bmb

Default Need pointed in the right direction regarding custom work

I need a custom item made, and am asking for help in how to identify
who could make it for me.

I would like what is essentially a stainless steel cigrette case. It
would be hinged on the end (rather than the side, like most of them),
and would be just large enough to hold a 3"x5" flip top memo pad in
the interior.

I have looked all over the net, and have not been able to find
anything in the right size or configuration.

Do I need to find a metalsmith, silversmith, machinest, or something
else? I am in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

BMB
Just Me

"bmb" wrote in message
I need a custom item made, and am asking for help in how to identify
who could make it for me.

I would like what is essentially a stainless steel cigrette case. It
would be hinged on the end (rather than the side, like most of them),
and would be just large enough to hold a 3"x5" flip top memo pad in
the interior.

I have looked all over the net, and have not been able to find
anything in the right size or configuration.

Do I need to find a metalsmith, silversmith, machinest, or something
else? I am in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

BMB

Sounds like Abrasha is your man. http://www.abrasha.com/ He posts on this
forum too.
Lane

Just Me

"Just Me" notreal at nowhere dot com wrote in message

"bmb" wrote in message
I need a custom item made, and am asking for help in how to identify
who could make it for me.

I would like what is essentially a stainless steel cigrette case. It
would be hinged on the end (rather than the side, like most of them),
and would be just large enough to hold a 3"x5" flip top memo pad in
the interior.

I have looked all over the net, and have not been able to find
anything in the right size or configuration.

Do I need to find a metalsmith, silversmith, machinest, or something
else? I am in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

BMB

Sounds like Abrasha is your man. http://www.abrasha.com/ He posts on this
forum too.
Lane

Sorry for the double post. I got an error the first time and didn't think it
went through but obviously did.

Eric R Snow

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 09:30:28 -0700, "Just Me" notreal at nowhere dot
com wrote:

"bmb" wrote in message
.. .
I need a custom item made, and am asking for help in how to identify
who could make it for me.

I would like what is essentially a stainless steel cigrette case. It
would be hinged on the end (rather than the side, like most of them),
and would be just large enough to hold a 3"x5" flip top memo pad in
the interior.

I have looked all over the net, and have not been able to find
anything in the right size or configuration.

Do I need to find a metalsmith, silversmith, machinest, or something
else? I am in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

BMB

Sounds like Abrasha is your man. http://www.abrasha.com/ He posts on this
forum too.
Lane

This would be an expensive item to have made one off. But you could
save yourself some money by making the two halves yourself and ahving
the thing finished. I bet the thickness of the sheet will be pretty
this to keep wieght down. If so, you can fashion out of a hard wood
like maple a pattern that is a copy of the inside contour. Clapm a
peice of SS to the block and use a another piece of maple to push the
SS sheet so that it formes itself to the block. Do this by hitting the
stick of wood while it rests against the sheet to be formed. Start on
the flat and move down around the edges and if done carefully by not
triying to bend the sheet all at once you shoud be able to form the SS
sheet so that it fits the form tightly. I've done this with copper,
aluminum, silver, and mild steel. Stainless Steel is harder than any
of these materials but depending on how far the metal is deformed you
shoud be able to get to fit the compound curves in the corners. That
is if the corners are indeed rounded.
ERS

bmb

Thanks for the idea, Eric.

What just occurred to me, how feasible would it be to modify an
existing one?

I have found one commercially available that is apparently lacking in
only one dimension. If anyone is interested it is the "Satin Side
Wallet/Cigarette Case #16" on the following page:

http://www.kyledesigns.com/product/WALLETINFO

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page for a picture of it.

I have orderd one, and I should have it next week.

If I purchased a second one, would it be possible to extend the length
of one by cutting both halves in half, and attaching portions cut from
the halves of the second "parts"case in the miiddle?

This is beyond my capability from both a tool and skill standpoint,
but how easy would it be for those in this group not deficent in those
areas?

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 10:33:50 -0700, Eric R Snow
wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 09:30:28 -0700, "Just Me" notreal at nowhere dot
com wrote:

"bmb" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Don Foreman

wrote:

[...]

I think it might be a lot easier if darts were cut out for the
corners. Then form the metal as Eric suggests, weld and grind the
rounded corners. Much less shrinking required this way.

Frank J Warner

In article , bmb
wrote:

Thanks for the idea, Eric.

What just occurred to me, how feasible would it be to modify an
existing one?

I have found one commercially available that is apparently lacking in
only one dimension. If anyone is interested it is the "Satin Side
Wallet/Cigarette Case #16" on the following page:

http://www.kyledesigns.com/product/WALLETINFO

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page for a picture of it.

I have orderd one, and I should have it next week.

My advice would be to buy one (as you have done), determine the maker
from whatever marks or literature accompanies the piece, call them and
ask them what it would take to make similar cases to your specs.
Obviously, they are already tooled up for the process.

If I purchased a second one, would it be possible to extend the length
of one by cutting both halves in half, and attaching portions cut from
the halves of the second "parts"case in the miiddle?

Not easily. Probably not flawlessly.

-Frank

--
fwarner1-at-franksknives-dot-com