awful hungry. Of course I've never _tried_
to return anything to a grocer.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote in
:

*trim*

I suspect you're gonna get awful hungry. Of course I've never _tried_
to return anything to a grocer.

*trim*

My family's done it once or twice before. Once in a great great while
you get milk well within the expiration date and it's bad.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 15:30:17 -0500, J. Clarke
wrote:

I suspect you're gonna get awful hungry. Of course I've never _tried_
to return anything to a grocer.

I have an acquaintance who manages a Albums store.

As silly as it sounds, folks do occasionally return bad food, and the
stores will usually give a refund. Usually, it's meat and fish that
come back, with just a few bites gone.

He does have some silly stories of people, one involves a return of 6
ounces of a 3 pound roast.
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote in
:

*snip*

He does have some silly stories of people, one involves a return of 6
ounces of a 3 pound roast.

Well, you know... The guarantee labels on food usually say "return the
unused portion" or as the skittles bag says "Please save the unused
product and the wrapper." with their quality guarantee.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for posting what the Sears site says...I was aware of it.

My point is that the store I dealt with had even tougher requirements
than what the site has.

Buyer beware.

TMT

On Feb 5, 2:15 pm, Nova wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

snip

And the restocking fee applies whether or not you opened the package.

And it applied to anything that was given as a gift.

A 15% restocking fee applies on any returns...no exceptions.

From Sears' web site:

"A 15% restocking fee applies on Tires, select Home Appliances, Home
Electronics, Home Improvement, Household Goods, Lawn & Garden, and
Automotive products not returned in the original box, unused, and
containing all original product packaging and accessories."

Note the "not returned in the original box, unused, and containing all
original product packaging and accessories."

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

You don't want them to charge a restocking fee for returned
merchandise, but you want them to sell returned merchandise
at a discount.

Don't you see the contradiction?

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
\
And the restocking fee applies whether or not you opened the package.

And it applied to anything that was given as a gift.

A 15% restocking fee applies on any returns...no exceptions.

I also find it interesting that over the years Sears has continued to
sell returned merchandise as new. More than once I have had to remind
them that an obviously returned item needs to be sold as a discount
for being used.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5 Feb 2007 00:48:38 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

Yep....it applied to a number of tools (auto light/multimeters) that I
purchased just before Christmas.

I didn't notice the restocking notice until I got home and reviewed
the receipt...*******s.

Sears is quickly becoming the place I do not shop which is a shame
since I have spent tens of thousands of dollars there over the
decades.

All good things must come an end....where will the next generation
shop for tools as the retail store offerings turn to crap?

That is easy- online shopping. I'm lucky to have a Farm and Fleet
nearby that has most of the big stuff I want, but anything that even
hints of rarity gets bought off the internet. Works just fine- it's
an old idea (catalog shopping) that's just been sped up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Thanks for posting what the Sears site says...I was aware of it.

My point is that the store I dealt with had even tougher requirements
than what the site has.

Buyer beware.

TMT

The store is in violation of the corporate policy. Report them.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

No contradiction.

The selling of used merchandise as new is illegal.

The reason why I know they do it is that I several years ago I
returned an UNUSED drill to Sears. On my next visit, I noted that it
was on sale for full retail price. I noted this to a clerk thinking
that a mistake had been made. The next time I visited, the same drill
at the same price was still there. I then alerted a manager of the
oversight. ON THE NEXT VISIT, the same drill for the same price was
still there. When I asked them what was going on, no answer. I
mentioned that I would contact the authorities if I saw the same used
drill on the next viist.

On the next visit, the drill had been marked down as it was supposed
to be.

After this experience, I watched them closely and saw several other
situations of used equipment being sold as new.

I would consider that is sufficient evidence that it was intentional.

I also note that Sears has been successfully sued for defrauding the
public.

TMT

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

\

And the restocking fee applies whether or not you opened the package.

And it applied to anything that was given as a gift.

A 15% restocking fee applies on any returns...no exceptions.

I also find it interesting that over the years Sears has continued to
sell returned merchandise as new. More than once I have had to remind
them that an obviously returned item needs to be sold as a discount
for being used.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

No contradiction.

The selling of used merchandise as new is illegal.

