Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Chisels for tropical hardwoods?

Can anyone recommend reasonably priced chisels( say around $100-150 for
a set of six) that are tough enough to hold up to tropical hardwoods?
I have a set of Marples Blue Chip which I always thought were fairly
decent chisels and a good value. Recently I was trying to make some
cross grain cuts in some jatoba. The cut was a heavy paring cut and I
was using a deadblow mallet to hasten it along. I was very chagrined to
discover that I actually chipped the steel on the chisel. Is possible
that my chisels are defective? Am I asking too much of the Marples? In
either case I definitely need new chisels to cut the very obstinate
jatoba. Any recommendations from users who have actually used chisels
that can cut wood like this?

Paul

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lincoln Terns" wrote...

Can anyone recommend reasonably priced chisels( say around $100-150 for
a set of six) that are tough enough to hold up to tropical hardwoods?

[...]

The Marples morticing chisels are beefier than standard chisels and might do
the trick. You could also try regrinding your chisels to 35 or maybe even
40 degrees. That's really a better angle for mortising than for paring, but
if the wood is that hard it could help keep the edges from chipping.

Moonstone Plovers
www.tjwoodworking.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:
If the steel chips before dulling, you need a steeper angle.

Doh! ( dope slap to forehead) Thanks for all of the quick responses
pointing out the obvious and completely overlooked solution. I will
regrind and take another whack at the wood.