RayV

Default TS modifications

I'm considering building a cabinet for my contractor saw and router
similar to this:

http://images.meredith.com/wood/images/p_462_11_1.gif

My biggest concern would be finding stable casters. The casters on my
roll around tool chest easily hold hundreds of pounds and the brakes
lock securely, but there is no way to stop the two swivel casters from
turning.

Any experiences here building one of these saw cabinets? What worked
and what didn't?

Chris

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm considering building a cabinet for my contractor saw and router
similar to this:

http://images.meredith.com/wood/images/p_462_11_1.gif

My biggest concern would be finding stable casters. The casters on my
roll around tool chest easily hold hundreds of pounds and the brakes
lock securely, but there is no way to stop the two swivel casters from
turning.

Any experiences here building one of these saw cabinets? What worked
and what didn't?

If you take a look at your tool chest again, I am pretty sure you will see
that two are fixed and two are swivel with brakes.

This does a pretty good job of keeping things from moving. How well the
design will work on a TS is another question. My fear is that you might end
up taking them off after they start moving with something heavy on the
table, or ripping a long board.

Take notice on how the commercial ones are made. All with retractable
wheels. Might be something to copy.

Chris

Leon

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm considering building a cabinet for my contractor saw and router
similar to this:

http://images.meredith.com/wood/images/p_462_11_1.gif

My biggest concern would be finding stable casters. The casters on my
roll around tool chest easily hold hundreds of pounds and the brakes
lock securely, but there is no way to stop the two swivel casters from
turning.

Any experiences here building one of these saw cabinets? What worked
and what didn't?

If you put the swivel casters at the opposite end of the saw you may not
have any problem at all. My 3 caster mobile unit under my Jet cabinet saw
has a single swivel caster under the table extension end and 2 fixed casters
at the front and back of the saw cabinet. I Never have to lock the casters
to keep it from moving when sawing.

SonomaProducts.com

I know that Bench Dog router tables have casters and screw down
legs/feet so you lift the table off of the casters with the feet when
you are going to use it.

It is a bit of a pain if you need move it often but provides a pretty
solid base otherwise.

Jim

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm considering building a cabinet for my contractor saw and router
similar to this:

http://images.meredith.com/wood/images/p_462_11_1.gif

My biggest concern would be finding stable casters. The casters on my
roll around tool chest easily hold hundreds of pounds and the brakes
lock securely, but there is no way to stop the two swivel casters from
turning.

I bought locking swivel casters from Woodcraft. The lock prevents swivellin
and rolling. They are rated at 300 pounds each. My cabinet has 6 casters
which surely are enough for any table saw..
Jim

Any experiences here building one of these saw cabinets? What worked
and what didn't?

Ray :

I would recomend a Delta mobile base kit. Build it to your size. It
drops the weight down to the floor and works very well. I have them on
my workbenches here at the school.

Mike

George E. Cawthon

Chris wrote:
"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

You should never have said that! Somebody will
now convert the thread to a discussion of patents.
Chris

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Chris wrote:
"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Sorry. I will go back to my corner.

Chris

arw01

You must be in the Idaho panhandle...

Enjoying my diesel, I mean ice water daily..

Alan

CaptMike

RayV wrote:
I'm considering building a cabinet for my contractor saw and router
similar to this:

http://images.meredith.com/wood/images/p_462_11_1.gif

My biggest concern would be finding stable casters. The casters on my
roll around tool chest easily hold hundreds of pounds and the brakes
lock securely, but there is no way to stop the two swivel casters from
turning.

Any experiences here building one of these saw cabinets? What worked
and what didn't?

Ray...

Simplest solution would be to buy WoodCraft's Universal Mobile Base Kit
and build your under-saw cabinet with a 3/4" bottom. Bolt the extra HD
mobile base corners into place and you'd have a nice setup. Sets down
on adjustable steel legs, lifts on two fixed and two swivel casters.
I'm using this setup on my Unisaw which weighs in over 420 pounds IIRC,
and it moves, levels, and locks like a charm.

Mike
Roy

I built a modified version of Popular WW's Little Shop:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/fe...ea.asp?id=1053

I put 4 of the swivel casters from Woodcraft on the thing, have it loaded down with various power
tools in the storage space, and can still roll it with one finger in my gara...shop. I started off
locking all 4 wheels, but now I usually lock only 2 on one of the long sides, usually the front
because that's where I'm standing at the time. My floor is pretty level, so those two wheels are
all it takes unless it is something heavy or really bulky like a sheet of ply.

I like these casters a lot. I will eventually replace all my others with these, and do away with
all my fixed casters. I find it much easier to shove the TS diagonally to get it out of the way,
rather than parking it as you would with fixed casters. It's a little thing, I admit, but very
handy. Kind of like a remote for the dust collector. I don't need it, but I really appreciate
having it.