Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hawaii, boxes and books

Just returned from Oahu, Hawaii. Stayed with my daughter that lives
there to save mega $$ in hotel costs. I was in a high end gift shop in
Waikiki. They have some stunningly beautiful boxes made of a variety of
woods, including monkey pod, lined with cedar. They were about 30
inches by 24 inches by 20 inches. One was $4100, the other two which
had curved tops were $4600. Ouch.

Anyway, I can make these things. And bigger.

So I was wondering what box making books the gropu recommedns. Two I
found a
Box-Making Basics by David M. Freedman
and
Tauton's Illustrated Guide to Box Making by Doug Stowe

Any recommendations?

BTW, I can probably design and build a box without a book but I've
found sometimes a $20 book can prevent a $200 mistake.

Cheers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 13 Jan 2007 17:27:56 -0800, "Never Enough Money"
wrote:

Just returned from Oahu, Hawaii. Stayed with my daughter that lives
there to save mega $$ in hotel costs. I was in a high end gift shop in
Waikiki. They have some stunningly beautiful boxes made of a variety of
woods, including monkey pod, lined with cedar. They were about 30
inches by 24 inches by 20 inches. One was $4100, the other two which
had curved tops were $4600. Ouch.

Anyway, I can make these things. And bigger.

So I was wondering what box making books the gropu recommedns. Two I
found a
Box-Making Basics by David M. Freedman
and
Tauton's Illustrated Guide to Box Making by Doug Stowe

Any recommendations?

BTW, I can probably design and build a box without a book but I've
found sometimes a $20 book can prevent a $200 mistake.

Cheers.

It appears that Mr. Stowe has published a few books on that very
subject accornding to amazon.com

Waikiki - nice place.
Posted to rec.woodworking

George Max wrote:

It appears that Mr. Stowe has published a few books on that very
subject accornding to amazon.com

Three that I know of - their on my bookshelf. Actually, one's
on the bedside table. If you can't come up with a box idea after
going through any one of his books . . .

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

Never Enough Money wrote:

Just returned from Oahu, Hawaii. Stayed with my daughter that lives
there to save mega $$ in hotel costs. I was in a high end gift shop in
Waikiki. They have some stunningly beautiful boxes made of a variety of
woods, including monkey pod, lined with cedar. They were about 30
inches by 24 inches by 20 inches. One was $4100, the other two which
had curved tops were $4600. Ouch.

Anyway, I can make these things. And bigger.

So I was wondering what box making books the gropu recommedns. Two I
found a
Box-Making Basics by David M. Freedman
and
Tauton's Illustrated Guide to Box Making by Doug Stowe

Any recommendations?

BTW, I can probably design and build a box without a book but I've
found sometimes a $20 book can prevent a $200 mistake.

Cheers.

No recommendations on boxes, however I will be in Oahu / Waikiki next
month (never been before) so any suggestions on things to see/do?

Pete C.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Here's what I did:
Day 1:
Wander around Waikiki. Did snorkeling off Waikiki beach. I thought it
was great but learned later it's considered bad. There were colorful
fish, just not many.

Day 2:
Went to a military beach (Bellows) to body surf and boogie board.
Stopped at Pali lookout. Drive was nice. You need an enlisted person
with you to get in.

Day 3:
Polynesian Cultural Center & North beech. Huge waves at North Beach.
Polynesian Cultural center is a tourist trap and moneymaker for the
Mormans.

Day 4:
Climbed Diamond Head in the morning, then to Hunama Bay for snorkeing.
This was great! Also went to the "blow hole." Scenery was tops.

Day 5:
Perl Harbor. Put priority on USS Missouri.

Day 6:
Catamaran trip with snorkeling. Saw doplhins, flying fish, about 6
whales, sea turtles and lots of fish while snorkeling.

Each day ate at a good resturant. Duke's in Waikiki is a rip off.

On Jan 14, 5:11 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Never Enough Money wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 23:11:16 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

No recommendations on boxes, however I will be in Oahu / Waikiki next
month (never been before) so any suggestions on things to see/do?

