Posted to rec.woodworking
Rick Rick is offline

Default 12" table saw

Pat Barber wrote:
Just to keep thing in perspective...

A Delta Unisaw is "roughly" 388 lbs give or take a lb.

A Delta 34-350 is "roughly" 840 lbs give or take a lb.

Most 12" saws can use a 14" blade, which has a major
advantage over a 10" saw in depth of cut.

Most 12" saws have the "mass" to handle larger(5-7hp)
motors which can run non-stop for 8 hour shifts cutting
wood or other materials.

Most production shops will be using a power feeder for
daily runs. A 3hp can not keep up with high speed power
feeders.

A Felder or one of it's brothers would be a logical
choice for "certain" operations.

You can also still buy a real American made saw that is
quite impressive..

http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/tablesaws/4saw.htm

Net weight 1,680 lbs.

A side note to this thread regarding Northfield . . . Last summer I sent
them my Powermatic #81 bandsaw wheels to true, balance and install new
tires . . . they have a full service machine shop. I live in Kansas but
was vacationing in Minnesota when the wheels were finished and went to
their shop to pick the wheels up. I was expecting some large factory and
all sorts of modern manufacturing stuff . . . but guess what . . . it's
just a funky, typically messy machine shop, but can they ever still make
machines! The guy who worked on my Powermatic wheels has been working on
Northfield's bandsaws for approximately 35 years. I think there were
only 10 or so guys working at the shop. When they get an order for a
saw, they make it. No inventory waiting to be sold. Northfield could be
the last real American made woodworking iron. I wish I had some of their
tools. Really impressive stuff.

Rick
http://www.thunderworksinc.com