Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cabinetry for woodworkers and music lovers.

One fine way to make a fun project pay off big is to make your own
loudspeakers.
In no other way that I can think of can the time spent be as rewarding.
There is a huge return on investement when one choses to build his own
speakers.
Proper ones.
Start he

http://www.solen.ca/

These people offer incredible deals on complete parts packages. All
good.

then, if you have the money:

There is always Dynaudio. I drive a pair with 1000 watts per
channel...and we're talking genuine RMS wattages.... the kinda ****
that will pop 20 amp mains breakers.
I have a pair of Dynaudio Eurostat monitors. Bi-amped. Farking strong
stuff. When I play BIG stuff, I point the brick work on my house. Again.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jack" wrote in message
When I play BIG stuff, I point the brick work on my house. Again.

What?

He's joking that the sound waves from his speakers will remove little bits
of protruding cement from his brick work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
| "Jack" wrote in message
||| When I play BIG stuff, I point the brick work on my house. Again.
|| What?
|
| He's joking that the sound waves from his speakers will remove
| little bits of protruding cement from his brick work.

Eh?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2007-01-23, Morris Dovey wrote:
Upscale wrote:
| "Jack" wrote in message
||| When I play BIG stuff, I point the brick work on my house. Again.
|| What?
|
| He's joking that the sound waves from his speakers will remove
| little bits of protruding cement from his brick work.

Eh?

The process of putting mortar between bricks is called "pointing".

Posted to rec.woodworking

GROVER wrote:
In addition to pointing the bricks, it will curl your toes and blow the
lint from the belly button.

*hearty laugh*

No lint in this belly-button.

I like sound pressures along 'real' levels. When I wail along with some
of the tunes, I don't want me and my Tele to out-shine
Robert Cray...................as if.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Charles Koester wrote:
| On 2007-01-23, Morris Dovey wrote:
|| Upscale wrote:
||| He's joking that the sound waves from his speakers will remove
||| little bits of protruding cement from his brick work.
|| Eh?
|
| The process of putting mortar between bricks is called "pointing".

Erm. Yes. I knew that. I'm just having a bit of difficulty hearing
after even just /thinking/ about a kW/channel audio system being
turned up *really* loud. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Somebody wrote:

When I play BIG stuff, I point the brick work on my house.

Since when does sound pressure level equate to quality?

IMHO, loud is an indicator of damn little talent.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

I like sound pressures along 'real' levels. When I wail along with some
of the tunes, I don't want me and my Tele to out-shine
Robert Cray...................as if.

Friend of mine who was a quadriplegic liked the sound so loud that he could
feel the vibrations through his wheelchair. He even went to the point that
he spent $10,000 on club quality speakers for his living room. The two main
speakers were close to refrigerator size. I thought they looked ridiculous,
but hey, it was his money. Just meant that I didn't visit as often as I used
to. Loudness has usually discouraged me which accounts for my not visiting
too many clubs with bands. I've always gone for music as pure as I can get
it and that doesn't always mean having it loud.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 23, 6:12 pm, "Morris Dovey" wrote:
Charles Koester wrote:| On 2007-01-23, Morris Dovey wrote:|| Upscale wrote:
||| He's joking that the sound waves from his speakers will remove
||| little bits of protruding cement from his brick work.
|| Eh?
|
| The process of putting mortar between bricks is called "pointing".

Erm. Yes. I knew that. I'm just having a bit of difficulty hearing
after even just /thinking/ about a kW/channel audio system being
turned up *really* loud. :-)

My speakers are dreadfully inefficient. (87dB @ 1 watt/1 meter.)
I neeeed that much power *G*
Besides, my average listening levels require 1 kw if I want to keep my
amps from clipping. Lots of sound, but not loud.
I always get a kick out little old ladies smiling when a 100 piece
orchestra hits a crescendo pushing far higher sound levels than I do in
my room.

