Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default SURVEY: Material stops, push feeders and measuring machines on your saws

Fellow lurkers/posters,

I'm hoping to get a little constructive feedback on our new product line via
a survey.

It's an HTML survey with 12 questions, should take about 5 minutes of your
time. In thanks I'd be happy to send you some free swag in return for your
survey.

Email me if you have any questions/problems with the link. The key word
here is constructive...be nice, no flames please!

http://survey.accucutgold.com

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

--Been there, done that. The survey needs work; specifically you
need to include a 'does not apply' button to some of the questions. Oh, and
you should post it to one of the manufacturing groups instead of a "rec"
group where a device like this is really overkill.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Egads I'm becoming
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : a Woot-aholic!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"steamer" wrote in message
--Been there, done that. The survey needs work; specifically you
need to include a 'does not apply' button to some of the questions. Oh,

and
you should post it to one of the manufacturing groups instead of a "rec"
group where a device like this is really overkill.

Agreed,some questions don't make sense. e.g. If I haven't seen the website,
how can I rate it's useability?
AFAIK most of us here do woodwork for fun, some are commercially driven but
still enjoy doing one offs and hand done things, I suspect few would be
interested in computerising dozens of cuts.

Mekon

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Bob is offline

Why should I be required to give you my email address to take your
survey?

No thanks.

Bob

On Dec 8, 4:27 pm, "Epictitus" wrote:
Fellow lurkers/posters,

I'm hoping to get a little constructive feedback on our new product line via
a survey.

It's an HTML survey with 12 questions, should take about 5 minutes of your
time. In thanks I'd be happy to send you some free swag in return for your
survey.

Email me if you have any questions/problems with the link. The key word
here is constructive...be nice, no flames please!

http://survey.accucutgold.com

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi everyone, thanks for the comments.

To answer your question Bob, you don't "have to" give your email address to
fill out the survey - use my email if you want to be anonymous. Better yet
put in the newsgroup name.

Ed commented about overkill on the rec. groups -- which ones would you
recommend??? I read this group as people "actually" post here! I also
cross posted to the metalworking group as I know the same guys also tend to
follow the cnc and welding groups.

As for the comment of being "too much" for the hobby user, I personally use
one in my home shop on my mitre saw. (One of the benefits of working here
is getting a demo unit at cost ;-))The pusher and infeed roller table is
integrated into the saw stand and the whole thing is on wheels - when I'm
not using it I can easily park it in the corner of my shop out of the way.
If you are interested let me know and I'll post some pics.

I love using it and wouldn't go back to the old fence and tape measure. The
thing I love is I can let the ACCUCUT GOLD do the math for me and not worry
about kerf etc., especially with mitre cuts. I can key in 24.75-11/32+4*1/2
and the unit goes to 24.406". Change to a 30 degree mitre and the stop
automatically compensates for me.

I built my cedar gazebo using it - lots of repetitive cuts, mitres, etc. -
way faster and super accurate.

Think of using a finishing air nailer for the first time - did you want to
"The Woodright's Shop" but I'd rather have Norm's shop with all the toys.

"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...
Why should I be required to give you my email address to take your
survey?

No thanks.

Bob

On Dec 8, 4:27 pm, "Epictitus" wrote:
Fellow lurkers/posters,

I'm hoping to get a little constructive feedback on our new product line
via
a survey.

It's an HTML survey with 12 questions, should take about 5 minutes of
your
time. In thanks I'd be happy to send you some free swag in return for
your
survey.

Email me if you have any questions/problems with the link. The key word
here is constructive...be nice, no flames please!

http://survey.accucutgold.com

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

Epictitus (in ) said:

| Hi everyone, thanks for the comments.

Hmm. I followed the link. Page took forever to load (understandable
given the number of hits it was probably getting), took over four
minutes for my poor crippled Win/ME to juggle everything around
between RAM and swap space and rewarded me with a visually jarring
(non-informative) ad and a scrollable window with requests for info -
some of which applied to my operations and some that did not.