Pete C.

I spent a month there @ U of H a few years back and can suggest the
following:

- Lanikai Beach (and Kailua), on the other side of the island, _AWAY_
from Waikiki. The beach is beautiful, and nearly deserted, just like
travel brochures. Hit this beach early in the trip, and you'll never
put up with the Waikiki crowds.
- The WWII submarine tour and monuments, over near Pearl Harbor.
- All the sights on the windward side. This is a great drive up the
coast. Stop at the turn offs and check it out. Chinaman's Hat is
cool, too!
- The Missouri tour, and the Arizona memorial tour, of course! G

I spent some time over on the big island, and got over 13,000 feet up
to see the telescopes. That was pretty cool, although it can be
expensive to get over there and up.

I really can't remember any restaurants good enough to recommend. G

I've already got a flight over to the big island for the day and a 2 hr
heli tour booked. Not sure what else to do over there that day,
presumably wander and find some dinner before the flight back.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Never Enough Money wrote:

[...]

I've already got a flight over to the big island for a day and a 2 hr
heli tour there booked. Not sure what else to do over there that day,
presumably wander and find some dinner before the flight back.

Might take a day to do a scuba tour, got a sub tour at Oahu booked as
well. I figure I need to do a luau one evening too. Always interested in
good restaurants.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 14 Jan 2007 15:35:18 -0800, "Never Enough Money"
wrote:

[...]

I particularly like Duke's. Henry Kapono plays there on Sunday
afternoon's. "The House Without A Key" restaurant at the Halekulani
is nice too. "La Mer" is there as well, but it's very pricey.

Top of Diamond Head is good. When you go to Pearl Harbor, also stop
over at the Punchbowl, the National Memorial Cemetary not very far
from there.

The Bishop Museum is excellent too.

Wifey wanted to do a dinner cruise, so we took a ride on the Navatek.
That was very nice.

On the other side of the island is the Byodo-In Temple. It's a
replica of a temple just like it in Japan.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 00:05:05 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

I've already got a flight over to the big island for a day and a 2 hr
heli tour there booked. Not sure what else to do over there that day,
presumably wander and find some dinner before the flight back.

Might take a day to do a scuba tour, got a sub tour at Oahu booked as
well. I figure I need to do a luau one evening too. Always interested in
good restaurants.

Pete C.

I've read that a luau on Oahu called "Germaine's" is good, but I've no
experience with that. The one wifey and I went to is on Maui in
Lahaina called "The Feast at Lele". It's a sit down and they bring
the food to you. The people that run that one also run "The Old
Lahaina Luau" also considered very good. Unlimited mai-tais at The
Feast. Wifey had to drive back to the condo.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Duke's is too expensive for the quality. Too noisy. The Mai Tai's were
weak. We waited 1 hour when we arrived at 6 PM.

It's a hopping place though. Sunsets there are supposed to be nice.

wrote:
[...]

Each day ate at a good resturant. Duke's in Waikiki is a rip off.I particularly like Duke's. Henry Kapono plays there on Sunday

afternoon's. "The House Without A Key" restaurant at the Halekulani
is nice too. "La Mer" is there as well, but it's very pricey.

Top of Diamond Head is good. When you go to Pearl Harbor, also stop
over at the Punchbowl, the National Memorial Cemetary not very far
from there.

The Bishop Museum is excellent too.

Wifey wanted to do a dinner cruise, so we took a ride on the Navatek.
That was very nice.

On the other side of the island is the Byodo-In Temple. It's a
replica of a temple just like it in Japan.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I've already got a flight over to the big island for a day and a 2 hr
heli tour there booked. Not sure what else to do over there that day,
presumably wander and find some dinner before the flight back.

Might take a day to do a scuba tour, got a sub tour at Oahu booked as
well. I figure I need to do a luau one evening too. Always interested in
good restaurants.

Pete C.

