Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Source for FireStorm batteries in Canuckistan?

I've got an old FireStorm 14.4 drill that's outlasted it's (sliding)
batteries, so I'm looking for a source for replacements. Yes, I know it's
orange and it's rather gutless, but it's OK for most jobs. Besides, I get
out the big blue Makita if I have to make any serious holes.

Ideally I'd like to find the FS140BX extended runtime version.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I can Google, why can't you?

See more Firestorm Tools
www.firestormtools.com

FireStorm 14.4v Volt Extended Run Time Battery
Model # FS140BX

High output nickel cadmium battery cells with "no memory"
technology provide up to 500 recharges.

FSXtreme battery provides extended run time

Patented spring loaded slide pack battery allows user to easily
install and remove battery

http://www.blackanddecker.com/produc...view=4#details

The Factory Stores feature the largest selection of Black & Decker
home appliances and factory reconditioned power tools, outdoor power
equipment and home products. Come experience the value at a location near
you!

California

Black & Decker Factory Store
Vacaville Premium Outlets
(Just off Highway 80 in Vacaville)
331 K Nut Tree Road
Vacaville, CA 95687
(707) 453-1256

Delaware

Black & Decker Factory Store
Tanger Factory Outlet Center (Bayside)
Suite 800 Bayside Outlet Dr.
Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971
(302) 227-4220

Florida

Black & Decker Factory Store
Sawgrass Mills/VF Building
12801 West Sunrise Blvd. suite 102
Sunrise, FL 33323
(954) 853-7882

Black & Decker Factory Store
Prime Outlets at Ellenton
5151 Factory Shops Blvd.
Ellenton, FL 34222
(941) 721-7334

Georgia

Black & Decker Factory Store
Prime Outlets at Calhoun
(I-75 to Exit 312 then 455 Belwood Road)
455 Bellwood Road, Suite 27
Calhoun, GA 30701
(706) 602-8848

Black & Decker Factory Store
Lake Park Outlets
5133 Mill Store Road
Lake Park, GA 31636
(229) 559-4006

Massachusetts

Black & Decker Factory Store
Wrentham Village Premium Outlets
(Off Exit 15 of Interstate 495 in Massachusetts)
One Premium Outlet Blvd., Suite 750
Wrentham, MA 02093
(508) 384-7199

Maryland

Black & Decker Factory Store
Prime Outlets at Hagerstown
540 Prime Outlet Blvd.
Hagerstown, MD 21740
(301) 766-7105

Maine

Black & Decker Factory Store
Tanger Factory Outlet Center
283 US Route 1, Suite 11
Kittery, ME 03904
(207) 439-5681

Michigan

Black & Decker Factory Store
Prime Outlets at Birch Run
(Interstate 75 at Exit #136)
12200 Beyer Rd Suite E50
Birch Run, MI 48415
(989) 624-4370

Missouri

Black & Decker Factory Store
Tanger Factory Outlet Center
(West Highway 76)
300 Tanger Blvd., Suite 217
Branson, MO 65616
(417) 334-7825

North Carolina

Black & Decker Factory Store
Concord Mills
8111 Concord Mills Blvd., Suite 501
Concord, NC 28027
(704) 979-1520

Nevada

Black & Decker Factory Store
Las Vegas Outlets
7400 South Las Vegas Blvd., Space 210
Las Vegas, NV 89123
(702) 270-7750
New York

Black & Decker Factory Store
Waterloo Premium Outlets
655 Route 318
Waterloo, NY 13165
(315) 539-0639

Oregon

Black & Decker Factory Store
Seaside Factory Outlets
1111 North Roosevelt Drive, Suite 336
Seaside, OR 97138
(503) 717-8717

Pennsylvania

Black & Decker Factory Store
Prime Outlets at Grove City
(Exit 113 Off I-79)
I-79 and Route 208, P.O. Box 1114
Grove City, PA 16127
(724) 748-5511

Black & Decker Factory Store
Rockvale Outlets Lancaster
(Route 30 and 896)
35 South Willowdale Drive, Box No. 1821
Lancaster, PA 17602
(717) 295-7636

