Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Delta TP300 planer knife screws -- problems

I have the low end Delta TP300 Shopmaster planer, which has been sold
in various forms for quite some time. It works fine for my meager
needs.

I had to destroy over half the knife locking screws to get the blades
out. Even after removing the blade holders several of the screws were
frozen.

Anyone know if these are sold generically? I dread the idea of having
to order these parts from Delta. They appear to be 8mm hex head cap
screws, but the caps are "domed."

Also, there really isn't any corrosion in the blade holders so I can't
figure out why these screws were so hard to get out. Any ideas?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ps.com...
I have the low end Delta TP300 Shopmaster planer, which has been sold
in various forms for quite some time. It works fine for my meager
needs.

I had to destroy over half the knife locking screws to get the blades
out. Even after removing the blade holders several of the screws were
frozen.

Anyone know if these are sold generically? I dread the idea of having
to order these parts from Delta. They appear to be 8mm hex head cap
screws, but the caps are "domed."

Also, there really isn't any corrosion in the blade holders so I can't
figure out why these screws were so hard to get out. Any ideas?

You can dome the heads by putting them in your drill press or lathe chuck
and using a file. Also, 8 mm. is not an adequate spec.- you also need to
know the pitch in mm. Can't comment on screw tightness,other than pitch from
the wood or threads being deformed by wood hitting the blades . Jim.