Posted to rec.woodworking
nireedmot

Default How to recover from wet-sanding a Watco finish?

Hi all-

After I applied one coat of natural Watco, my project looked *exactly*
as I
wanted it to: the grain had popped nicely and there was a low sheen to
the
surface. Then I took the advice of some of the finishing books and wet
sanded the second coat with 600 grit. Now the sheen is completely
gone. Is this because the surface of the first coat got scuffed or
because
the sanding dust is mixed in with the second coat and obscuring the
first?
Or both? I need to know whether to rub out what's there or sand it
down.
Anybody know about this problem?

Thanks.

-Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"nireedmot" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all-

After I applied one coat of natural Watco, my project looked *exactly*
as I
wanted it to: the grain had popped nicely and there was a low sheen to
the
surface. Then I took the advice of some of the finishing books and wet
sanded the second coat with 600 grit. Now the sheen is completely
gone. Is this because the surface of the first coat got scuffed or
because
the sanding dust is mixed in with the second coat and obscuring the
first?

Most likely the mix of dust on the surface now. I get reflective surfaces
when only sanding with 180 grit. I doubt that 600 would dull the shine.

Posted to rec.woodworking
robo hippy

Buff it out with 0000 steel or synthetic wool, then hit it with some
good paste wax (Butchers is my favorite).
robo hippy

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

nireedmot wrote:

Hi all-

After I applied one coat of natural Watco, my project looked *exactly*
as I
wanted it to: the grain had popped nicely and there was a low sheen to
the
surface. Then I took the advice of some of the finishing books and wet
sanded the second coat with 600 grit. Now the sheen is completely
gone. Is this because the surface of the first coat got scuffed or
because
the sanding dust is mixed in with the second coat and obscuring the
first?
Or both? I need to know whether to rub out what's there or sand it
down.
Anybody know about this problem?

Thanks.

-Tom

You can recover the sheen by buffing (dry) with purple, then gray, then
white synthetic steel wool. Those are the pads that are similar to
Scothbrite (green) pads. DON'T use the green pad!!

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

nireedmot wrote:
Hi all-

After I applied one coat of natural Watco, my project looked *exactly*
as I
wanted it to: the grain had popped nicely and there was a low sheen to
the
surface. Then I took the advice of some of the finishing books and wet
sanded the second coat with 600 grit. Now the sheen is completely
gone. Is this because the surface of the first coat got scuffed or
because
the sanding dust is mixed in with the second coat and obscuring the
first?
Or both? I need to know whether to rub out what's there or sand it
down.
Anybody know about this problem?

Wet sanded it with *what*? More watco, I hope. Did you wipe it off
well afrer sanding? If not, do it again. Or - as others said - use
0000 steel wool and wax.

Another possibility - you didn't wipe off enough originally leaving a
surface film which appeared shinier after drying than the finish should
be. Your wet sanding removed that surface film and it now appears as it
normally should be. I kinda suspect that is it and the wax with/without
steel wool will fix it. You only need the steel wool if the surface
feels less than baby butt smooth.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

advise on sanding alder panels. tor Woodworking 23 December 24th 05 02:52 AM
Help, chipping finish!! [email protected] Woodworking 6 December 4th 05 12:44 AM
Wax Finish Help? CBlood59 Woodworking 8 August 18th 04 03:12 PM
Can we use water based finish on oil based finish for maintenance coats? John Smith Home Ownership 6 April 28th 04 05:45 PM
finish sanding an oak floor RichardS UK diy 6 December 2nd 03 12:48 PM