Black & Decker Factory Store
VF Outlet Village
801 Hill Avenue
Wyomissing, PA 19610
(610) 373-0351

South Carolina

Black & Decker Factory Store
Tanger Factory Outlet Center
(Highway 501N. - 3 Miles West of the Waterway)
4642 Factory Stores Blvd Suite FF105 (Highway 501 North)
Myrtle Beach, SC 29579
(843) 236-9567

Tennessee

Black & Decker Factory Store
Belz Factory Outlet World
2655 Teaster Lane, Suite 50
Pigeon Forge, TN 37863
(865) 428-3307

Texas

Black & Decker Factory Store
Prime Outlets at Hillsboro
104 I-35, Suite 155
Hillsboro, TX 76645
(254) 582-1153

Black & Decker Factory Store
Tanger Factory Outlet Center
4015 Interstate 35, Suite 810
San Marcos, TX 78666
(512) 392-4000

Virginia

Black & Decker Factory Store
The Williamsburg Outlet Mall
6401 Richmond Road, Space 14
Lightfoot, VA 23090
(757) 564-3658

Washington

Black & Decker Factory Store
Factory Stores at North Bend
(Exit 31 Off I-90)
521 South Fork Avenue, Suite 521 E/F
North Bend, WA 98045
(425) 888-5535

Wisconsin

Black & Decker Factory Store
Prime Outlets at Pleasant Prairie
11211 120th Avenue, Space 42
Pleasant Prairie, WI 53158
(262) 857-3231

West Virginia

Black & Decker Factory Store
Flatwoods Factory Stores
256 Skidmore Lane
Sutton, WV 26601
(304) 765-3226

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I've got an old FireStorm 14.4 drill that's outlasted it's (sliding)
batteries, so I'm looking for a source for replacements. Yes, I know it's
orange and it's rather gutless, but it's OK for most jobs. Besides, I get
out the big blue Makita if I have to make any serious holes.

Ideally I'd like to find the FS140BX extended runtime version.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Bill Stock wrote:
I've got an old FireStorm 14.4 drill that's outlasted it's (sliding)
batteries, so I'm looking for a source for replacements. Yes, I know it's
orange and it's rather gutless, but it's OK for most jobs. Besides, I get
out the big blue Makita if I have to make any serious holes.

Ideally I'd like to find the FS140BX extended runtime version.

In our town there are two battery stores that rebuild NiCads.
Interstate Battery was the one I used (better price) when my Milwaukee
18V began to get tired. The rebuild was better than the original, so I
asked the Interstate folks if they sold rebuilts. Turns out they had
some that customers had never picked up, so I bought an extra at less
than half the new price. Later had the other original rebuilt giving me
three really good batteries. None of these seem to lose much charge if
they aren't used for a while. Good value for the $$ IMO.

Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Bill Stock
wrote:

I've got an old FireStorm 14.4 drill that's outlasted it's (sliding)
batteries, so I'm looking for a source for replacements. Yes, I know it's
orange and it's rather gutless, but it's OK for most jobs. Besides, I get
out the big blue Makita if I have to make any serious holes.

Ideally I'd like to find the FS140BX extended runtime version.

Where in Canada are you, Bill?

Here in Saskatoon, I've gone to Battery Boys and had them rebuild for
me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:251220061357549017%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
In article , Bill Stock
wrote:

I've got an old FireStorm 14.4 drill that's outlasted it's (sliding)
batteries, so I'm looking for a source for replacements. Yes, I know it's
orange and it's rather gutless, but it's OK for most jobs. Besides, I get
out the big blue Makita if I have to make any serious holes.

Ideally I'd like to find the FS140BX extended runtime version.

Where in Canada are you, Bill?

Here in Saskatoon, I've gone to Battery Boys and had them rebuild for
me.

Mississauga.

I was considering rebuilding them, since they aren't glued together. Just
seems to be 12 C Cells and some shrink wrap. Although the new batteries are
only $40 US, so it hardly seems worth it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bill Stock wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I'll have to investigate the rebuilts. Maybe they can put some Nimhs
in the old drill.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Be careful there Bill. Not all NiCd chargers can also do NiMH and you could end up
ruining the new cells or having to buy a new charger. Best to check first.

