Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
bay area dave

Default Replacing plastic resin cutlery handles with a more durable(dishwasher safe) medium

your question takes the cake for the wackiest "project" I have ever heard anyone on
the Wreck muse about. You can't be serious! You are gonna screw around with 60
knife handles?? ? Why not buy a different set or buy the same set and keep them out
of the dishwasher, if that's what ruined the first set. You could use the time that
would have been devoted to your knife handles to, say, curing cancer or solving the
world's hunger problems...

dave

Jacob wrote:

I may need to post a picture but I'll try to explain.
I'm charging my digital camera just in case.g

This cutlery is cast stainless steel???
The handles have jack knife style finish that appears was poured into the
handles and then ground to fit the shape of the casting.
This flat finish black 'plastic resin' is starting to crack.
I would like to remove it and replace it with wood but that would be difficult.
None of the castings are flat or uniform. Shaping wood would be very time
consuming and tough to attach. I'm open to real wood suggestions though.

I'm hoping to find a more durable and nicer material that can be shaped into the
handles like putty and then buffed to a nice durable finish when dried.

I have no idea what materials are available to use if any.

Any ideas.

Jacob