bay area dave

Default Replacing plastic resin cutlery handles with a more durable(dishwasher safe) medium

your question takes the cake for the wackiest "project" I have ever heard anyone on
the Wreck muse about. You can't be serious! You are gonna screw around with 60
knife handles?? ? Why not buy a different set or buy the same set and keep them out
of the dishwasher, if that's what ruined the first set. You could use the time that
would have been devoted to your knife handles to, say, curing cancer or solving the
world's hunger problems...

dave

Jacob wrote:

I may need to post a picture but I'll try to explain.
I'm charging my digital camera just in case.g

This cutlery is cast stainless steel???
The handles have jack knife style finish that appears was poured into the
handles and then ground to fit the shape of the casting.
This flat finish black 'plastic resin' is starting to crack.
I would like to remove it and replace it with wood but that would be difficult.
None of the castings are flat or uniform. Shaping wood would be very time
consuming and tough to attach. I'm open to real wood suggestions though.

I'm hoping to find a more durable and nicer material that can be shaped into the
handles like putty and then buffed to a nice durable finish when dried.

I have no idea what materials are available to use if any.

Any ideas.

Jacob

Scott Cramer

On 25 Jul 2003, bay area dave spake unto rec.woodworking:

your question takes the cake for the wackiest "project" I have ever
heard anyone on the Wreck muse about.

Nobody's going to argue with your experience, dave.

You can't be serious! You are
gonna screw around with 60 knife handles?? ? Why not buy a different
set or buy the same set and keep them out of the dishwasher, if that's
what ruined the first set.

Good options, all, dave. Question answered. Problem solved.

You could use the time that would have
been devoted to your knife handles to, say, curing cancer or solving
the world's hunger problems...

After reading your post, I hope he devotes his life to figuring out
why some people can't prevent their heads from lodging in the nether end of
their alimentary canals.

Rusty Myers

Well, he did come to a woodworking newsgroup and rejected using wood on the
handles. Sounds like a knifemaking newsgoup would have been a better place
to go.

--
Rusty Myers
Austin, TX

"Scott Cramer" wrote in message
7.54...
On 25 Jul 2003, bay area dave spake unto rec.woodworking:

your question takes the cake for the wackiest "project" I have ever
heard anyone on the Wreck muse about.

Nobody's going to argue with your experience, dave.

You can't be serious! You are
gonna screw around with 60 knife handles?? ? Why not buy a different
set or buy the same set and keep them out of the dishwasher, if that's
what ruined the first set.

Good options, all, dave. Question answered. Problem solved.

You could use the time that would have
been devoted to your knife handles to, say, curing cancer or solving
the world's hunger problems...

After reading your post, I hope he devotes his life to figuring out
why some people can't prevent their heads from lodging in the nether end

of
their alimentary canals.

Steve Wolfe

your question takes the cake for the wackiest "project" I have ever
heard anyone on
the Wreck muse about. You can't be serious! You are gonna screw around

with 60
knife handles??

Then you must not have been around here very long. : )

People come up with wacky ideas every day. To me, personally, the idea
of using expensive highly-figured woods for a bench top is wacky, if not
worse. But to some people, it's a great idea. But there are plenty of
people with TRULY wacky ideas!

Wanting to make some knife handles is a great idea. When your
company's over having steak, and someone says "Wow, these knives are
really cool!", you can say "Yeah, I made the handles myself." ; )

steve

Silvan

bay area dave wrote:

your question takes the cake for the wackiest "project" I have ever heard
anyone on
the Wreck muse about. You can't be serious! You are gonna screw around

I asked a good bit back for ideas on making a new handle for my machete. I
never did make anything out of wood. I just don't have the right tools to
cut something to fit the complex tang on this thing and have it come out
right.

Instead, I took my inspiration from some sword-making sites. I had some
12-gauge romex that was too short to be useful. I stripped the sheathing
off of it, and then stripped the insulation off of the wires within,
yielding three longish (10' maybe) bare copper wires. I clamped one end of
a wire in my bench vise, then walked out into the yard and wound the thing
very tightly and carefully around the tang. Repeated until I had wound
them all on, and then I soldered the loose end.

It's not quite as comfortable as the original plastic, but you wouldn't
believe what an *incredible* difference it made. The machete was
well-balanced before, but now it's as light and nimble as a butcher knife
even though it's more than three feet long. Having the extra weight in the
handle gives it a lot more oomph too. I can lop through 3" pine branches
with the thing in one swipe now.

So anyway, there's a thought for the OP's 60 knife handles. Get some copper
wire. Thinner gauge than the stuff I used. Probably 16 or smaller I'd
say. Wrap away. Dishwasher safe. There might be galvanic reaction
problems, and the stuff would tend to get greenish down in the cracks over
time (unless the dishwasher detergent eats that stuff off, which it
might...) but they would look sort of cool I think, and it would be a hell
of a lot easier than trying to manufacture plastic parts without the right
equipment.

I guess for food stuff you'd want to think about the copper alloy. Make
sure it isn't something that's mixed with arsenic or some damn thing.
Google away.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 16782 Approximate word count: 503460