The reason why I know they do it is that I several years ago I
returned an UNUSED drill to Sears. On my next visit, I noted that it
was on sale for full retail price. I noted this to a clerk thinking
that a mistake had been made. The next time I visited, the same drill
at the same price was still there. I then alerted a manager of the
oversight. ON THE NEXT VISIT, the same drill for the same price was
still there. When I asked them what was going on, no answer. I
mentioned that I would contact the authorities if I saw the same used
drill on the next viist.

I think I'm confused. Was the returned drill "UNUSED" or "used"?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think I'm confused. Was the returned drill "UNUSED" or "used"?

The drill I returned was UNUSED....it was returned because I had
another one like it.

Anything that is sold once cannot be sold again as NEW legally.

And yes I know that many companies try to do just that.

TMT

On Feb 6, 3:50 pm, Nova wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
No contradiction.

The selling of used merchandise as new is illegal.

The reason why I know they do it is that I several years ago I
returned an UNUSED drill to Sears. On my next visit, I noted that it
was on sale for full retail price. I noted this to a clerk thinking
that a mistake had been made. The next time I visited, the same drill
at the same price was still there. I then alerted a manager of the
oversight. ON THE NEXT VISIT, the same drill for the same price was
still there. When I asked them what was going on, no answer. I
mentioned that I would contact the authorities if I saw the same used
drill on the next viist.

I think I'm confused. Was the returned drill "UNUSED" or "used"?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I think I'm confused. Was the returned drill "UNUSED" or "used"?

The drill I returned was UNUSED....it was returned because I had
another one like it.

Anything that is sold once cannot be sold again as NEW legally.

And yes I know that many companies try to do just that.

TMT

Can you cite the law that prohibits resale? There are many, many
companies that have a return policy that states, "Returned merchandise
must be in saleable condition, in the original packaging ...".

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just stay away from Sears. Works for me!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Too_Many_Tools"
The selling of used merchandise as new is illegal.

Can you tell us which law this is?
Where to find a copy of it on the internet?

The reason why I know they do it is that I several years ago I
returned an UNUSED drill to Sears. On my next visit, I noted that it
was on sale for full retail price. I noted this to a clerk thinking

So some guy comes in ands buys a drill...
The guys shows up the next day and returns it in the box not even open
(security tape still on box...
The following day the same guy shows up and wants to buy the same drill he
just returned at a cheaper price...
I think the word I am looking for here is thief:-)

And you don't think that charging a restocking fee is not fair?

Donald

Posted to rec.woodworking

Albert wrote:
Just stay away from Sears. Works for me!

Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaame here. G

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sears charges restocking fee OR NOT

I know I'm coming to this thread, late, but I'm still trying to catch up on
all the postings. Haven't read any in awhile.

I have a full page, large type, Sears ad. I've kept it (you just won't
believe this) for more than 20 years. It's at home and I'm not, but it says
in part..."We want you to be completely happy with any Sears purchase. If
you're not, just return it for a full refund." That is approximately what
it says. What it definitely says, and the most important part is: "No ifs,
ands or buts."

I figure one day it may come in handy, but in truth, I've never had a
problem with any return to Sears, whether it's tools, clothes, appliances or
whatever. We even returned a washer and dryer after using them for almost a
year. They came out a couple times to try to fix them, under warranty, but
didn't have much luck. These weren't cheapies, either. Top of the line at
the time, something like $1,500 for the pair. Sears didn't bat an eye, just
a full refund with a smile. They may have changed their policy, lately, but
I will still buy whatever I need and can't find better elsewhere, at Sears.
Who know, one day I may have to take my long saved ad with me to the store.

--

Best Regards,
Phil

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
. net...
Albert wrote:
Just stay away from Sears. Works for me!

Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaame here. G

general contractor charges [email protected] Home Repair 6 September 13th 05 04:37 PM
Water charges ben UK diy 11 September 6th 05 07:21 PM
rca repair charges [email protected] Electronics Repair 16 July 16th 05 11:31 PM
BT Line Fault Charges L UK diy 19 October 8th 04 04:03 PM
FS Grizzly Jointer Knives / Grizzy restocking fee joke? WoodChuck34 Woodworking 5 March 3rd 04 11:10 PM