I went through and provided all the information I could meaningfully
supply - and the silly thing insisted I give it /all/ the answers it
wanted even though they couldn't possibly be meaningful. I said (right
out loud): "Up yours, you time waster!" and killed the IE window.

I was able to make /some/ inferences about the product from the
questions; but was so ticked off by the "rudeness" of the survey that
I walked away without further exploring the web site to learn anything
about a product that might be useful to me - with the thought that if
the survey was any indication of the level of focus that /prospective/
customers got, what could one possibly hope for /after/ making a
purchase?

Suggestion: write surveys in plain HTML and allow people to provide
only the answers they think are meaningful for them. If I'm required
to provide BS replies, then it's clear to me that the survey isn't
about acquiring real responses. It's either about acquiring some other
kind of information or just plain wasting time.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Wow, one Noisy Web Site - Most Annoying!

If you only have one product, why not feature it on your Web Page - KISS

And Kill that noise! Geeze! Are you deef?

"Epictitus" wrote in message
Fellow lurkers/posters,

I'm hoping to get a little constructive feedback on our new product line
via a survey.

It's an HTML survey with 12 questions, should take about 5 minutes of your
time. In thanks I'd be happy to send you some free swag in return for
your survey.

Email me if you have any questions/problems with the link. The key word
here is constructive...be nice, no flames please!

http://survey.accucutgold.com

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just make up a name, use NetZero Private Phone for that. Postman loves
unique names and, when they call or mail, you can track whence it
originated. Saves openingthe junk mail!

As Always,

I.P. Daily

"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...
Why should I be required to give you my email address to take your
survey?

No thanks.

Bob

On Dec 8, 4:27 pm, "Epictitus" wrote:
Fellow lurkers/posters,

I'm hoping to get a little constructive feedback on our new product line
via
a survey.

It's an HTML survey with 12 questions, should take about 5 minutes of
your
time. In thanks I'd be happy to send you some free swag in return for
your
survey.

Email me if you have any questions/problems with the link. The key word
here is constructive...be nice, no flames please!

http://survey.accucutgold.com

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

I had an idea for a feature that would be cool for the actual product:
programmable cutter comp/kerf correction. IE be able to enter the
width of the blade and have the machine add it to each measurement,
etc.
ww88

Epictitus wrote:
Fellow lurkers/posters,

I'm hoping to get a little constructive feedback on our new product line via
a survey.

It's an HTML survey with 12 questions, should take about 5 minutes of your
time. In thanks I'd be happy to send you some free swag in return for your
survey.

Email me if you have any questions/problems with the link. The key word
here is constructive...be nice, no flames please!

http://survey.accucutgold.com

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Here's my favourite line on money .... "Did I tell you I'm working on my
second million? The first one was too hard so I gave up and started on the
second..."

"woodworker88" wrote in message
s.com...
Cool
It would be a great tool if money wasn't an issue.

Epictitus wrote:
Hey Woodworker88, kerf compensation is built in along with mitre
compensation. You can preset multiple origins and kerf width, etc. - set
it
once and forget it.

Thanks for all the replies. The survey is on an external survey web host
and it seems to be bogging down at times. We were also limited to the
types
of questions we could ask i.e. couldn't ask open ended questions. We're
adding an HTML based website to allow visitors to choose either the Flash
or
HTML website.

