Posted to rec.woodworking
pwef

Default With two unequal vices, which goes where

Hello group, I'm new here and new to the hobby. The archives you guys
have built up here are great. Thanks for that.

I bet I could find this answer in the archives but I can't find the
right search string. I just started my workbench project, a Good Fast
Cheap varient. I've got two vices, one a new inexpensive vice from
Rockler, and an old Wilton that weighs a ton. I'm looking at these
vices and I'm wondering which one should mounted where. I'm inclined to
use the massive Wilton for the face, thinking that that position will
see the most use and therefore will benefit more from the massiveness.
On the other hand, the newer lighter vice has a quick release, and I
imagine that that would be real handy on the front vise. I'd
appreciate any opinions regarding how I should be thinking about this.
Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On 13 Apr 2006 21:14:09 -0700, "pwef" wrote:

... snip I've got two vices,

I've got two vices too, but I'm trying to overcome them. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking
pwef

D'oh! And I knew about my problem with vices, too, and I still did it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Blanchard

Mark & Juanita wrote:

On 13 Apr 2006 21:14:09 -0700, "pwef" wrote:

... snip I've got two vices,

I've got two vices too, but I'm trying to overcome them. ;-)

Mine used to be equal, but now that I'm an old man ....

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Drackman

"pwef" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello group, I'm new here and new to the hobby. The archives you guys
have built up here are great. Thanks for that.

I bet I could find this answer in the archives but I can't find the
right search string. I just started my workbench project, a Good Fast
Cheap varient. I've got two vices, one a new inexpensive vice from
Rockler, and an old Wilton that weighs a ton. I'm looking at these
vices and I'm wondering which one should mounted where. I'm inclined to
use the massive Wilton for the face, thinking that that position will
see the most use and therefore will benefit more from the massiveness.
On the other hand, the newer lighter vice has a quick release, and I
imagine that that would be real handy on the front vise. I'd
appreciate any opinions regarding how I should be thinking about this.
Thanks in advance.

It sounds like both vices have similar functions and I question the need for
both on a bench. Have you thought of getting a second vice to use with dog
holes?

Posted to rec.woodworking
pwef

Frank Drackman wrote:
It sounds like both vices have similar functions and I question the need for
both on a bench. Have you thought of getting a second vice to use with dog
holes?

That is my thinking, that the end vice would be used in conjunction
with square bench dog holes. Both vises can accommodate dogs.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

On 14 Apr 2006 15:58:49 -0700, "pwef" wrote:

Frank Drackman wrote:
It sounds like both vices have similar functions and I question the need for
both on a bench. Have you thought of getting a second vice to use with dog
holes?

That is my thinking, that the end vice would be used in conjunction
with square bench dog holes. Both vises can accommodate dogs.

If it's the same cheap vise as I got from Rockler say goodbye to that
plastic dog about the 3rd time you use it. Replacing it with wood
isn't much of a problem though. But that's where I have mine, as an
end vise.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking
Glen

pwef wrote:
Frank Drackman wrote:

It sounds like both vices have similar functions and I question the need for
both on a bench. Have you thought of getting a second vice to use with dog
holes?

That is my thinking, that the end vice would be used in conjunction
with square bench dog holes. Both vises can accommodate dogs.

I, too, have numerous vices, but none deal with a dog's hole!

;-)
Glen
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article et,
Glen wrote:
pwef wrote:
Frank Drackman wrote:

It sounds like both vices have similar functions and I question the need for
both on a bench. Have you thought of getting a second vice to use with dog
holes?

That is my thinking, that the end vice would be used in conjunction
with square bench dog holes. Both vises can accommodate dogs.

I, too, have numerous vices, but none deal with a dog's hole!

Oh? you've never been guilty of trying to put a square dog in a round hole?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article .com,
pwef wrote:
Hello group, I'm new here and new to the hobby. The archives you guys
have built up here are great. Thanks for that.

I bet I could find this answer in the archives but I can't find the
right search string. I just started my workbench project, a Good Fast
Cheap varient. I've got two vices, one a new inexpensive vice from ...

I commend unto you, the words of Mae West, who opined:

"When confronted with the choice between two vices,
I try to select the one I haven't tried before."