Posted to rec.woodworking
JGS JGS is offline

How important is speaker wire Robatoy? A friend of mine spent an amazing
amount on the wire. He says he can tell the difference. Thanks, JG
"Robatoy" wrote in message
ups.com...
One fine way to make a fun project pay off big is to make your own
loudspeakers.
In no other way that I can think of can the time spent be as rewarding.
There is a huge return on investement when one choses to build his own
speakers.
Proper ones.
Start he

http://www.solen.ca/

These people offer incredible deals on complete parts packages. All
good.

then, if you have the money:

There is always Dynaudio. I drive a pair with 1000 watts per
channel...and we're talking genuine RMS wattages.... the kinda ****
that will pop 20 amp mains breakers.
I have a pair of Dynaudio Eurostat monitors. Bi-amped. Farking strong
stuff. When I play BIG stuff, I point the brick work on my house. Again.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ahh, the eternal Monster cable debate!

I built some speakers a few years ago using some designs from the
internet (called "Esquire"), and they've been great! I've never had
enough room to justify BIG speakers, and these really fill up the house
with nice sounding noise.

As for speaker wire, I had a friend give me a spool of extra speaker
wire he used for his house, and it's been fine. As long as it conducts
the signal, you're fine. You're more likely to encounter sound
degredation from outside noise than your cables, and most cables aren't
shielded anyway! I have a friend who swears by Cat5 networking cable. I
can't find any problems with his strategy: lots of good copper, the
cable is easy to work with, and you can hook up 4 speakers to one cable
if you're so inclined (though he usually dones one speaker per cable:
stripes are red and solids are black).

-Nathan

On Jan 24, 6:11 am, "JGS" wrote:
How important is speaker wire Robatoy? A friend of mine spent an amazing
amount on the wire. He says he can tell the difference. Thanks, JG"Robatoy" wrote in oglegroups.com...

One fine way to make a fun project pay off big is to make your own
loudspeakers.
In no other way that I can think of can the time spent be as rewarding.
There is a huge return on investement when one choses to build his own
speakers.
Proper ones.
Start he

http://www.solen.ca/

These people offer incredible deals on complete parts packages. All
good.

then, if you have the money:

There is always Dynaudio. I drive a pair with 1000 watts per
channel...and we're talking genuine RMS wattages.... the kinda ****
that will pop 20 amp mains breakers.
I have a pair of Dynaudio Eurostat monitors. Bi-amped. Farking strong
stuff. When I play BIG stuff, I point the brick work on my house. Again.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 24, 6:11 am, "JGS" wrote:
How important is speaker wire Robatoy? A friend of mine spent an amazing
amount on the wire. He says he can tell the difference. Thanks, JG

Can he really tell the difference?
I have fooled many people by changing the wire, then putting on
lamp-cord and raising the soundpressure a fraction of a dB.
"Ohh that is better!" Speaker wire, 14 ga or bigger is adequate.
Ordinary lamp cord is fine. The rest is baloney, working on the
insecurities of the audiophile. Somebody told me that Monster now makes
battery cables for automotive sound systems. WTF?
Interconnects, between pre-amps and power amps can make a subtle
difference if the quality of the wire is poor. At extreme low-levels,
such a as moving coil phone cartridge, the wire's capacitance can alter
the linearity of the signal, and that can be audible...but man, you got
to work hard to bat better than 50%. Today's source materials do away
with all that silliness.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in
oups.com:

On Jan 24, 6:11 am, "JGS" wrote:
[...]

Many years ago, I worked in that industry - the sound industry. I
always thought that the geekiest of the audiophiles were terribly
insecure. Never certain that they had the 'best' gear, and never
certain that could actually be determined. In spite of spending what
could buy a decent California house in those days, they never really
settled on anything, and mostly got mildly confused or bemused looks
from people when they tried to explain their addiction.

I heard a ton of good product and music in those days, and many tons of
middling (and worse) crap. Really glad I changed my career path.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

"JGS" wrote in message
How important is speaker wire Robatoy? A friend of mine spent an amazing
amount on the wire. He says he can tell the difference. Thanks, JG

*Troll* !!!!!!!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can he really tell the difference?
I have fooled many people by changing the wire, then putting on
lamp-cord and raising the soundpressure a fraction of a dB.
"Ohh that is better!" Speaker wire, 14 ga or bigger is adequate.
Ordinary lamp cord is fine. The rest is baloney, working on the
insecurities of the audiophile. Somebody told me that Monster now makes
battery cables for automotive sound systems. WTF?
Interconnects, between pre-amps and power amps can make a subtle
difference if the quality of the wire is poor. At extreme low-levels,
such a as moving coil phone cartridge, the wire's capacitance can alter
the linearity of the signal, and that can be audible...but man, you got
to work hard to bat better than 50%. Today's source materials do away
with all that silliness.

