Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Update from an old friend

Hey, wood wreckers. I used to hang out with you a lot so I hope it is
OK to drive by with a couple announcements. The first is that I have a
new book and DVD coming out from Taunton Press. Both are called "Basic
Box Making". You can find them on Amazon, but delivery will still be
awhile, maybe March.

The second thing is that some of you may know that I took an interest
in woodworking education in schools and started a program called the
Wisdom of the Hands in September, 2001. We are in our 6th year, and I
have developed a web log (blog) to tell about the adventures and
promote hands-on learning for all children. I know that most of you
know very well the value of working with your hands. If you are like
me, your brains may reside in the same extremities where gloves are
worn on cold mornings. I was also told by a friend that I was probably
reincarnated from a tree. I must have been bad.

The blog address is: http://wisdomofhands.blogspot.com

If any of you want to catch up, my email address is

Best wishes, Joyous Holidays, and Happy New Year.

Doug Stowe
http://dougstowe.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 23 Dec 2006 20:44:12 -0800, "Doug Stowe" wrote:

Hey, wood wreckers. I used to hang out with you a lot so I hope it is
OK to drive by with a couple announcements. The first is that I have a
new book and DVD coming out from Taunton Press. Both are called "Basic
Box Making". You can find them on Amazon, but delivery will still be
awhile, maybe March.

Good luck on both.

The second thing is that some of you may know that I took an interest
in woodworking education in schools and started a program called the
Wisdom of the Hands in September, 2001. We are in our 6th year, and I
have developed a web log (blog) to tell about the adventures and
promote hands-on learning for all children. I know that most of you
know very well the value of working with your hands. If you are like
me, your brains may reside in the same extremities where gloves are
worn on cold mornings.

Hopefully things aren't too cold for you right now in your neck of the
woods.

I was also told by a friend that I was probably
reincarnated from a tree. I must have been bad.

The blog address is: http://wisdomofhands.blogspot.com

If any of you want to catch up, my email address is

Best wishes, Joyous Holidays, and Happy New Year.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Doug Stowe
http://dougstowe.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Stowe wrote:
[...]

As a fan of your books (and your talent) your input is always welcome,
and as of late, sorely missed. I, too, am an advocate of hands-on
learning, teaching woodshop in an urban, just outside LA, setting.
While voc-ed has been on a decline in recent years, as you know, we are
starting to see a resurgence of sorts. While I still have to go to
places like Home Depot and Lowes to beg for donations (supplies like
stains, finishes, etc.) I am starting to see some increases in funding,
with more on the horizon. As a side note, locally the wood program at
my school is doing better than many other programs funding-wise, as my
vice principal is a former student of mine.

Any tips you have to improve our voc-ed programs will always be
appreciated. Always feel free to contact me here on the rec. or by
private e-mail. I have great respect for you and your abilities.

Glen
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Stowe" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey, wood wreckers. I used to hang out with you a lot so I hope it is
OK to drive by with a couple announcements. The first is that I have a
new book and DVD coming out from Taunton Press. Both are called "Basic
Box Making". You can find them on Amazon, but delivery will still be
awhile, maybe March.

And you should work on hanging out here more. I miss your comments.

Merry Christmas.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark, it is nice to see some familiar names in the news group. Makes me
feel at home. It is cold in Arkansas, but that is normal and I like it.

Doug

Posted to rec.woodworking

Any tips you have to improve our voc-ed programs will always be
appreciated. Always feel free to contact me here on the rec. or by
private e-mail. I have great respect for you and your abilities.

Glen

Hi Glen,
I'm glad the politicos are starting to come to a renewed understanding
of the value of woodworking programs in schools. I've read about your
governor and his push for vocational training. It is a pendulum. It
goes this way for a while and then back, but if people don't have an
understanding of learning through their hands, they aren't likely to
ever go back all the way. It must be great to have a former student in
a position of leadership. But we shouldn't have to beg.

These days, the lack of hands-on activities is getting critical for
the younger ones. Young fathers think that by playing first person
shooter games with their sons, they are sharing quality time. But time
in the woodshop would be so much more meaningful and less damaging.

