Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hand Saw care and maintenance

I sharpened my handsaw Tuesday, and now it cuts through the wood rather
than just pulling the wood grain until it breaks. What a difference for an
couple hours work!

I know that's raw metal my file's unearthed. What can I do to keep the
cutting edges in good shape in the future?

Puckdropper
--
A man who has successfully sharpened a cutting tool has not only gained a
sharp tool, he has gained the knowlege of how the tool works.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
I sharpened my handsaw Tuesday, and now it cuts through the wood rather
than just pulling the wood grain until it breaks. What a difference for an
couple hours work!

I know that's raw metal my file's unearthed. What can I do to keep the
cutting edges in good shape in the future?

If you have filed your own handsaw you hardly need any further advice.
I put a thin coat of oil on my saws before I put them into a homeade
cardboard sheath. I keep them in a tool box being sure no other tools
are resting on them. If it gets dull with use then you can re-sharpen
many times.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 20 Dec 2006 07:57:39 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

I sharpened my handsaw Tuesday, and now it cuts through the wood rather
than just pulling the wood grain until it breaks. What a difference for an
couple hours work!

I know that's raw metal my file's unearthed. What can I do to keep the
cutting edges in good shape in the future?

Puckdropper

I've found that using blade guards help. I make my own out of any
hardwood scrap that I have at the moment.
A while back one of the younger guys that does straight finish was
complaining that his rasp gets dull so quickly. I told him mine last
about 3 months of daily use and he could not believe it. At the same
time, I noted that his rasp was in one of the big pockets of his apron
along with a Swanson and some 8d nails.
While that might be the peak of bone headery, we sometimes don't
realize these things on our own.