I have my PC connected to my TV/VCR/ Pioneer receiver VSX- D912..... I used
4 (left, right, video and digital) 50ft of coaxial cables(R6) with RCA
adapters. The basic wiring goes from PC (AIW video card) to
VCR(Toshiba)....to VCR(Mitsubishi)/Pioneer/TV. And also a PC to Pioneer
direct digital connection(coaxial R6) that works great for tunes.....but
when I send video I get a obnoxious hum on the TV end......unless I run a
extension cord from a bedroom plug to the PC (works fine but is a tad
tacky)......In troubleshooting I installed a new circuit for the PC and have
tried various breaker panel slots but still get the hum unless I'm on the
bedroom circuit......With simple deduction it would appear to be breaker
panel related.....Do you have any HUM related suggestions? Rod

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 24 Jan 2007 06:55:37 -0800, "N Hurst" wrote:

Ahh, the eternal Monster cable debate!

Or worse, Kimber Cable. The sterling silver variety.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 24, 2:48 pm, George Max
wrote:
On 24 Jan 2007 06:55:37 -0800, "N Hurst" wrote:

Ahh, the eternal Monster cable debate!Or worse, Kimber Cable. The sterling silver variety.

Those are the $5,000/foot cables, right?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 11:47:29 -0800, "Rod & Betty Jo"
wrote:

I have my PC connected to my TV/VCR/ Pioneer receiver VSX- D912..... I used
4 (left, right, video and digital) 50ft of coaxial cables(R6) with RCA
adapters. The basic wiring goes from PC (AIW video card) to
VCR(Toshiba)....to VCR(Mitsubishi)/Pioneer/TV. And also a PC to Pioneer
direct digital connection(coaxial R6) that works great for tunes.....but
when I send video I get a obnoxious hum on the TV end......unless I run a
extension cord from a bedroom plug to the PC (works fine but is a tad
tacky)......In troubleshooting I installed a new circuit for the PC and have
tried various breaker panel slots but still get the hum unless I'm on the
bedroom circuit......With simple deduction it would appear to be breaker
panel related.....Do you have any HUM related suggestions? Rod

Congratulations you have created a huge ground loop, what kind of
extension cord? 2 prong? or 3 prong?

If it is the 2 conductor type you are eliminating one of your ground
connections on the PC. Is any of the A/V equipment grounded?

If it were me I would eliminate all grounding at the A/V side. Cross
my finger that was the problem. Cause chasing ground loops is a PITA.

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

3 prong.......Oddly the bedroom circuit that doesn't cause the hum has lots
of other things on it including a electric heater....where-as the new
circuit has nothing....other old circuits misbave as well when used to test.
I also tried via a extension cord a different circuit for the
TV/VCR/Reciever and still recieved a hum

If it is the 2 conductor type you are eliminating one of your ground
connections on the PC. Is any of the A/V equipment grounded?

they are all two wire devices......the default circuit is "old wire" or just
a conduit grounded circut.....it is a hundred yr old house with various
stages of elec upgrades.....

If it were me I would eliminate all grounding at the A/V side. Cross
my finger that was the problem. Cause chasing ground loops is a PITA.
Mark

Thanks...and where do I start lookingG.....Rod

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 24 Jan 2007 12:11:07 -0800, "N Hurst" wrote:

On Jan 24, 2:48 pm, George Max
wrote:
On 24 Jan 2007 06:55:37 -0800, "N Hurst" wrote:

Ahh, the eternal Monster cable debate!Or worse, Kimber Cable. The sterling silver variety.

Those are the $5,000/foot cables, right?

Something like that. They're beyond my budget.