Doug

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi Leon,

You can find my comments on the blog
(http://wisdomofhands.blogspot.com), almost daily, where I don't have
to give so much thought each day to people being rude to each other. It
is funny, that in a group where we have such a strong common interests
that some would choose to chop and hack instead of share. Anyway, I
have very strong memories of the good here as well, and while I don't
have much time to linger, I will be back.

Doug

Leon wrote:
"Doug Stowe" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey, wood wreckers. I used to hang out with you a lot so I hope it is
OK to drive by with a couple announcements. The first is that I have a
new book and DVD coming out from Taunton Press. Both are called "Basic
Box Making". You can find them on Amazon, but delivery will still be
awhile, maybe March.

And you should work on hanging out here more. I miss your comments.

Merry Christmas.

Posted to rec.woodworking

There are woodworkers whose pieces inspire us.

There are authors of woodworking books, videos and DVDs.

There are hands on teachers of woodworking skills and techniques.

And there are people who ascribe to "Be good to each other.
Help when you can. Try and leave the place a little better than
you found it."

Then there's the all too rare combination of all of those
characteristics.

You sir, are definitely one of those rare combinations.

Thank you for demonstrating that it can be done - and maybe
getting some of us to try and follow your example - even
just a little.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlie b wrote:
Kind words snipped.

charlie b

Hey Charlie, It is nice to see you in the rec.
Merry Christmas and holidays of all kinds.
Best wishes in the coming year!

Doug

Posted to rec.woodworking

Theo, I found a can of bright yellow spray paint in my cabinet and
thought of you. It is nice to see you in the rec. Merry Christmas and
Happy New year to you as well!

Doug

J T wrote:
Sat, Dec 23, 2006, 8:44pm (EST-3) (Doug Stowe)
waves and says from the boondocks:
Hey, wood wreckers. I used to hang out with you a lot so I hope it is OK
to drive by snip

Hi ya Doug. Merry season.

JOAT
It's not hard, if you get your mind right.
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com, Doug
Stowe wrote:

[...]

Good to hear from you, Doug!

Blog is bookmarked, and I'm looking forward to the new book.

All the best for 2007, and a very merry Christmas to you and yours.

djb
Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Stowe wrote:

SNIP

These days, the lack of hands-on activities is getting critical for
the younger ones. Young fathers think that by playing first person
shooter games with their sons, they are sharing quality time. But time
in the woodshop would be so much more meaningful and less damaging.

Doug

Again, I have to agree with you.

I have no sons, but I do have a 15 year old daughter. She has been
helping in my home shop since she was about 5. Originally she either
held things together while I clamped, or vice versa. Now she is amazing
in the shop. She scrolls beautifully and turns a mighty fine pen.
Hopefully we will get some shop time in tomorrow. I believe that her
shop time has helped make her an independent and self confident young lady.

She learned to do fractions (add, subtract, multiply) if I recall
correctly at about 6 or 7. My rule was one must be able to read a ruler
to work with wood. It proved to be an inspiration.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Theo, what grit should I sand to before using the latex yellow spray on
my boxes?
I've never done that before and might want to try it. If I can't find
the latex, do you think the stuff I have in the cabinet already would
work?

Doug

J T wrote:
Sun, Dec 24, 2006, 7:34pm (EST-3) (Doug Stowe)
doth sayeth:
Theo, I found a can of bright yellow spray paint in my cabinet snip

I've been trying some of the spray can latex, yellow of course, and
it seems to work at least as well as the regular stuff, even tho a tad
more pricey. Certainly smells better anyway. Should look real nice on
some of your boxes. LMAO Wave when you drive by if you can't stop/.

JOAT
It's not hard, if you get your mind right.
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking

Glen, my daughter and I did the same thing. Aside from the learning
that takes place, the memories of that kind of experience will be
strong for both of us for many years to come.

A ruler is one of the best ways to learn fractions, especially when the
results of your work are dependent on your accuracy. Kids in school are
told to learn and memorize, but they often have no idea why or what use
they will have. I remember being taught to do square roots, but never
knew until recently that the square root describes a physical
relationship and is actually useful for something.

