Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Where to buy a 8'long 1"' wide Tape Measure

Has anyone seen such a tape.? The smallest I have found is a 16'. I don't
need a 16' tape in
the shop but I like the 1" wide with the fraction marks.

Ted

Posted to rec.woodworking

You can check here, at Lee Valley.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/auswoo...9d.jpg&.src=ph

The smallest they seem to have is a 10' x 1/2". Their 1" tapes (and almost
anyone elses that I can remember) are all longer - usually 12' or 16'.

"Bigpole" wrote in message
Has anyone seen such a tape.? The smallest I have found is a 16'. I don't
need a 16' tape in
the shop but I like the 1" wide with the fraction marks.

Ted

Posted to rec.woodworking

Perhaps you could go with a happy medium. 12' x 3/4"? There's a
Lufkin with these dimensions.

http://www.measureandlevel.com/produ...Measuring_Tape

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bigpole" wrote in message
Has anyone seen such a tape.? The smallest I have found is a 16'. I don't
need a 16' tape in
the shop but I like the 1" wide with the fraction marks.

Ted

I'm not sure the length because mine is hiding from me...

FastCap "FlatBack" Cabinetmaker's Tape
http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/FSC-...netmakers-Tape

-- Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

The closest I can get to your requirement is the Blindman's Tape 12'-0" lg X
1" wide it comes either with R to L or L to R reading check :
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...65&cat=1,43513

I myself, for cabinet making prefer the Starrett Folding Extension Rule.
Check: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...60&cat=1,43513 I
find it more precise to adjust, gauge and marke the average pieces of wood.
It is especially useful when I adjust the table saw, checking the depth of a
hole and the thickness of board out of the planer and so on.
Not to mention that I have about 6 measuring tapes ranging from 10 feet to
100 feet.

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 11:55:22 -0600, Jim Stuyck wrote:

"Mark Blum" wrote in message
In article .com,
says...
Perhaps you could go with a happy medium. 12' x 3/4"? There's a
Lufkin with these dimensions.

I too have longed for a short tape with the wide blade, and have never
come across one. I suspect it is an issue of making the case
dimensions functional, where a properly-proportioned case that can
accommodate a 1" blade can hold a much longer amount of tape, so they
put it in there.

I currently use a tape with just such a compromise as mentioned here -
12' x 3/4", and it is reasonably satisfactory.

Seems to me that, if it's THAT important to have an 8' tape,
then pulling it out to its extreme, cutting off the excess, punching
holes in the 8' section to take care of the spring, then putting
it all back together again would do the trick.

On the other hand, what's the harm of a little extra? Sooner or
later you'll have a 9' or 10' board in the shop and you'll want to
mark off something "just out of the reach" of the 8' tape. ;-)

The issue is physical dimensions of the case I believe--an 8 foot will fit
in a smaller case than a 16.

Jim Stuyck -- the pragmatist

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

The issue is physical dimensions of the case I believe--an 8 foot will fit
in a smaller case than a 16.

I don't know about that. It seem unlikely to me that a manufacturer
would design two seperate cases for a 8' difference. Example: The
Stanley FaxMax 16' thru 35' all appear to have the same case.

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....PES%5FFA TMAX

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8 Jan 2007 18:30:43 GMT, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

On the other hand, what's the harm of a little extra? Sooner or
later you'll have a 9' or 10' board in the shop and you'll want to
mark off something "just out of the reach" of the 8' tape. ;-)

The issue is physical dimensions of the case I believe--an 8 foot will fit
in a smaller case than a 16.

I wouldn't be terribly sure about that- the spool that the tape winds
around will have to be a certain minimum size to accommodate the wider
tape (a wider tape usually has a more dramatic curve in it) Eight
feet of wound tape isn't going to make much of a difference in the
case size.
Posted to rec.woodworking
DAC DAC is offline

I saw these in a catalog the other evening...they don't have 8' but
they do have a 12' but it is junked up with metric on one half.

http://www.fastcap.com/prod2.asp?page=procarp

DAC

On Jan 7, 8:33 am, "Bigpole" wrote:
Has anyone seen such a tape.? The smallest I have found is a 16'. I don't
need a 16' tape in
the shop but I like the 1" wide with the fraction marks.

Ted

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks DAC, I emailed fastcap about them making a 8' x 1" tape and the
answered back saying
they will give the suggestion to the owner.
Ted
oups.com...

On Jan 7, 8:33 am, "Bigpole" wrote:
Has anyone seen such a tape.? The smallest I have found is a 16'. I don't
need a 16' tape in
the shop but I like the 1" wide with the fraction marks.

Ted

Where to get accurate tape measure? jo_jo Woodworking 39 January 6th 07 10:56 PM
tape measure mohammad Woodworking 3 May 1st 06 07:13 PM
1/8" or 1/4" black tape? Making "stained glass" Noozer Home Repair 17 March 31st 06 03:33 AM
new use for a tape measure DOC Metalworking 8 November 4th 05 10:13 PM
Tape Measure Rip Off Sunworshipper Metalworking 4 January 26th 05 04:36 AM