Posted to rec.woodworking
Lou Lou is offline

Default Making band risers

Has anyone had any kind of experience building band risers?
I've put some together over the years for a couple of different
companies
and have always be suprised of how easy they seem to be. I'm
considering
making some for the local school but can't seem to find any kind of
print to get
an idea. Has anyone tried this in the past?
Lou

Posted to rec.woodworking

Wilson wrote:
It's a monstrous liability potential that will never go away!
I wouldn't do it!

How would it be any different from a liability standpoint than building
new basement stairs, or a raised deck? What about a bookcase (that
could fall on someone)?

I'm curious how people decide what is sufficiently risky to not want to
do it.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

Stairwise, you have codes, inspections, and light loads, although I once saw
about 30 people on a stairway for a picture.
With the band thing, you probably don't have stamped professional
engineering, or inspection.
You do have large numbers of boistrous individuals, probably no periodic
inspection, and twice that many loving parents anxious to sue your ass if
their little dear trips and breaks one of her gorgeous lily whites or, good
heavens, if the thing collapses and there are broken bones!
Doesn't seem worth the hassle to me, but if I had to do it, I'd get the
owner to hire me to build it to "their" plans, with an engineer's stamp AND
the engineer's inspection report that it was, indeed, built as designed.
WL
"Chris Friesen" wrote in message
Wilson wrote:
It's a monstrous liability potential that will never go away!
I wouldn't do it!

How would it be any different from a liability standpoint than building
new basement stairs, or a raised deck? What about a bookcase (that could
fall on someone)?

I'm curious how people decide what is sufficiently risky to not want to do
it.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Friesen wrote:

Wilson wrote:

It's a monstrous liability potential that will never go away!
I wouldn't do it!

How would it be any different from a liability standpoint than building
new basement stairs, or a raised deck? What about a bookcase (that
could fall on someone)?

I'm curious how people decide what is sufficiently risky to not want to
do it.

Chris

If I think that there is going to be any risk of lawsuits in
the future, I just sign or label the work with someone elses'
name. You can make one up that sounds real official. I like;
Invisible, Inc.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lou Lou is offline

Although a very good point, I'm thinking that the highest anyone would
have to fall would
be 24" if 4 sections where built at 6" increments. As for the
liability, I'm considering opening
a small corporation with insurance to take care of that side of it. It
seems that the companies that do this proffesionally charge 10 times
what these peices should cost just because it's taxpayer money. If the
company it going to charge $50,000 for a dozen 4x8 platforms that I
know I can build in a week, then maybe it's worth starting a small
business for local schools.
Lou

Posted to rec.woodworking

Wilson wrote:
Stairwise, you have codes, inspections, and light loads, although I once saw
about 30 people on a stairway for a picture.
With the band thing, you probably don't have stamped professional
engineering, or inspection.
You do have large numbers of boistrous individuals, probably no periodic
inspection, and twice that many loving parents anxious to sue your ass if
their little dear trips and breaks one of her gorgeous lily whites or, good
heavens, if the thing collapses and there are broken bones!
Doesn't seem worth the hassle to me, but if I had to do it, I'd get the
owner to hire me to build it to "their" plans, with an engineer's stamp AND
the engineer's inspection report that it was, indeed, built as designed.
WL
"Chris Friesen" wrote in message

Damn good advice! Government institutions have lawyers who sue.
Everyone else is charging more for this very reason.

Cover your ass.

Septic tank risers Al Bundy Home Repair 0 August 19th 06 06:15 AM
Septic tank risers jake Home Repair 1 August 19th 06 05:39 AM
Bed Risers [email protected] Home Ownership 2 May 26th 06 02:27 PM
Manhole Risers Joe Home Repair 3 September 14th 05 06:50 PM
Staircase risers sam UK diy 5 June 29th 05 10:19 AM