RonB

Default Source - Reasonably Priced Cordless Batteries.

My old Makita 14.4V 6233D cordless drill works fine but both of my batteries
are near the end of their life. As many of you already know the price of
replacement batteries is obscene.

The closest I have come to "reasonable" is about $45 through several web
sources. Everything local is in the $65 to $80 price range. Does anyone
have experience with a particular supplier or battery brand?

Thanks.
RonB

Swingman

"RonB" wrote in message
My old Makita 14.4V 6233D cordless drill works fine but both of my

batteries
are near the end of their life. As many of you already know the price of
replacement batteries is obscene.

The closest I have come to "reasonable" is about $45 through several web
sources. Everything local is in the $65 to $80 price range. Does anyone
have experience with a particular supplier or battery brand?

Consider having them rebuilt by www.primecell.com. My DeWalt 18v batteries
came back stronger and holding a charge better than when new.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/17/05

Ecnerwal

In article lAV_e.30738$tT.874@okepread02, "RonB"
wrote:
The closest I have come to "reasonable" is about $45 through several web
sources. Everything local is in the $65 to $80 price range. Does anyone
have experience with a particular supplier or battery brand?

I bought some replacements for another brand of drill from Suburban
Electronics (via web - storefront might be somewhere in Maryland, IIRC).
Seemed, at that time, to be the best price for batteries to fit that
drill - They are third-party batteries, not the maker's brand - I have
no problem with that - they fit and work perfectly, and have for almost
2 years now. It looks like the cheapest they list for Makita 14.4V are
about $45, so you may have already found them...

http://www.power-toolbatteries.com/makita.htm

Just a happy customer. Well, as happy as one can be paying that large of
a fraction of the price of the drill just for new batteries, but it beat
paying more than the original price of the drill for brand-faithful
replacement batteries.

Keep an eye out - if Makita has not completely changed the tools (ie, if
they still sell new ones with the same battery you use) you might find a
drill, two batteries, and some other accessory on sale for under $100 -
it's not logical, but it happens.

There has also been some mention from time to time of places that will
rebuild your batteries, or of doing so yourself if you are so inclined.

Joe User

RonB wrote:
My old Makita 14.4V 6233D cordless drill works fine but both of my batteries
are near the end of their life.

I checked with BatteriesPlus, and they would rebuild my 14.4V pack for
about $35, plus tax. Don't know if they do web/shipping type work.

That same week in the paper, Sears had a craftsman 14.4V drill/driver
with 2 batteries for about the same price as rebuilding both batteries
in the old one. Yeah, I know, crapsman, but I was pleased with mine for
the first 6 or 8 years, until the batteries wouldn't hold a charge anymore.

I've priced the cells to do the rebuild myself, and I couldn't do it as
cheap as $35, ignoring the fact I don't have a spot welder.

-j
max

Here is a place that rebuilds batteries and is supposed to do a better job
than the batteries that come from the factory.
Max
http://www.primecell.com/pctools.htm

My old Makita 14.4V 6233D cordless drill works fine but both of my batteries
are near the end of their life. As many of you already know the price of
replacement batteries is obscene.

The closest I have come to "reasonable" is about $45 through several web
sources. Everything local is in the $65 to $80 price range. Does anyone
have experience with a particular supplier or battery brand?

Thanks.
RonB

Eugene Nine

Joe User wrote:

RonB wrote:
My old Makita 14.4V 6233D cordless drill works fine but both of my
batteries are near the end of their life.

I checked with BatteriesPlus, and they would rebuild my 14.4V pack for
about $35, plus tax. Don't know if they do web/shipping type work.

That same week in the paper, Sears had a craftsman 14.4V drill/driver
with 2 batteries for about the same price as rebuilding both batteries
in the old one. Yeah, I know, crapsman, but I was pleased with mine for
the first 6 or 8 years, until the batteries wouldn't hold a charge
anymore.

I've priced the cells to do the rebuild myself, and I couldn't do it as
cheap as $35, ignoring the fact I don't have a spot welder.

-j

The craftsman will last 3-4 years so then you will have to buy two
craftsmans to get the 6-8 year lifespan of rebuilding your batteries. So
in the long run you will have paid twice and thrown away three drills.
Paul in MN

"RonB" wrote in message
My old Makita 14.4V 6233D cordless drill works fine but both of my

batteries
are near the end of their life. As many of you already know the price of
replacement batteries is obscene.

The closest I have come to "reasonable" is about $45 through several web
sources. Everything local is in the $65 to $80 price range. Does anyone
have experience with a particular supplier or battery brand?

Thanks.
RonB

Just checked this out on Ebay. Doesn't look too bad.

http://stores.ebay.com/Battery-Pack-...Q3amesstQQtZkm

I might give them a try on my 12V and 14.4 V Dewalt packs.

Cheers,

Paul

Comcast Newsgroups

I used Primecell to rebuild my DeWalt 12v batteries 2 years ago and believe
that the rebuilt have had better life between charges than the original
batteries. I have no logged data to prove the difference, just perception
and I will use them again.
Chris

"max" wrote in message
Here is a place that rebuilds batteries and is supposed to do a better job
than the batteries that come from the factory.
Max
http://www.primecell.com/pctools.htm

My old Makita 14.4V 6233D cordless drill works fine but both of my

batteries
are near the end of their life. As many of you already know the price

of
replacement batteries is obscene.

The closest I have come to "reasonable" is about $45 through several web
sources. Everything local is in the $65 to $80 price range. Does

anyone
have experience with a particular supplier or battery brand?

Thanks.
RonB

FYI- I've used Craftsman drills for a long time & have gone thru two
of them. When one of the Sears batteries will no longer charge, I
give the drill & all to one of my sons. The one battery system works
for them. The new battery for the Sears is around $60.-- Anyway, I buy
my drills reconditioned at the Sears outlet/repair station in Sherman,
Texas. The last one I bought was a 19.2V for 52 dollars. Two new
batteries, flashlight, 1/2" chuck on drill and one hour charger in one
of those hard plastic cases. The drill batteries usually last me for
three or so years. There may be a Sears outlet near you.
Phil

Duane Bozarth

As opposed to corded ones???

Barry N. Turner

Try a "Batteries Plus" store, if there is one near you. They rebuilt the
battery (replaced the cells with new ones) for my 9.6 volt Panasonic drill
for half what a new one cost. Works great. Just like a new battery!

Barry