Posted to rec.woodworking

Default which mortiser to buy??????

I am looking to buy a mortiser for the workshop. The old drill press and
chisel method is getting old. Any sugesstion on which one to buy. I am
looking towards buying a powermatic. Any pros or cons you guys have I look
forward to your replies.

Posted to rec.woodworking

buick 58 wrote:
I am looking to buy a mortiser for the workshop. The old drill press and
chisel method is getting old. Any sugesstion on which one to buy. I am
looking towards buying a powermatic. Any pros or cons you guys have I look
forward to your replies.

If you've got the cash for a Powermatic, go for it - I doubt you'll do
much better than that. Search the archives here for a little more
info. If money is an issue, Amazon and Delta have a deal right now
where you can get the 14-651 (Delta's higher-line mortiser with
cast-iron table etc.) for about $175. Just received mine but haven't
had a chance to play with it yet. I found positive opinions on that
model in the archives here, in Amazon reviews (for those that received
the machine without shipping damage; mine was fine), and it received
top honors in a Workbench magazine review of 8 mid-range models
(Powermatic not included in that review).
http://www.woodnet.net/plansnow/review-mortising.pdf
Another review by American Woodworker is available at
http://tinyurl.com/yc3578, but in that review, 5 of 8 machines tested
received "best buy" awards. The Powermatic Model 719 was mentioned
briefly as an "industrial-quality" machine that "testers loved", but
was apparently out of the league of the rest of their tested benchtop
models.
Now hopefully someone who has a Powermatic will be able to weigh in
with a real review.
If you're looking to burn more money, Lee Valley has premium chisel &
bit sets.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

I just bought the Delta Benchtop Mortiser from Amazon. They have a heck of
a deal with free shipping is $199.00. Actually mine came out to be $186.00.
The deal is still on at this url.

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-14-651-P...6?ie=UTF8&s=hi

"buick 58" wrote in message
I am looking to buy a mortiser for the workshop. The old drill press and
chisel method is getting old. Any sugesstion on which one to buy. I am
looking towards buying a powermatic. Any pros or cons you guys have I look
forward to your replies.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"buick 58" wrote in message
I am looking to buy a mortiser for the workshop. The old drill press and
chisel method is getting old. Any sugesstion on which one to buy. I am
looking towards buying a powermatic. Any pros or cons you guys have I look
forward to your replies.

Powermatic, IMO, is a good way to go. I've had a Delta for years, but if you
go with a Delta, look for the 14-651 ... the lower priced one is not near
the machine from what I've seen of them.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

Here's a side by side with pics and text.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/G...omparison.html

Having an XY table makes aligning the chisel to the layout lines SO MUCH
EASIER

I did all of the M&T joints in Das Bench - the shoulder vise and
twin screw end vise bench based mainly on Frank Klausz's
workbench. Big mortises (10) for the base, lots (48) of
small ones for the intenal drawer guides and in between sized
through mortises (8) for the stretchers, 12 more for the
front and back verticals around the drawers (stiles).
This page and the next one will give you a better idea of
where all these M&T joints were

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/D.../CBbench8.html

charlie b

the prices have gone up about $100 each since I got mine.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
Did you get those DT's cut out?

You bet ... the TDT on the case are all cut, and the fit was much better
than I anticipated thus far. Gotta find some Weldwood today as the glue-up
is going to take a bit more time than two hands and yellow glue will allow.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

buick 58 wrote:
I am looking to buy a mortiser for the workshop. The old drill press and
chisel method is getting old. Any sugesstion on which one to buy. I am
looking towards buying a powermatic. Any pros or cons you guys have I look
forward to your replies.

I compared the Deltas, Shop Fox and Jet when I bought one a couple years
ago. They were all within spitting distance of each other price wise.
I ended up with the Shop Fox. Has more depth and height then Delta and
Jet. Has a horizontal handle which I found made it a LOT easier to use,
and the handle requires no tools to change the angle. The Shop Fox had
the best table and fence of the three at the time, though I see Delta
has improved in that regard. Also has a swivel base so you are not
limited to height at all. It's also a much heavier machine, all cast
iron versus some stamped steel, so not as portable.

I briefly looked at Powermatic, but SWMBO said NO!

Mortiser performance BD Woodworking 9 July 11th 06 10:22 PM
Re Delta Mortiser srazor Woodworking 1 June 3rd 06 02:12 PM
Invest in Mortiser? Dave Nay Woodworking 5 April 6th 06 03:42 AM
Footprint of mortiser W Canaday Woodworking 11 March 27th 06 05:01 AM
Dang, now THAT'S a mortiser! Bruce Adams Woodworking 13 August 13th 05 05:20 AM