Posted to rec.woodworking
cc cc is offline

Default HF 2hp DC modifications

Am replacing top bag with Wynne filter,and replacing 2 4" outlets with
one 6. Anyone do any thing else to this to ramp up the performance -
rewire to 220V, put on noise muffler, seperator, etc?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Noise muffler" you say? Hmmm, do you know of one you can buy or make?
I asked this question in my posting entitled "[Watching this topic]
Seeking suggestions on quietening a 2hp Jet cyclone DC" but got no

On Dec 29, 6:52 pm, "cc" wrote:
Am replacing top bag with Wynne filter,and replacing 2 4" outlets with
one 6. Anyone do any thing else to this to ramp up the performance -
rewire to 220V, put on noise muffler, seperator, etc?

Posted to rec.woodworking

cc wrote:
| Am replacing top bag with Wynne filter,and replacing 2 4" outlets
| with one 6. Anyone do any thing else to this to ramp up the
| performance - rewire to 220V, put on noise muffler, seperator, etc?

Separators (plural). I added a pair of 55 gal drums with LV separator
lids to mine. If you'd like to take a look, follow the link below.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hello Morris,
Thanks for putting up the link to your site and the picture of your
tandem 55 gal drums. Have you ever had the first drum fill up and clog
without allowing dust to get into drum number two? I was thinking of
running a second can - I'm using a 30 gal traskcan as my first stage -
because I can fill up the first stage quickly when I make pine boards
in my planer. However, I am concerned that it won't pass the chips
very easily.
I noticed that the collector bags where almost empty but the trash can
was "overflowing".
I am not using Lee Valley's cyclone lid, it's from another
manufacturer. My DC is the 50-760 from Delta- a 1.5 hp motor and I'm
running through 4 inch lines.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions. (Maybe just buying the LV tops
would make a difference.)
Marc

Morris Dovey wrote:
cc wrote:
| Am replacing top bag with Wynne filter,and replacing 2 4" outlets
| with one 6. Anyone do any thing else to this to ramp up the
| performance - rewire to 220V, put on noise muffler, seperator, etc?

Separators (plural). I added a pair of 55 gal drums with LV separator
lids to mine. If you'd like to take a look, follow the link below.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/dust_collection.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

marc rosen wrote:

| Thanks for putting up the link to your site and the picture of your
| tandem 55 gal drums. Have you ever had the first drum fill up and
| clog without allowing dust to get into drum number two?

No - when the first drum becomes much more than about 1/2 full, it
begins passing chips through to the second drum. I've been glad that I
ordered the clear lids so that I could easily monitor the fill levels.

Actually, a clear lid on just one drum would have been enough. When
the first drum approaches its limit, I empty _both_ drums because I
don't want to have to empty the collector bag.

| I was
| thinking of running a second can - I'm using a 30 gal traskcan as
| my first stage - because I can fill up the first stage quickly when
| I make pine boards in my planer. However, I am concerned that it
| won't pass the chips very easily.

I don't think you should have a problem.

| I noticed that the collector bags where almost empty but the trash
| can was "overflowing".

That was the result that I hoped for (and got).

| I am not using Lee Valley's cyclone lid, it's from another
| manufacturer. My DC is the 50-760 from Delta- a 1.5 hp motor and
| I'm running through 4 inch lines.

I'm fairly sure that my 2 HP motor isn't really. I run only a single
4" line and the whole setup is dedicated to the 'Bot. The very first
thing I did with it was to mill the entire 4x8 MDF table surface flat.
It took close to 3 hours with a 1/2" bit; and by the time it finished
the dust was so thick it was difficult to see all the way across the
shop. This setup was my first experience with dust collection - and
does a first class job.

I chose the HF 2HP DC because it was on sale for $150 in a local store
when I realized that dust collection was a must. It had a hole in one
of the bags (I patched that with duct tape on both sides) and HF
eventually (took 6 months) provided a replacement bag.

| Thanks in advance for any suggestions. (Maybe just buying the LV
| tops would make a difference.)

I don't have anything to compare the LV lids to. They were just the
first I found that offered an easy way to keep an eye on the fill
level.

I think that if I were to set up something like this for a planer that
got a lot of use, I'd be tempted to add a third separator drum and use
the clear lid on the drum closest to the DC.

My lunchbox planer turns out a lot of shavings but not much dust. I've
thought about connecting it to the DC - but still do that chip
collection with snow shovel and ShopVac.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

I'm fairly sure that my 2 HP motor isn't really. I run only a single
4" line and the whole setup is dedicated to the 'Bot. The very first
thing I did with it was to mill the entire 4x8 MDF table surface flat.
It took close to 3 hours with a 1/2" bit; and by the time it finished
the dust was so thick it was difficult to see all the way across the
shop. This setup was my first experience with dust collection - and
does a first class job.

??? That much dust in the air *with* a dust collector ???

-- Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark Jerde wrote:
| "Morris Dovey" wrote in message
|
|| I'm fairly sure that my 2 HP motor isn't really. I run only a
|| single 4" line and the whole setup is dedicated to the 'Bot. The
|| very first thing I did with it was to mill the entire 4x8 MDF
|| table surface flat. It took close to 3 hours with a 1/2" bit; and
|| by the time it finished the dust was so thick it was difficult to
|| see all the way across the shop. This setup was my first
|| experience with dust collection - and does a first class job.
|
| ??? That much dust in the air *with* a dust collector ???

No - that was the experience that convinced me that dust collection
wasn't an option, but rather a _requirement_.

It took quite a while to clean up after that first cutting session
(but the table surface ended up _flat_)

Each spring since then I trim off another 0.01" from the table top to
keep it flat. So far I've gotten fairly good mileage out of that 3/4"
sheet of MDF. g

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

I put the Wynn filter on my unit before I ever turned it on. I can
notice a difference when the filter starts to plug up. To clean it I
take it off the machine and roll it around the driveway with a black
bag over it.

The 6" line is a bit too large. But I have considered replacing the
impellar with a larger Jet model if it would fit on the motor arbor.

Alan

Altec 1592b modifications Jandree Electronics Repair 1 July 16th 06 11:54 PM
Table Saw Modifications Mekon Woodworking 0 June 3rd 06 04:02 AM
TS modifications RayV Woodworking 12 August 28th 05 11:51 AM
Alinco DR 590 modifications????? [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 January 17th 05 03:09 PM