I've read that a luau on Oahu called "Germaine's" is good, but I've no
experience with that.

I've seen ads for that one. Figure I don't need advance res for one so
I'll just as at the hotel for recommendations.

The one wifey and I went to is on Maui in
Lahaina called "The Feast at Lele". It's a sit down and they bring
the food to you. The people that run that one also run "The Old
Lahaina Luau" also considered very good. Unlimited mai-tais at The
Feast. Wifey had to drive back to the condo.

I'll keep those in mind in case I take a hop over there.

Thanks,

Pete C.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 14 Jan 2007 19:17:19 -0800, "Never Enough Money"
wrote:

Duke's is too expensive for the quality. Too noisy. The Mai Tai's were
weak. We waited 1 hour when we arrived at 6 PM.

It's a hopping place though. Sunsets there are supposed to be nice.

We had dinner there once, it was great, but it was awesomely late for
us. 9pm local, 2am body clock. I didn't think that it was
particularly expensive. For Hawaii. I didn't go there to eat at
McDonalds or Dennys.

The other times were for breakfast. We were there right when they
opened. No problem for us, even though we "adjusted" to Hawaii time,
getting up "early" was no problem.

That breakfast at Duke's was exactly the same price as our hotel (away
from the beach) but had a lot better view. That was the deal maker -
look at sailboats, the beach and Diamond Head. If we stayed at the
hotel, we could have had a lovely view of the street out front with
traffic. That was an easy choice.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Never Enough Money wrote:

Anyway, I can make these things.

It's about _selling_ them, not making them. Different world, and
there's a lot of hungry woodworkers out there who can do one but not
the other. Why do you think I'm working in an office again? 8-)

Also the quality of your finishing becomes _vital_ in this market. You
can flog any old rubbish in the joinery or especially the brasswork,
but that shiny finish must be flawless.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I have the Illustrated Guide and like it. Mr. Stowe hangs out here
from time to time...

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

Never Enough Money wrote:
Just returned from Oahu, Hawaii. Stayed with my daughter that lives
there to save mega $$ in hotel costs. I was in a high end gift shop in
Waikiki. They have some stunningly beautiful boxes made of a variety of
woods, including monkey pod, lined with cedar. They were about 30
inches by 24 inches by 20 inches. One was $4100, the other two which
had curved tops were $4600. Ouch.

Anyway, I can make these things. And bigger.

So I was wondering what box making books the gropu recommedns. Two I
found a
Box-Making Basics by David M. Freedman
and
Tauton's Illustrated Guide to Box Making by Doug Stowe

Any recommendations?

BTW, I can probably design and build a box without a book but I've
found sometimes a $20 book can prevent a $200 mistake.

Cheers.

Did you get pics of the boxes?

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

No recommendations on boxes, however I will be in Oahu / Waikiki next
month (never been before) so any suggestions on things to see/do?

Pete C.

I lived in Waikiki from 2003 till September 2006... Best MaiTai on the beach
is at the military resort (Hale Koa) and it's the cheapest to boot. It is a
military resort hotel, but the Barefoot Bar along the beach is open to
anybody with a dollar.
From the Hilton end of the beach, walk toward Diamond Head to the next hotel
(Hale Koa), the Barefoot Bar is right along the beach.
Don't stir the MaiTai, the fruit juice at the bottom is great, and the rum
on top isn't too bad either.
Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 14:21:28 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

George Max wrote:

The one wifey and I went to is on Maui in
Lahaina called "The Feast at Lele". It's a sit down and they bring
the food to you. The people that run that one also run "The Old
Lahaina Luau" also considered very good. Unlimited mai-tais at The
Feast. Wifey had to drive back to the condo.

I'll keep those in mind in case I take a hop over there.

Thanks,

Pete, both those shows are extremely popular. I don't know for sure
about Lele, but Old Lahaina Luau sells out well in advance. You can
book tickets online, so if I were you I would be checking right now
for availability. I recommend it highly, BTW. Good food, good show,
good drinks.

Bill