Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Advice on plywood tearout...

Can you guys give me some advice on how to best avoid tearout on edges
of hardwood ply. Blade recommendations (circular saw), technique,
tricks, etc. Thanks! Sorry for all the noob questions lately! Anyone
herte live in the Asheville, NC area? Peter

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
Can you guys give me some advice on how to best avoid tearout on edges
of hardwood ply. Blade recommendations (circular saw), technique,
tricks, etc. Thanks! Sorry for all the noob questions lately! Anyone
herte live in the Asheville, NC area? Peter

Are you going to cut a lot? Festool has a circle saw and blade that does
not tear out on top of bottom when using its guide bar. I would not have
believed that had I not seen it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8 Dec 2006 12:17:33 -0800, "
wrote:

Can you guys give me some advice on how to best avoid tearout on edges
of hardwood ply. Blade recommendations (circular saw), technique,
tricks, etc. Thanks! Sorry for all the noob questions lately! Anyone
herte live in the Asheville, NC area? Peter

* Use a hollow ground veneer/plywood blade
* Cut from the backside of the sheet (I find this to be the best
method/tip and it leaves a near perfect edge)
* Cover the entire cut line with a piece of scrap ply or other thin
material
*Cover the cut line with tape
* Do not feed to fast

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Can you guys give me some advice on how to best avoid tearout on edges
of hardwood ply. Blade recommendations (circular saw), technique,
tricks, etc. Thanks! Sorry for all the noob questions lately! Anyone
herte live in the Asheville, NC area? Peter

As Joe indicated, one general rule of thumb is to try cutting plywood with
the good side down when using a circular saw, and the good side up with a
table saw.

May not totally solve the problem, but doing so, along with other
suggestions like an appropriate/sharp blade, will definitely give you a
better chance of success

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
Can you guys give me some advice on how to best avoid tearout on edges
of hardwood ply. Blade recommendations (circular saw), technique,
tricks, etc. Thanks! Sorry for all the noob questions lately! Anyone
herte live in the Asheville, NC area? Peter

Thought I'd never say it, but a few years back I bought a Bosch jigsaw to
replace my 30 yr C'man, and now it's my choice. With the "progressor"
blades and one of those clamp-on fences, it's incredible. You can even cut
lauan with minimum splinter.

Just bought the eldest one for Christmas. SiL gets a PC speedbloc. I still
get to buy tools with a full shop this way.

Posted to rec.woodworking

To get minimum tearout with my circular saw I put a piece of 3/8 plywood on
the base of the saw with a hole large enough for the guard to operate
through it but with an area just ahead of the guard that I plunge cut a slot
only the width of the saw blade after mounting the wood to the base of the
saw. It becomes sort of a zero clearence insert that holds the plywood cut
edges down as the saw teeth cut up through the board. I also use a thin kerf
high tooth count plywood blade like the other posters are suggesting. It
works great for minimizing (nearly eliminating) tearout, but it restricts
the view of the cut line at the point of cut. I've considered making a new
one out of clear lexan so I could see the cut line better, but the the wood
version has done the job for long straight cuts using a guide and that's all
that I've been doing so it hasn't mattered much. My shop is small, so I
precut sheets to workable sizes on sawhorses in the driveway.

I'm a few hours drive from you, just North of Charlotte.

--
Charley

wrote in message
ups.com...
Can you guys give me some advice on how to best avoid tearout on edges
of hardwood ply. Blade recommendations (circular saw), technique,
tricks, etc. Thanks! Sorry for all the noob questions lately! Anyone
herte live in the Asheville, NC area? Peter

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Thanks for all the help guys!
Charley wrote:
[...]

wrote in message
ups.com...
Can you guys give me some advice on how to best avoid tearout on
edges of hardwood ply. Blade recommendations (circular saw),
technique, tricks, etc. Thanks! Sorry for all the noob questions
lately! Anyone herte live in the Asheville, NC area? Peter

very fine triple chip blade will reduce splinter out to almost zero

mark your line with a craft knife

cut your ply from the back

When using power saws go slowly

Cutting plywood panels flush, advice please Lionel Woodworking 7 January 24th 06 05:01 PM
Tearout using planer on birch my Woodworking 5 August 17th 05 03:49 PM
Cutback on plywood and new vinyl tile, need advice. statepenn99 Home Repair 1 March 12th 05 05:56 PM
Advice on plywood edge T Woodworking 16 February 14th 05 05:37 AM
fixing a tearout divot C & S Woodworking 8 December 18th 04 05:52 PM