Our schools are designed either by accident or intent to sustain a
society of complaisant consumers (mindless Walmart shoppers). Teachers
are given just enough time to cover content without providing context
for the use of the materials. There is that saying "use it or lose it."
The real phenomenon is that you need to use it or you may never get it
in the first place.

Your daughter is lucky to have a father willing to share his interest
in woodworking.Cooking is another great way to get fractions. I was
noticing that yesterday as I baked pumpkin pies.

Doug

Glen wrote:

I have no sons, but I do have a 15 year old daughter. She has been
helping in my home shop since she was about 5. Originally she either
held things together while I clamped, or vice versa. Now she is amazing
in the shop. She scrolls beautifully and turns a mighty fine pen.
Hopefully we will get some shop time in tomorrow. I believe that her
shop time has helped make her an independent and self confident young lady.

She learned to do fractions (add, subtract, multiply) if I recall
correctly at about 6 or 7. My rule was one must be able to read a ruler
to work with wood. It proved to be an inspiration.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Stowe" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I've been putting Sloyd into practice... My boys, aged 8 and 11
made picture frames to hold their photos for their grandmother's Christmas
gift. When I say made I mean MADE. They used hand tools to cross cut and rip
walnut to rough size; planes to get a straight edge; marking gauge to layout
the next rip; planes for final dimensioning; plane to cut rabbets; back saw
to cut miters; and then a plane to the shoot miters.

It took about 2 1/2 days to make two frames. The boys had a great time and
loved
having the opportunity to use a lot of different hand tools: cross cut panel
saw, rip
panel saw, marking gauge, jointer plane, smooth plane, Stanley 45 plane for
rabbets, L-N cross cut back saw to cut miters, and L-N smooth plane to shoot
miters.

BTW, Grandma was thrilled with the frames and the set of photos showing
their work in progress.

I uploaded some of the photos to ABPW.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

John, you and your boys are amazing. John, the photos are great. Would
you mind if I used a couple on the blog? I'm hoping we can encourage
some other fathers to do the same thing with their sons or daughters.

thanks,

Doug

John Grossbohlin wrote:
"Doug Stowe" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Grossbohlin wrote:
"Doug Stowe" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I just checked them out (on ABPW). I am VERY impressed by all that I saw.

Glen
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Stowe" wrote in message
ups.com...
John, you and your boys are amazing. John, the photos are great. Would
you mind if I used a couple on the blog? I'm hoping we can encourage
some other fathers to do the same thing with their sons or daughters.

thanks,

Doug

Doug,

That would be fine... the older boy is named Jesse and the younger Joshua.
As I've mentioned previously we were VERY frustrated with the public schools
and home schooled the boys for three years before putting them in private
school. It's the norm in our home to learn new things every day!

It would be great if fathers (and mothers) would get REALLY involved with
their kids (vs. taking them to soccer games and watching them play for
example). One problem I see is that many of the fathers that I encounter at
my sons' Scout meetings, school, and elsewhere do not know how to do
anything with their hands. I think we may have already lost a generation and
are on the way to loosing the second... I'd like to stem that trend!

I've got other photos of my boys working with me hanging siding on our house
and scribing sleepers to a concrete floor. If you are interested I could
send you a few of those also. Alternatively I could post them to ABPW. Let
me know if you're interested.

John

John Grossbohlin wrote:
"Doug Stowe" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Mon, Dec 25, 2006, 6:50pm (EST-3) (Doug*Stowe)
doth query:
Theo, what grit should I sand to before using the latex yellow spray on
my boxes?
I've never done that before and might want to try it. If I can't find
the latex, do you think the stuff I have in the cabinet already would
work?

Very technical process, but I'm sure you can handle it. Go from
coarse to fine, of course. Get the coarsest you can find, you know the
type, coarse gravel size. Give it a once over, for that rustic texture.
Then you go direct to the finest grit you can find. No sense in wasting
too much time changine sandpaper needlesly. Hit it a time or two with
that. Wipe the sawdust off, then hit it with the spray can. Latex, or
regular, doesn't really matter, for the market you'll be aiming for.
From what I've seen at some of the flea markets and in the magazines,
two years of these, and you'll be able to retire to Tahaiti, no prob.

