Posted to rec.woodworking
Lou Lou is offline

Default 12" table saw

Anyone want to recommend a 12" table saw?
Lou

Posted to rec.woodworking

The Grizzly 12" left tilt will be my replacement for my Delta 10"
--
Art Ransom
Lancaster , Texas

"Lou" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone want to recommend a 12" table saw?
Lou

Posted to rec.woodworking

Old or New ???

Old = Delta 34-350 12"/14" Tilting Arbor table saw 3Hp 1ph

New = Powermatic 72A 14" Tilting Arbor table saw

Neither saw is in current production but both are big iron
table saws.

More modern stuff like Jet,Grizzly,etc are poor copies of
the real thing.

The Euro sliders would be my next choice.. Felder

Lou wrote:

Anyone want to recommend a 12" table saw?
Lou

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 19, 9:49 am, "Lou" wrote:
Anyone want to recommend a 12" table saw?
Lou

I'm curious why a 12" table saw is wanted? To simply get a heavier
chasis, more cast iron than is available on 10" cabinet saws? Or are
you looking at the various European models produced by Felder, Hammer,
MiniMax, Martin, etc. and 12" (300-350mm) is the standard size?

If you simply want size and weight, then you might want to move up to
the 14/16" size. I think they have a considerable amount more size and
weight than the 12" saws that are a sort of beefed up cabinet saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just to keep thing in perspective...

A Delta Unisaw is "roughly" 388 lbs give or take a lb.

A Delta 34-350 is "roughly" 840 lbs give or take a lb.

Most 12" saws can use a 14" blade, which has a major
advantage over a 10" saw in depth of cut.

Most 12" saws have the "mass" to handle larger(5-7hp)
motors which can run non-stop for 8 hour shifts cutting
wood or other materials.

Most production shops will be using a power feeder for
daily runs. A 3hp can not keep up with high speed power
feeders.

A Felder or one of it's brothers would be a logical
choice for "certain" operations.

You can also still buy a real American made saw that is
quite impressive..

http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/tablesaws/4saw.htm

Net weight 1,680 lbs.

wrote:

I'm curious why a 12" table saw is wanted? To simply get a heavier
chasis, more cast iron than is available on 10" cabinet saws? Or are
you looking at the various European models produced by Felder, Hammer,
MiniMax, Martin, etc. and 12" (300-350mm) is the standard size?

If you simply want size and weight, then you might want to move up to
the 14/16" size. I think they have a considerable amount more size and
weight than the 12" saws that are a sort of beefed up cabinet saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat Barber wrote:
Just to keep thing in perspective...

A Delta Unisaw is "roughly" 388 lbs give or take a lb.

A Delta 34-350 is "roughly" 840 lbs give or take a lb.

Most 12" saws can use a 14" blade, which has a major
advantage over a 10" saw in depth of cut.

Most 12" saws have the "mass" to handle larger(5-7hp)
motors which can run non-stop for 8 hour shifts cutting
wood or other materials.

Most production shops will be using a power feeder for
daily runs. A 3hp can not keep up with high speed power
feeders.

A Felder or one of it's brothers would be a logical
choice for "certain" operations.

You can also still buy a real American made saw that is
quite impressive..

http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/tablesaws/4saw.htm

Net weight 1,680 lbs.

A side note to this thread regarding Northfield . . . Last summer I sent
them my Powermatic #81 bandsaw wheels to true, balance and install new
tires . . . they have a full service machine shop. I live in Kansas but
was vacationing in Minnesota when the wheels were finished and went to
their shop to pick the wheels up. I was expecting some large factory and
all sorts of modern manufacturing stuff . . . but guess what . . . it's
just a funky, typically messy machine shop, but can they ever still make
machines! The guy who worked on my Powermatic wheels has been working on
Northfield's bandsaws for approximately 35 years. I think there were
only 10 or so guys working at the shop. When they get an order for a
saw, they make it. No inventory waiting to be sold. Northfield could be
the last real American made woodworking iron. I wish I had some of their
tools. Really impressive stuff.

Rick
http://www.thunderworksinc.com