Posted to rec.woodworking

Default any Groz vise vices?

I'm in the market for a Record type vice for my newly built low cost
bench. The archives are somewhat old on vices (other than it seems
everyone wants a Veritas twin screw , me too) and right now money is my
limiting factor, must be under $80. A 7" quick release Record type will
be fine. Have looked at Rockler (they have a neat Record type with a
capstan and wooden handle in this price range), Grizzly Shop Fox (rated
poorly by users on Amazon), Highland Hardware (they have the Groz vises
and the Anant vises) and Woodcraft has the Groz (7" vise on sale for
$59 including shipping) and several others.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4939

Does anyone have experience - good or bad with the Groz vises? At $59
it seems a good deal. Any other recommendations?

Posted to rec.woodworking
TEF TEF is offline

Got the 9" in Groz from Highland Hardware about two years ago and it's fine.
It grasps material as expected and the jaws seem to align as intended. Not
sure what I would have gotten had I spent more on another brand of vise, but
this one works for me.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm in the market for a Record type vice for my newly built low cost
bench. The archives are somewhat old on vices (other than it seems
everyone wants a Veritas twin screw , me too) and right now money is my
limiting factor, must be under $80. A 7" quick release Record type will
be fine. Have looked at Rockler (they have a neat Record type with a
capstan and wooden handle in this price range), Grizzly Shop Fox (rated
poorly by users on Amazon), Highland Hardware (they have the Groz vises
and the Anant vises) and Woodcraft has the Groz (7" vise on sale for
$59 including shipping) and several others.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4939

Does anyone have experience - good or bad with the Groz vises? At $59
it seems a good deal. Any other recommendations?

Posted to rec.woodworking

I bought the $86 Lee Valley front vise just before summer. As I was
bolting onto my new bench, I got a catalog from Lee Valley showing the
recently introduced Quick Release model of the same vise. $125. It
looks just like the Record. Since I'm a hobbyist, i didn't want to
return my other vise and cough up an extra $40 for a feature that just
isn't that important to me.

The single screw LV vises are made in Europe. It weighs 28 pounds, so
compared to other brands out there, it has the mass and strength. Not
sure if and how bad it racks.

Gary Curtis

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com,
wrote:
I'm in the market for a Record type vice for my newly built low cost
bench. The archives are somewhat old on vices (other than it seems
everyone wants a Veritas twin screw , me too) and right now money is my
limiting factor, must be under $80. A 7" quick release Record type will
be fine. Have looked at Rockler (they have a neat Record type with a
capstan and wooden handle in this price range), Grizzly Shop Fox (rated
poorly by users on Amazon), Highland Hardware (they have the Groz vises
and the Anant vises) and Woodcraft has the Groz (7" vise on sale for
$59 including shipping) and several others.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4939

Does anyone have experience - good or bad with the Groz vises? At $59
it seems a good deal. Any other recommendations?

Don't forget to check out Harbor Freight. They have a 9" Record 52 1/2
copy (item # 94386) for $59 and it likely will go on sale sometime
within the next few months like most of their stuff does. I bought one
from them many years ago (Doubt if from the same manufacturer as their
current offering; mine was made in Tawian) and I really can't see
how a genuine Record would work any better. Once you've decided to go
with an Asian import, why pay more for essentially, if not exactly, the
same merchandise?

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -

With two unequal vices, which goes where pwef Woodworking 9 April 15th 06 07:36 PM
Groz Planes FB stephes Woodworking 3 January 1st 05 01:13 PM
Groz planes Doug Woodworking 2 December 5th 04 07:12 PM
Workbench vices Malcolm Webb Woodworking 18 November 26th 04 07:10 PM
Groz Planes David G. Sizemore Woodworking 10 November 26th 04 05:09 AM