anon

Default Screw size needed for contiboard shelving?

I'm going to build some shelving inside built in wardrobes and plan to
buy the screws online, what size/type do I need?

many thanks,

anon wrote:
I'm going to build some shelving inside built in wardrobes and plan to
buy the screws online, what size/type do I need?

We need more information!

How are you going to mount the shelves in the wardrobes? I can think
of various methods:-

1 - Crude and simple
Drive screws through holes in the wardrobe sides direct into
the shelves. The disadvantage is that there are screw heads
showing on the outside. Screw size - long enough to go
through the wardrobe and give a reasonable depth into the
shelves, say between 1.5 and 3cm depth.

2 - Better
Put wooden battens inside the wardrobe to rest the shelves on.
Screws need to be just shorter than the thickness of the
batten plus the thickness of the wardrobe side.

3 - Carpenter method (!)
Make slots (there's a proper word for this) in the wardrobe
sides into which the shelvs fit. No need for screws at all
except that the sides may move apart a little and then the
shelves can drop out. (It'll weaken the wardrobe sides,
probably not a good approach if it's chipboard)

4 - Standard 'home assembly' flat pack method.
Get little plastic shelf supports that sit in 1/4" or
thereabouts holes in the sides of the wardrobe and rest the
shelves on these. No need for screws again.

As regards strength of screws, don't worry, any sane sized screw will
be strong enough for this application. Just get them the right length
so they don't stick right through but go deep enough to grip. As
regards diameter I'd go for 4mm (I buy Screwfix metric ones) which in
old 'guage' sizes is around number 8. I find that Screwfix Turbogold
3.5mm and 4mm screws cover just about all my requirements, with a few
5mm ones for really heavy stuff. (I do have some 6x100mm for fences).
The Turbogold ones are also good in that they really don't need pilot
holes in most materials and work OK (as well as any screw will) in
chipboard and MDF.

--
Chris Green
anon

Doh, as I read my message I realised I'd missed out info. i'm
planning to use thise little plastic supports with two holes in one
direction and one in the other. I forget what they're called!

anon wrote:
Doh, as I read my message I realised I'd missed out info. i'm
planning to use thise little plastic supports with two holes in one
direction and one in the other. I forget what they're called!

OK, same sort of approach applies.

You need screws that will go through said little square plastic things
and then as deep as possible into the wardrobe side without any risk
of going right through.

I've used them quite a bit and, if I remember right, I used 3.5mm x
25mm screws for fixing to 18mm contiboard. I have some 4mm x 25mm as
well which are useful if the 3.5mm ones pull out.

Mount the blocks so there are two screws in the wardrobe sides.

Do a test first somewhere that doesn't matter to check that the screws
*don't* go right through.

--
Chris Green
N. Thornton

anon wrote in message . ..
I'm going to build some shelving inside built in wardrobes and plan to
buy the screws online, what size/type do I need?

chipboard is real weak stuff, thin screws tear it easily. The fatter
the screws you can use the stronger with chip.

Regards, NT

stuart noble

N. Thornton wrote in message ...
anon wrote in message

. ..
I'm going to build some shelving inside built in wardrobes and plan to
buy the screws online, what size/type do I need?

chipboard is real weak stuff, thin screws tear it easily. The fatter
the screws you can use the stronger with chip.

Screwfix carcass screws are ideal for chip. They really do go an inch into
the end grain without distortion.

N. Thornton wrote:
anon wrote in message . ..
I'm going to build some shelving inside built in wardrobes and plan to
buy the screws online, what size/type do I need?

chipboard is real weak stuff, thin screws tear it easily. The fatter
the screws you can use the stronger with chip.

More to the point you need parallel sided screws and ones with a deep
thread, old fashioned plain steel woodscrews really don't work well in
chipboard.

--
Chris Green