Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need help to repair my table from burn?!?

Hello,

It's my first post here, and I have a big problem. I have done a
chinese fondue tonight and after remove the tablecloth I saw a white
circle on my brand new table. I'm pretty sure it's made with sandal
wood. But it's seems teinted.

http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?i...1010002fq8.jpg

This is a picture of my table right now.

What could be the best for me to try?

Thank you very much!

jonat

Posted to rec.woodworking

jonat wrote:
Hello,

It's my first post here, and I have a big problem. I have done a
chinese fondue tonight and after remove the tablecloth I saw a white
circle on my brand new table. I'm pretty sure it's made with sandal
wood. But it's seems teinted.

http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?i...1010002fq8.jpg

This is a picture of my table right now.

What could be the best for me to try?

Thank you very much!

jonat

Be patient. Looks like moisture under the finish that may go away on
its own.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Looks like the defect is in the finish and not the wood, which is good news.

If it doesn't go away, you will need to experiment a bit to find out what it
takes to fix the finish.

1st alternative is a nice tablecloth.

If it's a really valuable table, and you aren't sure what you are doing, I'd
take it to a professional.

If it is like mine, and not valuable, I would work on the lightest blemish
first, and sand it lightly with 220 grit or finer sandpaper. Keep checking,
brush the dust off and see if the mark has mostly gone away. Use a light
touch, you don't want to sand away any of the color coat. When you are
happy with appearance, smooth it up with 320 then 400 grit paper. Next you
have to repair the finish. I great results from Minwax wipe on poly applied
lightly with a rag or folded paper towel. It's thin so it takes several
coats. Test it somewhere that doesn't show to be sure it adheres and
doesn't screw up the existing finish.

If the color doesn't match well, you have another problem, not too easy to
fix. I've used water colors, applied sparingly to fix this, but it will
never be exact.

When you are done you may find that you need to put a coat of finish on the
entire top to level it out and get a uniform gloss. Be sure to clean it
with paint thinner, and then sand it lightly with 400 grit before using the
wipe on finish.

Long answer to a short question.

Good luck.

Old Guy

"jonat" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

It's my first post here, and I have a big problem. I have done a
chinese fondue tonight and after remove the tablecloth I saw a white
circle on my brand new table. I'm pretty sure it's made with sandal
wood. But it's seems teinted.

http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?i...1010002fq8.jpg

This is a picture of my table right now.

What could be the best for me to try?

Thank you very much!

jonat

Posted to rec.woodworking

Find a cigar smoker and get the ash from a cigar, rub finish with ashes.
Alternate is to use pipe ashes not as good as cigar though. Yes it does
work most of the time.
"jonat" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

It's my first post here, and I have a big problem. I have done a
chinese fondue tonight and after remove the tablecloth I saw a white
circle on my brand new table. I'm pretty sure it's made with sandal
wood. But it's seems teinted.

http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?i...1010002fq8.jpg

This is a picture of my table right now.

What could be the best for me to try?

Thank you very much!

jonat

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message

Be patient. Looks like moisture under the finish that may go away on
its own.

And thickly applying some plain old mayonnaise to the spot and letting it
sit overnight may help that speed the process.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Before you sand anything, try wiping it down with a decent odorless
solvent. The damage may only be in the wax layer. The solvent should
remove that for rewaxing.

Pete
Posted to rec.woodworking

Wow, Thank you SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much! that was very
appreciated, thanks for your time to write me all those comments!

Everything is now fixed, I used a little mix of all comments here.

Now this is the result

http://img159.imageshack.us/my.php?image=010009gq2.jpg

Thank you so much again!

jonathan

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jonat, if you're still coming around to check this thread, thanks for
posting your results and the images. I like finding out how these
little issues work out.

Dan