Posted to rec.woodworking

Default First go at wet sanding.

FWIW, tried wet sanding with mineral spirits the first time today. 800
grit cuts like crazy. Stearated paper doesn't really give the same result.

The 800 sanding by hand seems to cut faster than stearated 400 on a ROS,
while still giving greater control.

Incidentally I found that one doesn't necessarily have to use paper
rated for wet sanding to sand with mineral spirits instead of water--the
paper rated for wet sanding is _water_ proof, doesn't say anything about
mineral spirits, and the non-waterproof 800 grit that Woodcraft sells
seems to work fine--before shelling out for waterproof I'd try whatever I
had.

Also, mineral spirits seems to be similar to paraffin oil, but
thinner--tried both and they both worked but the paraffin oil was thick
enough that sanding got difficult if I let the oil film get thin--mineral
spirits didn't do that.

Wish I'd tried this a long time ago, I'd have saved myself much
frustration and needless effort.

Considering how nice the finish looks at 800 I'm wondering how it's going
to look after the Rottenstone.

Was dripping the mineral spirits from the can, but put some in a squeeze
bottle for better control.

Any hints or tips?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
FWIW, tried wet sanding with mineral spirits the first time today. 800
grit cuts like crazy. Stearated paper doesn't really give the same
result.

Considering how nice the finish looks at 800 I'm wondering how it's going
to look after the Rottenstone.

Was dripping the mineral spirits from the can, but put some in a squeeze
bottle for better control.

Any hints or tips?

Tack like mad. The haze left on the surface of a wet-sanded finish can be a
bear to get off. Solvent rags just move it around.