Art

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

Thanks, I'll have to investigate the rebuilts. Maybe they can put some Nimhs
in the old drill.

Posted to rec.woodworking
JD JD is offline

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 17:51:08 +0000, resrfglc wrote:

SNIP

That's fine list of US stores you provide, but he lives in Mississagua (if
I spelled it right) which is in a place called CANADA. So, if you had
added a +Canada to your Google search, it have been more informative north
of the border.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"JD" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 17:51:08 +0000, resrfglc wrote:

SNIP

That's fine list of US stores you provide, but he lives in Mississagua (if
I spelled it right) which is in a place called CANADA. So, if you had
added a +Canada to your Google search, it have been more informative north
of the border.

LOL, I'm glad someone was paying attention. I've checked online and they
don't appear to be in any of the stores here. I'm going to the Dewalt
Service Outlet today to see if they carry them. They're only $24.97 at
Lowes, so I might have to bug my cousin to mail me a couple. She'll be
thrilled. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
Mon, Dec 25, 2006, 12:18pm (Bill Stock) doth query:
I've got an old FireStorm 14.4 drill that's outlasted it's (sliding)
batteries, so I'm looking for a source for replacements. snip

I don't care much for cordless tools myself. But when they were
growing up, my two sons got into radio controlled vehicles big-time.
Those battery packs were pricey. Very pricey. So, because I couldn't
afford all they wanted, they quickly learned how to make their own,
using rechargable batteries soldered together, and held together with
tape. Loads cheaper, and worked just as well. Maybe you can do
something like that. They're 26 and 30 now, and still play with radio
control vehicles.

Thanks, I priced the replacement cells and they were about $3 US each +
shipping + brokerage + aggravation. I had the battery apart and it did not
seem to be a simple task to replace the cells.

I went to the DeeWalt store yesterday and they wanted $85 (regular price)
each for the standard replacement batteries. They didn't appear to know
about the extended run time batteries I wanted. (Sucks being in a small
market). But they had 35% of Dewalt and 50% off B&D for their Boxing Day
sale, so I could have had the regular batteries for about $100 CDN including
tax. They had one of those B&D 18V combos (Drill, Flashlight, Circular Saw
and Reciprocating Saw) for $125 after discount. But I bought a scratch &
dent (refurb) Dewalt 14.4 1/2" drill with new XRP batteries for $160, these
are $240 USD on Amazon today. They had a whole stack of 18V hammer drills
for some extra bucks, but I already have a corded hammer drill.

I'll likely pick up some batteries (eBay) for the old drill when I see them
cheap and give it to some tool poor buddy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

"J T" wrote in message
[...]

If you are willing to take the thing apart, consider getting a cheap drill
battery of the same voltage (most of them use sub c cells anyway- I'm
assuming there's a equivelant to harbor freight tools in canada) though the
batteries will be of lower quality and capacity. If you have access to a
multimeter, you might find that only a couple of the cells might be causing
the problems. They can be replaced though the mismatching of the cells is a
nono according to some, I've done it for a friend when he wanted to get a
bit more use out of a 18v dewalt without springing for a new battery. Pat

Posted to rec.woodworking

"maico" wrote in message
http://www.primecell.com/pctools.htm

They are in the US but they come highly recommended and rebuilt
batteries are about half the price of new ones (for DeWalt anyways)
when you account for exchange and shipping.

No need to do that when there's plenty of places up here in Canada that can
rebuild batteries. Magnacharge in Mississauga is what I use. I do it through
my business name, but if they refuse to rebuild batteries for a private
individual, then there's plenty of other places up here that rebuild also.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"maico" wrote in message
How are the prices and the resulting batteries? I am about to send
mine off so your help/advice would really be appreciated!

I've had my UPS batteries rebuilt and two Milwaukee cordless drill batteries
rebuilt. They're all still working on those rebuilt batteries. As far as I'm
concerned, they all came back working as well or better then when they were
new. The cordless batteries cost me about $60 CA each. Not cheap, but most
definitely cheaper than buying new.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"maico" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hmmm...not as cheap as I was hoping; the same price as sending them to
the US. I will take my chances across the border. Thanks for the
info.