Mike

"woodworker88" wrote in message
ups.com...
I had an idea for a feature that would be cool for the actual product:
programmable cutter comp/kerf correction. IE be able to enter the
width of the blade and have the machine add it to each measurement,
etc.
ww88

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"woodworker88" wrote in message
ups.com...
I had an idea for a feature that would be cool for the actual product:
programmable cutter comp/kerf correction. IE be able to enter the
width of the blade and have the machine add it to each measurement,
etc.
ww88

Huh? Most all optimization programs include this feature however why would
you need for a machine to consider the width if its kerf. It only has to
measure to the good side edge of the blade from its reference point.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

"woodworker88" wrote in message
ups.com...
I had an idea for a feature that would be cool for the actual product:
programmable cutter comp/kerf correction. IE be able to enter the
width of the blade and have the machine add it to each measurement,
etc.
ww88

Huh? Most all optimization programs include this feature however why
would you need for a machine to consider the width if its kerf. It only
has to measure to the good side edge of the blade from its reference
point.

Leon, do you know of any GNU or freeware vector optimizers? One of my
vendors has a (his words) "top of the line" CAD system for drawing his NC
router layouts. The damn thing sends the cutter all over the board.

It would save him hours of cut time if he could find a nice vector-sort
algorithm on the cheap.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh (in )
said:

| Leon, do you know of any GNU or freeware vector optimizers? One of
| my vendors has a (his words) "top of the line" CAD system for
| drawing his NC router layouts. The damn thing sends the cutter all
| over the board.
|
| It would save him hours of cut time if he could find a nice
| vector-sort algorithm on the cheap.

I wrote a critter like that to clean up my ShopBot toolpaths. If he
can't find a free/cheap solution, invite him to e-mail me directly.
It's not as simple as a sort, since separate cuts with common
end-points need to be combined or seamlessly spliced in three
dimensions.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"woodworker88" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yeah, but if you are making multiple cuts from a piece of stock, you
need to take into account each cut.

That is not a problem for the machine as the width of the kerf is already
gone and does not have to be considered.
This does come in to account when the software is optimizing the cuts from a
board and I do not know of any soft ware program that does not take into
consideration the waste lost by the cut.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Morris, thanks. I'll forward this post to him
LLoyd

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh (in )
said:

| Leon, do you know of any GNU or freeware vector optimizers? One of

I wrote a critter like that to clean up my ShopBot toolpaths. If he
can't find a free/cheap solution, invite him to e-mail me directly.
It's not as simple as a sort, since separate cuts with common
end-points need to be combined or seamlessly spliced in three
dimensions.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
et...

"woodworker88" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yeah, but if you are making multiple cuts from a piece of stock, you
need to take into account each cut.

That is not a problem for the machine as the width of the kerf is already
gone and does not have to be considered.
This does come in to account when the software is optimizing the cuts from
a board and I do not know of any soft ware program that does not take into
consideration the waste lost by the cut.

Hi Leon,

Using Kerf allows you to push feed your stock. Your stock is between the
pusher and blade and the finished part is pushed 'past' the blade to the
exact length required. The system acts as a stock 'feeder' in this case and
kerf is required whether you use the optimizer or not.

As an example, you can enter a list of measurements (your cutlist), enter
your stock length (i.e. 12 foot length of board), and the Optimizer will
sort your list to give you the highest yield (minimum scrap) per board.
Each time you index to the next cut the kerf is added automatically to give
you the perfect length.

If you use the system as a digital stop then kerf isn't needed as the
finished part is between the blade and the pusher (stop).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Epictitus" wrote in message

Hi Leon,

Using Kerf allows you to push feed your stock. Your stock is between the
pusher and blade and the finished part is pushed 'past' the blade to the
exact length required. The system acts as a stock 'feeder' in this case
and kerf is required whether you use the optimizer or not.

As an example, you can enter a list of measurements (your cutlist), enter
your stock length (i.e. 12 foot length of board), and the Optimizer will
sort your list to give you the highest yield (minimum scrap) per board.
Each time you index to the next cut the kerf is added automatically to
give you the perfect length.

If you use the system as a digital stop then kerf isn't needed as the
finished part is between the blade and the pusher (stop).

I gotcha now. I was visioning the pusher sliding the board to the stop and
the stop determining the exact length. If the finished board is not between
the blade and the stop I can see how the kerf allowance would be important.