Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router "sled" for flattening bench top - low friction?

Hi, I've found plenty of info on this, but one thing I haven't seen is
anything about how much friction there is sliding the router sled across the
rails. All the jigs I've seen are wood on wood.

Anyone who's used one of these, is the force it takes to push or pull the
router sled across the rails not really a problem?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith:

I wax the bottom of the sled with paste wax. helps to keep the unit
sliding easily. works great....not much resistance at all.

good lock
Build with Confidence
Mike from American Sycamore

On Dec 16, 12:53 am, "Keith Carlson"
wrote:
Hi, I've found plenty of info on this, but one thing I haven't seen is
anything about how much friction there is sliding the router sled across the
rails. All the jigs I've seen are wood on wood.

Anyone who's used one of these, is the force it takes to push or pull the
router sled across the rails not really a problem?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Keith Carlson" wrote in message
Hi, I've found plenty of info on this, but one thing I haven't seen is
anything about how much friction there is sliding the router sled across
the rails. All the jigs I've seen are wood on wood.

Anyone who's used one of these, is the force it takes to push or pull the
router sled across the rails not really a problem?

I'm _almost_ out of the extra pieces of Formica flooring I use for things
that need to slide, but that's one place I've used it. Makes good fences,
sleds, even made a couple of cutoff jigs for the TS based on it. Time to
re-floor the dining room.

If you don't have something like that, get some of the thick (mil) package
tape they sell at Wally world and use it for slick. Doubt you'll need to
replace it for a small job like a bench top.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Hi, I've found plenty of info on this, but one thing I haven't seen is
anything about how much friction there is sliding the router sled across the
rails. All the jigs I've seen are wood on wood.

Anyone who's used one of these, is the force it takes to push or pull the
router sled across the rails not really a problem?

I use laminate as a slippery surface all the time. Face-to-face it
slides really nice. You can find some in a cabinet shop's bin. Most
guys do a lot of giving this time of year (maybe a 6-pack will help)
and will rip a few strips off for you.
The laminate flooring suggestion is really good too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
Keith:

I wax the bottom of the sled with paste wax. helps to keep the unit
sliding easily. works great....not much resistance at all.

good lock
Build with Confidence
Mike from American Sycamore

Thanks, Mike (and others). I could picture pushing too high on the router,
or having it catch and tip and digging a nice divot out of the top (or
worse - have it bite and go out of control).

Sounds like if I make the surfaces smooth and wax them, no problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I too way gonna comment on the formica. I've senn it at HD, but its as
much as a whole countertop. I only want a few square feet. Where could get
I it; i.e. what about getting smallish pieces. Don't mind paying for it,
but at HD you need to break a hun!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 16, 12:21 pm, "Keith Carlson"
wrote:
"mike" wrote in oglegroups.com...

Keith:

I wax the bottom of the sled with paste wax. helps to keep the unit
sliding easily. works great....not much resistance at all.

good lock
Build with Confidence
Mike from American SycamoreThanks, Mike (and others). I could picture pushing too high on the router,

or having it catch and tip and digging a nice divot out of the top (or
worse - have it bite and go out of control).

If your base is of a bigger diameter than your bit, that cannot
possibly happen.
It can happen if you run your sled off the rails.

Posted to rec.woodworking

It "comes" in 4 x 8 and 5 x 10' sheets as a rule. You didn't indicate if
color or finish were critical to your application (in the post I read) and
if that is correct, wait. I've seen customer returns marked down
significantly at HD & LOWES (customer ordered 005678 and got 015678 leaving
the store with a full sheet they can't return) and often the corners get
dinged waiting for a buyer.

Whatever it's price (should you find one of these), get the department
manager and offer him 25% of the list price for an "in stock" sheet and you
may well get the bargain you need.

They also let you take the pallet wood bits for free - make a sturdy frame
for a router table in my case. Most are roughly two-y's (with a groove for
the strapping) about four foot long. Some of the stuff is really dense
hardwood, most seems to be pine.

They also have a scrap lumber cart with items "priced" by applying a spray
of various colored paint. If you've got a suitable conveyance with you and
see cart chock full of something(s) you can really use - consider getting
the Lumber Dept Mgr and offering him $15 for the lot.

I wound up with tongue and grooved (special order) two by six P.T. lumber
sufficient to serve as the entire floor for a neat little garden shed (looks
like a small house, actually) for $15.

Never hurts to make an offer.
"bent" wrote in message
I too way gonna comment on the formica. I've senn it at HD, but its as
much as a whole countertop. I only want a few square feet. Where could
get I it; i.e. what about getting smallish pieces. Don't mind paying for
it, but at HD you need to break a hun!

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 13:42:24 -0500, bent wrote:

I too way gonna comment on the formica. I've senn it at HD, but its as
much as a whole countertop. I only want a few square feet. Where could
get I it; i.e. what about getting smallish pieces. Don't mind paying
for it, but at HD you need to break a hun!

I dunno what's going on there--HD used to have precut sheets for
reasonable prices, now they don't stock _any_, at least not locally.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate