Posted to rec.woodworking

Default HELP Buring Wood withTS

Happy Holidays

I could use the group's help. I've been experimenting with finger (box)
joints using my tablesaw and Freud stacked dado blades.
I've been using a 1/4" stack to dado 1/4" wide, 3/8" high finger joints
through 1/4" plywood. Every cut burns the wood and lets
off some pretty serious smoke and stink. I've tried slow feed and moderate
feed to control the quality of the dado cut and not
overwhelm the motor. Tips of the dado blades getting a rusty color to them
as well. Its not rust as I baby them and keep them
safely stored when not in use.

Is plywood susceptible to burning? Am I killing my saw and blades? Any
advice to cut these joints correctly is greatly appreciated

Here are my tool specs:
TS Craftsman 10" (model 315-228390)
1-1/2 HP induction motor developing (?) up to 3HP
3600 RPM
13 amp

Freud 8" , 12 teeth, stacked dado blade (SD 208)

Happy New Year
Shecky
remove "woodworking" to email.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Shecky wrote:
Happy Holidays

I could use the group's help. I've been experimenting with finger (box)
joints using my tablesaw and Freud stacked dado blades.
I've been using a 1/4" stack to dado 1/4" wide, 3/8" high finger joints
through 1/4" plywood. Every cut burns the wood and lets
off some pretty serious smoke and stink. I've tried slow feed and moderate
feed to control the quality of the dado cut and not
overwhelm the motor. Tips of the dado blades getting a rusty color to them
as well. Its not rust as I baby them and keep them
safely stored when not in use.

Is plywood susceptible to burning? Am I killing my saw and blades? Any
advice to cut these joints correctly is greatly appreciated

Don't ask me how I know this, but you will get those results if the
blades or chippers are on backwards. Plywood tends to stink anyway,
and chip on the cross-cuts, but it shouldn't be burning. My Freud dado
cuts clean as a whistle with no burning ever.

DonkeyHody
"Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate."

Posted to rec.woodworking

Shecky wrote:
| Happy Holidays
|
| I could use the group's help. I've been experimenting with finger
| (box) joints using my tablesaw and Freud stacked dado blades.
| I've been using a 1/4" stack to dado 1/4" wide, 3/8" high finger
| joints through 1/4" plywood. Every cut burns the wood and lets
| off some pretty serious smoke and stink. I've tried slow feed and
| moderate feed to control the quality of the dado cut and not
| overwhelm the motor. Tips of the dado blades getting a rusty color
| to them as well. Its not rust as I baby them and keep them
| safely stored when not in use.
|
| Is plywood susceptible to burning? Am I killing my saw and blades?
| Any advice to cut these joints correctly is greatly appreciated
|
| Here are my tool specs:
| TS Craftsman 10" (model 315-228390)
| 1-1/2 HP induction motor developing (?) up to 3HP
| 3600 RPM
| 13 amp
|
| Freud 8" , 12 teeth, stacked dado blade (SD 208)

[1] Make sure cutters are sharp.

[2] Feed faster - not slower - to avoid burning. If necessary, use a
sacrificial board behind the stock you're cutting to minimize/prevent
tearout.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Shecky" wrote in message
[...]

Might be side loading a bit. Not unknown for a miter gage to creep or a
pair of hands to allow the board to creep. How's the fit, otherwise?

I use the router and a spiral bit. Tablesaw jigs always seemed too fussy.
http://www.routerworkshop.com/boxjoints.html Easily made jig. Recommend
old laminate flooring for the base, UHMW plastic for the fence(s).

Posted to rec.woodworking

DonkeyHody & all the group

Thx for such fast and nice replies. I won't ask you about the backwards
blades if you promise to delete my posting. My blades were on backwards.
Too many blade swaps on the saw today and I didnt pay attention.

Then I used all your advice (fater rate of feed, backerboard to reduce
tearout) and all is great. Like a hot knife through butter.

Too bad. I already planted the seed with SWMBO that I needed a full sized
cabinet saw with greater power. So lets let this be our secret. For now
I'll just stick with my Craftsman..until the next mistake I make.

Thanks again and Happy New Year!

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message
ups.com...