Actually, a bit back I redid my .22 "squirrel rifle", again. Wound
up mixing a recipe for rust color, using latex paint, and painted the
stock. 'Speerminting again. Came out quite nice. But I had some paint
left over, and decided to 'speermint again. Thinned the paint way out
with water, and applied it as what I would call a "wash", but went on
like a stain, on a piece of test scrap. Came out very nice,
translucent, and a more pleasing shade. I'll be doing a bit more
experimenting along these same lines, but it seems to be as good, maybe
better, then the stains I've used; certainly less expensive, easy
cleanup, etc. Definitely gives the option of custom colors. You might
want to try it on some scrap and check it out. So far I'm happy with
the results.

JOAT
It's not hard, if you get your mind right.
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking

Theo, I think we are on the same wavelength. I've been doing some
"rustic" boxes using a rotary chisel in a roto-zip to develop the
texture, then lightly sanding with fine paper. On one I used two colors
of milk paint, yellow underlayer, red on top, then sanded lightly
through the overlayer. It just goes to show that in making boxes,
anything goes. You made a good point. Experiment. Don't take my word or
anyone else's word for it, just do it. If it comes out looking like
crap, at least it is your crap, you didn't have to buy it at Walmart,
no one else in their right mind will have one like it, nor will they be
inclined to steal yours.

I feel the milk paint may be a bit more artsy than the spray. That
allows me to charge more for the finished box. I also like it because
you don't have to breath it.

Doug

J T wrote:

Very technical process, but I'm sure you can handle it. Go from
coarse to fine, of course. Get the coarsest you can find, you know the
type, coarse gravel size. Give it a once over, for that rustic texture.
Then you go direct to the finest grit you can find. No sense in wasting
too much time changine sandpaper needlesly. Hit it a time or two with
that. Wipe the sawdust off, then hit it with the spray can. Latex, or
regular, doesn't really matter, for the market you'll be aiming for.
From what I've seen at some of the flea markets and in the magazines,
two years of these, and you'll be able to retire to Tahaiti, no prob.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Thu, Dec 28, 2006, 7:33pm (EST-3) (Doug*Stowe)
doth sayeth:
Theo, I think we are on the same wavelength. I've been doing some
"rustic" boxes using a rotary chisel in a roto-zip to develop the
texture, then lightly sanding with fine paper. On one I used two colors
of milk paint, yellow underlayer, red on top, then sanded lightly
through the overlayer. It just goes to show that in making boxes,
anything goes. You made a good point. Experiment. Don't take my word or
anyone else's word for it, just do it. If it comes out looking like
crap, at least it is your crap, you didn't have to buy it at Walmart, no
one else in their right mind will have one like it, nor will they be
inclined to steal yours.
**I feel the milk paint may be a bit more artsy than the spray. That
allows me to charge more for the finished box. I also like it because
you don't have to breath it.

Uh, Doug, you do know I wasn't serious in that first paragraph,
don't you? And, I don't use spray paint on anything wood. That said, I
think if I wanted to "texture" wood I'd probably try a wire brush in a
drill.

I've not been real thrilled with my milk paint tries. I'll
probably give it another shot some other time tho. But, in the meantime
the thinned latex has been working out nicely - doesn't smell bad
wither. A plus is, if I run out late at night, I can always hit a
Wally-World and get a can. I'm thinking now the thinned latex would
start looking more like paint, rather than stain, if I use multiple
coats. I can think of at least one application were that could be very
handy. It also dries to the touch quickly.

This all started mostly from me wanting to get away from stuff
needing nasty stuff to thin or cleanup. I've been trying thinned (hanf
& half) Titebond II, and some Elmer's, as finish. So far that seems to
be working out quite well, seems to be at least as good as water based
poly - so far. The Elmer's dries clear, and I'd been afraid the
Titebond would dry slsightly yellowish, but it seems to be clear. I
think I'm a bit happier with the Titebond, all considered.

By the way, I've bene happy with my tea stain experiments too.

I tried shoe polish finish some time back. Turtle polish worked
nice, but seems to be off the market now. Kiwi polish was OK, but
seemed to pick up dirt, which the Turtle didn't. Now I just use
Johnson's paste wax.

Experimenting is always fun, at times a bit frustrating, but always
a learning experimence.

Have a happy.

Later.