Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Septic tank risers

"jake" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
Hi,

Had my septic tank pumped yesterday. Told that I was required to
install (Connecticut) a riser because the access to the tank was 16"
deep so I had him do this.

The question I have is that the tank access lid is now only about 6 to
8 inches below and I wonder if this will present a risk of freezing
in winter to the inlet pipe. Also, I do now know why but he put the
riser on the inlet baffle access instead of the main tank access and
he pumped from that area as well The previous two times I had it
pumped it was done from the main access.

Does this all see ok, or should I dig it all up myself since it's easy
to get to now and replace it with dirt as it was?

Thanks a lot,
Steve

No, there is no risk of freezing. Septic activity produces enough heat
to keep tank warm. I don't know what an inlet baffle is, but pumping
is done from an access that opens directly to the septic tank.

You should never pump from the inlet baffle (what I'm assuming you are
calling the inspection port). You can damage the port doing that and it
won't get everything anyway. Sounds like the guy who pumped your tank
wasn't knowledgable.

There are two areas of the septic tank, the main tank, and a secondary tank
separated by a high wall. The secondary tank captures the stuff that flows
over the wall when too much water is pushed into the tank all at once. It's
a way of preventing the fecal matter and TP from getting into your
distribution box. My guess is that he pumped from the inspection port, but
it's also possible he pumped from the primary tank (a good thing) but not
from the overflow area.