Posted to rec.woodworking
Never Enough Money Never Enough Money is offline

Default Chisels for tropical hardwoods?

I recommend you spend a little more and get the Lie-Nilesen chisels.

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?cat=521

Lincoln Terns wrote:
Can anyone recommend reasonably priced chisels( say around $100-150 for
a set of six) that are tough enough to hold up to tropical hardwoods?
I have a set of Marples Blue Chip which I always thought were fairly
decent chisels and a good value. Recently I was trying to make some
cross grain cuts in some jatoba. The cut was a heavy paring cut and I
was using a deadblow mallet to hasten it along. I was very chagrined to
discover that I actually chipped the steel on the chisel. Is possible
that my chisels are defective? Am I asking too much of the Marples? In
either case I definitely need new chisels to cut the very obstinate
jatoba. Any recommendations from users who have actually used chisels
that can cut wood like this?

Paul