Kyle Boatright

Default Ryobi vs Firestorm

My father in law wants a reciprocating saw for Christmas. His use will be
relatively light duty, and I'm considering either the Ryobi or Firestorm 18v
rechargable models. Any brand preferences between these two?

And, yeah, the DeWalt is nice at twice the price, but is more tool than the
situation warrants.

William Deans

Greetings,

a) If he already owns one name brand then purchase more of the same.
b) Team up with another relative and purchase a "set" with multiple cordless
tools-- they are much cheaper per tool this way and he gets two batteries
c) I am happy with my Ryobi

Hope this helps,
William

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
My father in law wants a reciprocating saw for Christmas. His use will be
relatively light duty, and I'm considering either the Ryobi or Firestorm

18v
rechargable models. Any brand preferences between these two?

And, yeah, the DeWalt is nice at twice the price, but is more tool than

the
situation warrants.

Kyle Boatright

"William Deans" wrote in message
news:1102386493.a104a6e9955bdbda81564128b3187ea3@t eranews...
Greetings,

a) If he already owns one name brand then purchase more of the same.
b) Team up with another relative and purchase a "set" with multiple
cordless
tools-- they are much cheaper per tool this way and he gets two batteries
c) I am happy with my Ryobi

Hope this helps,
William

Good ideas, but A & B are no-go's...

I have a Ryobi 18v recip saw I'm happy with too, but I do want to get a read
on Firestorm. The Lowe's is 20 miles closer to his house than HD, and if
the Firestorm tools are equivalent, I'd get the Firestorm just for his
convenience - for returns or additions to his tool collection.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
My father in law wants a reciprocating saw for Christmas. His use will be
relatively light duty, and I'm considering either the Ryobi or Firestorm
18v rechargable models. Any brand preferences between these two?

And, yeah, the DeWalt is nice at twice the price, but is more tool than
the situation warrants.

Wow, do you buy the Yugo or the Fiat. Tough choice.

Ryobi has a new 18V set of tools and the batteries are only $25 for
replacements. Most times the batteries are the first thing to go and cost
more than the tool did.

Kyle Boatright

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. com...

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
My father in law wants a reciprocating saw for Christmas. His use will
be relatively light duty, and I'm considering either the Ryobi or
Firestorm 18v rechargable models. Any brand preferences between these
two?

And, yeah, the DeWalt is nice at twice the price, but is more tool than
the situation warrants.

Wow, do you buy the Yugo or the Fiat. Tough choice.

Overstating things, I think. While I like nice tools, I can't justify top
of the line equipment for occasional use, and neither can my father in law.
You wouldn't buy a Stratavarius violin unless you were a professional
violinist, and I don't see buying top of the line for a tool that'll get
used a half dozen times a year. Ryobi tools have a place in the world, and
(realistically) that place is in the toolbox of most of us, particularly for
specialty tools. I've got a number of tools (and toys) where I
"overbought", and regret it. My $1,000 Powermatic Tablesaw?? Overkill. For
my use, the $550 Rigid saw would have been fine. My Remington 700 with the
high end scope, stainless barrel, etc? A far better rifle than I am a
marksman. Again, I overbought.

Ryobi has a new 18V set of tools and the batteries are only $25 for
replacements. Most times the batteries are the first thing to go and cost
more than the tool did.

Yep. Also, Homelite batteries are exactly the same as Ryobi. You can fit
your Ryobi battery into a Homelite tool, or vice versa. Surprised me when I
figured that out...

KB

Edwin Pawlowski

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
Wow, do you buy the Yugo or the Fiat. Tough choice.

Overstating things, I think.

Not IMO. I own a couple of Ryobi tools. They don't work any more. But for
a mere $126 I can get it to work as good as the brand new $89 one.

Evan

I'm a big fan of Ryobi. Although on the inexpensive side, Ryobi has
made some really smart decisions when it comes to building tools. It's
the little things that make them so nice, like a magnet on the battery
housing at the bottom of the drill, or the 18v one+ system whereby all
18volt products work with the same battery and best of all the
batteries are cheap to replace. My neighbor bought a Firestorm and
returned it the next day. My advice, go with Ryobi you'll be much
happier.
Evan

Jeff Cochran

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 20:20:55 -0500, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

My father in law wants a reciprocating saw for Christmas. His use will be
relatively light duty, and I'm considering either the Ryobi or Firestorm 18v
rechargable models. Any brand preferences between these two?

I have and use the Ryobi, though 18v recips are under powered for
heavy use. I have a PC Tiger Saw for those jobs though. My bigest use
is with a pruning blade. Decent quick-change blades and easy
controls, decent balance.

Jeff

I have a Ryobi circular saw and the shield gets caught when cutting
thin material (.25 plywood).

Never been a fan of black & decker, but I like dewalt (go figure).
Never had a cordless drill. But my Dewalt AC drill is going on 10
years and I beat that thing like a red-headed stepchild.

The average use may need better tools in have a tenency to abuse them.
Not sure if how I broke the ryobi circular saw, but it isn't very
solid.

c_kubie

Jedd Haas

In article , "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

My father in law wants a reciprocating saw for Christmas. His use will be
relatively light duty, and I'm considering either the Ryobi or Firestorm 18v
rechargable models. Any brand preferences between these two?

Get the Sawzall instead, you won't regret it.

--
Jedd Haas - Artist
http://www.gallerytungsten.com

M akita or RYOBI Phil UK diy 37 March 9th 04 05:47 PM
Ryobi vs DeWalt cordless review Sam Hopkins Woodworking 8 September 11th 03 04:43 PM