Michael

I'd be careful going this route. I don't know your battery size/quanity, so
assuming you have a couple of 14.4 NiCads. It will cost you the following.

$76 ($38 x 2) per battery
$21 shipping (They use UPS BTW)
$20 UPS brokerage
$6 UPS Disbursement Fee
$4 UPS COD Fee

+ GST + PST (Which you have to pay here on the product only)

It works out to more than $60 USD a battery.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You are right: I forgot about the UPS fees and taxes. What happened to
free trade?

All right then, I will find a local rebuilder. Again, any suggestions
other than Magnacharge?

Whew, I almost crossed over to the dark side!

Michael

Bill Stock wrote:
"maico" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hmmm...not as cheap as I was hoping; the same price as sending them to
the US. I will take my chances across the border. Thanks for the
info.

Michael

I'd be careful going this route. I don't know your battery size/quanity, so
assuming you have a couple of 14.4 NiCads. It will cost you the following.

$76 ($38 x 2) per battery
$21 shipping (They use UPS BTW)
$20 UPS brokerage
$6 UPS Disbursement Fee
$4 UPS COD Fee

+ GST + PST (Which you have to pay here on the product only)

It works out to more than $60 USD a battery.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"maico" wrote in message
All right then, I will find a local rebuilder. Again, any suggestions
other than Magnacharge?

Yup. It's called opening the Yellow Pages and looking under batteries.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gee, thanks for that tidbit, I never would have guessed. What I am
REALLY looking for is a reputable rebuilder whose service has been used
and the user is happy with the product; that cannot be found in the
Yellow pages.

That said, I will try Magnacharge per your recommendation as it is the
only one offered.

Thanks.

Michael

Upscale wrote:
"maico" wrote in message
All right then, I will find a local rebuilder. Again, any suggestions
other than Magnacharge?

Yup. It's called opening the Yellow Pages and looking under batteries.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"maico" wrote in message
Gee, thanks for that tidbit, I never would have guessed. What I am
REALLY looking for is a reputable rebuilder whose service has been used
and the user is happy with the product; that cannot be found in the
Yellow pages.

And that was exactly what I offered you, but you chose to keep looking for
something cheaper. THAT'S why I told you to look in the Yellow Pages.

That said, I will try Magnacharge per your recommendation as it is the
only one offered.

I think you will be satisfied if you go with Magnacharge. I've had
experience with other battery rebuilders and my take on it is that you get
what you pay for when it comes to battery rebuilding.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I contacted Magnacharge: they don't rebuild batteries anymore! They
stopped that service a year ago or so. I checked with their
recommendation, Batterysonic, and he said he doesn't rebuild them too
often. Now I am running out of local possiblities. Does anyone know
of a reputable battery rebuilder?

Michael

Upscale wrote:
"maico" wrote in message
Gee, thanks for that tidbit, I never would have guessed. What I am
REALLY looking for is a reputable rebuilder whose service has been used
and the user is happy with the product; that cannot be found in the
Yellow pages.

And that was exactly what I offered you, but you chose to keep looking for
something cheaper. THAT'S why I told you to look in the Yellow Pages.

That said, I will try Magnacharge per your recommendation as it is the
only one offered.

I think you will be satisfied if you go with Magnacharge. I've had
experience with other battery rebuilders and my take on it is that you get
what you pay for when it comes to battery rebuilding.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"maico" wrote in message
I contacted Magnacharge: they don't rebuild batteries anymore! They
stopped that service a year ago or so. I checked with their
recommendation, Batterysonic, and he said he doesn't rebuild them too
often. Now I am running out of local possiblities. Does anyone know
of a reputable battery rebuilder?

Batteries Plus rebuilds them I believe. They're a retail outfit. Can't vouch
for their reputation since I've never used them.

As much as you hate doing so, you may end up skimming the Yellow Pages after
all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Batteries Plus is not in Canada. The Source (Circuit City) builds
them: for $90/battery! Might as well buy new at that price!

