Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill

Default Planer knife sharpening angles

After sharpening my planer blades my planer is no longer able to pull the
stock through. I suspect it is because I either have the bevel wrong on the
blades (they are definitely sharp .. I have the bandaids to prove that) or
they now project too far from their holder and are contacting the wood
before the rubber rollers can get a good grip. Either way, expensive wood
now bears a boot load of pock marks from the anti-kickback pawls and I am
using 40 grit to get rid of the acne.

That process, however, leaves a lot to be desired in the parrallel
department.

So ... what angle do I need on the 12.5" HF planer and how high above the
blade carrier should the blades project?

I'm stalled making a baby cradle ... and the baby (grandchild #1) was born
last week!

Hellllp!

Bill

--
We all bring light to the discussion. Some by speaking, others by remaining
silent.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Woodhead

It didn't come with a depth setting jig? Sounds dangerous setting blade
depth to "whatever".

Most of the aftermarket knives have a 45 degree bevel, but mine has a 40
degree primary bevel and 42 degree secondary.
"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeG

"Bill" wrote in message
After sharpening my planer blades my planer is no longer able to pull the
stock through. I suspect it is because I either have the bevel wrong on
the blades (they are definitely sharp .. I have the bandaids to prove
that) or
they now project too far from their holder and are contacting the wood
before the rubber rollers can get a good grip. Either way, expensive wood
now bears a boot load of pock marks from the anti-kickback pawls and I am
using 40 grit to get rid of the acne.

That process, however, leaves a lot to be desired in the parrallel
department.

So ... what angle do I need on the 12.5" HF planer and how high above the
blade carrier should the blades project?

The manual for my DW733 indicates 42 degrees

Mike