Posted to rec.woodworking

Default links needed for compartmentalizing m/c screw lengths

At my home general work area I have plastic tins of fasteners of all types.
When I need something I dump it out into a flat bottomed rectangular bucket.
I can them as multiple sizes of wood screws, machine screws/bolts, nuts,
washers, and
(dozens of) other.

I want to organize each and every one of them into little compartments, so
I'm doing a little work w/ an Excel spreadsheet. Just need a couple of pitch
gages.
I can buy these plastic compartments, or build my own cabinets. I'm trying
to guess how much space
in total I will need, so I build a cabinet(s) of plywood. When it comes
down to it I will need the potential
for a minimum of about 225 compartments. This may only be half or third,
don't know yet, big guess. I now have about fifty. I am not going to sort
first then make compartments, I'm
going to allocate a space for a compartment first, then sort into the
physical space. I also have a problem with buying units that will be
basically unused. there is the other problem of labeling each used
compartment, and labeling will help when trying to find something that can
be used when searching. The least I can do is move around labels telling me
ISO, 1st pref, 2nd pref, JIS, DIN, popular etc. for each. I think I'll need
a mass cabinet, with 1" or 1-1/2" high plywood sides, and sliding innards

http://www.sizes.com/tools/wood_screwtbl.htm . This tells me the head types
(Flat, Round, Oval). It gives possible lengths for these variables. Its
nice b/c it gives popularity too. For me, I started sizing at #4, and went
to #14. I started length at 1/4, and went to 5". When you're gonna have
hundreds of compartments, who's gonna leave out a few. This is 82
compartments. That is with bulking all of the head types together. There
are obviously different materials (steel, SS, brass, etc.) that would have
to be bulked too.

When I'm done I'll posts results

I have done a preliminary search for machine screw standard lengths (metric
and inch) but have so far not been able to find any standard charts similar
to this one for wood screws for machine screws UNC/UNF/UNEF/UNS, ISO
coarse(std) & fine/SI coarse(std) & fine/JIS/DINcoarse(std) & fine. I have
already
covered ALL inch and metric dia and pitch. BUT I do not have any links to
anything to help me with the LENGTHS possible. Anybody got any links?

Its Sunday again

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm actually just itching to build a cabinet and get this out of the way.
I'm sure there are more of you. I guess I can get Machinery's Handbook.

Just for reasonable wood screws sorted by size and length needs (3) 6x5
plastic drawers compartments cabinets a foot wide, 1.5' high, by depth .
Thats a lot of space considering there is the same for inch, then metric m/c
screws. Then nuts, washers, nails, etc. Actually washers will prob. just
get one big drawer to pull out, which can be transported.

But on the other hand, if I were to make a cabinet smaller than the size of
a tool box top chest, say 24" wide, and 16 columns, each 1.5" wide, and 5
rows deep. Thats 80. And five deep is OK for things starting at 1/4" and
going up from there. Or I can keep cans forever.

I am thinking 1/2" plywood sides w/ a groove for a whiteboard bottom,and
slide on a groove to remove ~1-1/2" high trays/drawers.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A CLUE HOW TO IMPLEMENT MOVABLE COMPARTMENT SIDES? Maybe
clear plastic. How to affix these!!??

I know there are alot of you with much greater needs, but I thought I could
post my results with an explanation, and the online resources.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Actually no need for anything but a rabett for the drawer bottoms. That
would just waste space, and if I can get them close enough together, they
can be stackable and prevent things from geting loose and jumping out the
sides.