I don't hate the Yellow Pages: that's where I went first, phoned
everyone and found that no one would rebuild cordless tool batteries.
It is to the point now that I don't have a choice but to send them down
to PrimeCell after all. Sheesh!

Last call: does anyone know anyone that will rebuild Dewalt 14.4V
cordless drill batteries in Canada?

Michael

Upscale wrote:
"maico" wrote in message
I contacted Magnacharge: they don't rebuild batteries anymore! They
stopped that service a year ago or so. I checked with their
recommendation, Batterysonic, and he said he doesn't rebuild them too
often. Now I am running out of local possiblities. Does anyone know
of a reputable battery rebuilder?

Batteries Plus rebuilds them I believe. They're a retail outfit. Can't vouch
for their reputation since I've never used them.

As much as you hate doing so, you may end up skimming the Yellow Pages after
all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"maico" wrote in message
Batteries Plus is not in Canada. The Source (Circuit City) builds
them: for $90/battery! Might as well buy new at that price!

Battery Plus - 416-596-1701
220 Yonge Street, Toronto, ON M5B 2H1

Battery Plus - 416-536-6116
Dufferin Mall
ON

Posted to rec.woodworking

"maico" wrote in message

I don't hate the Yellow Pages: that's where I went first, phoned
everyone and found that no one would rebuild cordless tool batteries.
It is to the point now that I don't have a choice but to send them down
to PrimeCell after all. Sheesh!

Not wishing to start an argument, but I have a problem believing that a
battery rebuilder is so hard to find. I'd bet that by spending less than 30
minutes on the phone, I could some company from the link below that rebuilds
batteries.

http://canada411.yellowpages.ca/sear...to&x= 38&y=18

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com,
maico wrote:

Last call: does anyone know anyone that will rebuild Dewalt 14.4V
cordless drill batteries in Canada?

This is a big country...

I've had mine (not Dewalt) rebuilt by Battery Boys here in Saskatoon.
You don't say where you're located, though.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I am in Ontario.

I have contacted most of the names on that link and they don't offer
the rebuild service. Yes, I ask them who they recommend and I follow
up with that. I even called the Recycle organization (can't remember
their official name) to see who they would recommend. I haven't had a
response yet but I still need to give them a followup call.

Thanks everyone for your help, my search is not over but I will let you
know what I find.

Michael

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article . com,
maico wrote:

Last call: does anyone know anyone that will rebuild Dewalt 14.4V
cordless drill batteries in Canada?

This is a big country...

I've had mine (not Dewalt) rebuilt by Battery Boys here in Saskatoon.
You don't say where you're located, though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have found someone, by chance, at the Hamilton Woodshow this
weekend: http://www.batterybuyer.com/

They don't rebuild, they replace. They use Panasonic cells. They are
quite knowledgable and the best part is the price: $43.15 +tx per
pack (Dewalt 14.4V equivalents)! They are upgraded to 2200 mah as
well. I just finished charging them and I am extremely happy with the
power. I have not tested durability yet. They warranty their
batteries for one year. They ship anywhere in Canada for $7
regardless of how many products you buy! $12 to the USA.
Unbeatable. They also make Nimh upgrades as well. They don't have a
retail sto online or telephone.

Check them out. Hope this helps. BTW, I will keep my old packs until
I find a cheap rebuild service.

Ciao for now,

Michael

On Jan 7, 9:51 am, "maico" wrote:
I am in Ontario.

I have contacted most of the names on that link and they don't offer
the rebuild service. Yes, I ask them who they recommend and I follow
up with that. I even called the Recycle organization (can't remember
their official name) to see who they would recommend. I haven't had a
response yet but I still need to give them a followup call.

Thanks everyone for your help, my search is not over but I will let you
know what I find.

Michael

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article . com,
maico wrote:

Last call: does anyone know anyone that will rebuild Dewalt 14.4V
cordless drill batteries in Canada?

This is a big country...

I've had mine (not Dewalt) rebuilt by Battery Boys here in Saskatoon.
You don't say where you're located, though.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -