Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How do you inlay a pointed object?

Hello, all you inlay folk-

I've looked at books and websites, and done a little inlaying of single
letters in hardwood, but I haven't been able to find out how to do a
particular
thing: inlay shapes that have tiny areas (like the serifs on a letter).
Or imagine
a star, for example. How do you create the recesses for the points?
A router certainly won't fit in there, nor will a chisel be able to
flatten
the bottom into the corner.

I'm not talking about marquetry and veneering, or banding or stringing
or
purfling; I'm talking about inlaying a star cut from veneer into a
block
of wood. How do you cut a recess for that? Any of you inlay types out
there have a technique for that?

-Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com,
"nireedmot" wrote:

I've looked at books and websites, and done a little inlaying of single
letters in hardwood, but I haven't been able to find out how to do a
particular
thing: inlay shapes that have tiny areas (like the serifs on a letter).
Or imagine
a star, for example. How do you create the recesses for the points?
A router certainly won't fit in there, nor will a chisel be able to
flatten
the bottom into the corner.

I made a pointed dogleg chisel out of a bit of high carbon hacksaw
blade. Next time I'd grind down some drill rod; the hacksaw blade was
pretty floppy.

--
"Keep your ass behind you."
Posted to rec.woodworking
Ken Ken is offline

Stewart Macdonald.com has an undercutting knife , used for guitar inlays,
for just such a task.

Ken

http://www.stewmac.com/

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Sp...ing_Tools.html