Posted to rec.woodworking

Default craftsman router in bosch 1617 base?

So I have the Craftsman version of the Bosch 1617. The purchase was a
mistake from the point of view of that the base is non-standard. I like the
rest of it. I was thinking that it would be nice to mount a permanent base
to a router table (not yet built) and just move the motor around. I could
probably find an extra craftsman base, but then I got to wondering whether
the Craftsman motor would drop into a base for the 1617. It would be easier
to find and would have the added benefit of a more standard base
pattern/size too.

So basically the question is....Would it fit?

Thoughts? Experience? Guesses?

Thanks

Jordan

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jordan" wrote in message
. ..
So I have the Craftsman version of the Bosch 1617. The purchase was a
mistake from the point of view of that the base is non-standard. I like
the rest of it. I was thinking that it would be nice to mount a
permanent base to a router table (not yet built) and just move the motor
around.

Another option is to buy a lift. If you don't want to go that route, I'm
not using my 1617 base since I put the router into a Benchdog lift. If
interested, contact me at

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jordan" wrote in message
. ..
So I have the Craftsman version of the Bosch 1617. The purchase was a
mistake from the point of view of that the base is non-standard. I like
the rest of it. I was thinking that it would be nice to mount a
permanent base to a router table (not yet built) and just move the motor
around. I could probably find an extra craftsman base, but then I got to
wondering whether the Craftsman motor would drop into a base for the 1617.
It would be easier to find and would have the added benefit of a more
standard base pattern/size too.

I don't know about the Craftsman, but the 1617 is horrible in a router
table. Coarse adjustments are time consuming and fine adjustments are
random (you turn the adjustment screw and it either goes up twice what you
expect or not at all).
Also, moving it around is a pain.
I got a lift and all is well now. It is not cheap, but it is worth it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I just used a standard base. I "think" the only difference here is that you
can adjust it from above the table as well as from below. That doesn't seem
like a big deal, since you have to go below to lock and unlock it anyhow.
The screw mechanism is erratic. Sometimes it seems to grab more than other
times; it seemed to have very sloppy tolerances.
Handheld it is fine; maybe gravity is pulling the wrong way when upside
down. Can't say for sure, just know it was a PITA for 2 years until I got a
lift.

"Jordan" wrote in message
. ..
Even with something like this? Is this just the standard base?

http://www.amazon.com/Ra1164-BOSCH-U.../dp/B000APHXJQ

"Toller" wrote in message
news

"Jordan" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:

I don't know about the Craftsman, but the 1617 is horrible in a router
table. Coarse adjustments are time consuming and fine adjustments are
random (you turn the adjustment screw and it either goes up twice what you
expect or not at all).

I've got the 1617 in a stand. Dunno I'd call it "horrible".

Using the fixed base (not the plunge one) coarse adjustments are really
fast...push in the spring-loaded catch with one hand, slide the router
up/down with the other. Fine adjustments are helped with a little
support under the motor so it doesn't stick in the base. That way the
screw adjustment works predictably.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
news

I don't know about the Craftsman, but the 1617 is horrible in a router
table. Coarse adjustments are time consuming and fine adjustments are
random (you turn the adjustment screw and it either goes up twice what you
expect or not at all).
Also, moving it around is a pain.
I got a lift and all is well now. It is not cheap, but it is worth it.

It sounds like you need to adjust the clamp a bit tighter so that the base
is not so loose when the lock lever is opened. If it is not properly
tensioned you will get too much slop in the travel causing the problems you
experience.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Jordan wrote:
So I have the Craftsman version of the Bosch 1617. The purchase was a
mistake from the point of view of that the base is non-standard. I like the
rest of it. I was thinking that it would be nice to mount a permanent base
to a router table (not yet built) and just move the motor around. I could
probably find an extra craftsman base, but then I got to wondering whether
the Craftsman motor would drop into a base for the 1617. It would be easier
to find and would have the added benefit of a more standard base
pattern/size too.

So basically the question is....Would it fit?

Thoughts? Experience? Guesses?

Thanks

Jordan

Can't say for sure about this particular combination, but when I have
had similar questions I have taken a tool into a store to test out on
a display model, requesting permission from the store owner or clerk
first.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland -