Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 4 places, 4 woods -- help me find....

I want to build a scotch cabinet and use woods from the 4 places I've
lived:

-- persimmon from western South Carolina
-- eucalyptus from Southern California
-- aspen from Colorado
-- Osage orange from Texas

Note: Osage orange is also known as hedge apple, bodark, bois d'arc,
and bowwood.

Since I currently live in Colorado, I can find aspen. I need your help
on the other three. Where can I order them?

BTW, maybe mesquite is a better choice for Texas....
Also, maybe there's a better choice for southern California, too. Any
suggestions?

Posted to rec.woodworking

just use mdf

Posted to rec.woodworking

or plywood. use nails and a can a paint..

Posted to rec.woodworking

Never Enough Money:

Since I currently live in Colorado, I can find aspen. I need your help
on the other three. Where can I order them?

Woodfinder.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to build a scotch cabinet and use woods from the 4 places I've
lived:

-- persimmon from western South Carolina
-- eucalyptus from Southern California
-- aspen from Colorado
-- Osage orange from Texas

(snip)

Perhaps there is a better choice for Southern California, it is hard to
imagine that all that state can come up with is an Aussie tree.

Mekon

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mekon wrote:

Perhaps there is a better choice for Southern California, it is hard to
imagine that all that state can come up with is an Aussie tree.

Those Aussie trees are all over the place and the roots are screwing
up the sewers, sidewalks, streets, etc worse than a soft Maple or a
weeping willow.

People start to bitch when the street crews go down the streets
cutting them down, but they have little choice.

Native California trees include the giant redwood.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...
Mekon wrote:

Perhaps there is a better choice for Southern California, it is hard to
imagine that all that state can come up with is an Aussie tree.

Those Aussie trees are all over the place and the roots are screwing
up the sewers, sidewalks, streets, etc worse than a soft Maple or a
weeping willow.

Yeah, and they exude a poison from their roots which reduces the viability
of plants that would otherwise be competition for Australia's poor shallow
soil and low water.

They don't belong there.

Mekon

Posted to rec.woodworking

Never Enough Money wrote:
I want to build a scotch cabinet and use woods from the 4 places I've
lived:

-- persimmon from western South Carolina
-- eucalyptus from Southern California
-- aspen from Colorado
-- Osage orange from Texas

Note: Osage orange is also known as hedge apple, bodark, bois d'arc,
and bowwood.

Since I currently live in Colorado, I can find aspen. I need your help
on the other three. Where can I order them?

BTW, maybe mesquite is a better choice for Texas....
Also, maybe there's a better choice for southern California, too. Any
suggestions?

Trees native to California that you might consider:

1) Madrone - I don't know much about this one, but I found some burl
pieces on Ebay: Take a look as Ebay Item # 330055240032
2) Coast Redwood. Redwood burls and pieces with dramatic curly figure
are available. Beautiful stuff! Take a look as Ebay Item # 120057930183
3) California Laurel AKA Bay Laurel- can have some pretty dramatic
figure - curly or burl. If it comes from Oregon it's called Oregon
Myrtle, but it's the same tree. Take a look as Ebay Item # 330055702967
4) Claro Walnut - comes mostly from hybrid trees that are found in the
walnut orchards that you find all over the Central Valley in California.
Beautiful stuff! Take a look as Ebay Item # 150064590526

Good luck!

--Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote in news:tDvbh.5106$tM1.2963
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

snip

Native California trees include the giant redwood.

Lew

In SoCal? Thought those stopped at the Tehacapi Range.

Maybe something in a native oak? Nice and gnarly...

Patriarch,
near San Francisco...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to build a scotch cabinet and use woods from the 4 places I've
lived:

I have been thinking about building a Scotch cabinet too, the colour of the
scotch is so beautiful I was thinking of making the back out of opaque white
perspex and lighting from behind, so a soft even light would pass through
the whiskey and show the colour off to its best.

Mekon

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve wrote:
Never Enough Money wrote:
I want to build a scotch cabinet and use woods from the 4 places I've
lived:

-- persimmon from western South Carolina
-- eucalyptus from Southern California
-- aspen from Colorado
-- Osage orange from Texas

Note: Osage orange is also known as hedge apple, bodark, bois d'arc,
and bowwood.

And it is more common than mesquite.

[...]

California live oak too.

If orchard woods are acceptible, maybe you could find Almond.
The almond wood I saw in California had gorgeous chatoyance.
Unfortunately, it was already firewood.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

Never Enough Money wrote:

I want to build a scotch cabinet and use woods from the 4 places I've
lived:

-- eucalyptus from Southern California

SNIP

You could use any wood from either a fruit tree or a nut tree.

Glen
Posted to rec.woodworking

Never Enough Money wrote:

BTW, maybe mesquite is a better choice for Texas....

I've Never used any of these vendors myself, but I saw all of them
mentioned here in the wreck at one time or another:

http://www.texaswoodcrafts.net/
http://www.texaskilnproducts.com/txkiln1.html
http://www.mgsawmill.com/product.htm

If you use one of them, I'd be curious to know about your experiences
as I'd like to order some Mesquite and possibly some of the other
types of wood.

remove ".invalid".
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mekon" writes:

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
roups.com...
I want to build a scotch cabinet and use woods from the 4 places I've
lived:

-- persimmon from western South Carolina
-- eucalyptus from Southern California
-- aspen from Colorado
-- Osage orange from Texas

(snip)

Perhaps there is a better choice for Southern California, it is hard to
imagine that all that state can come up with is an Aussie tree.

Mekon

Live Oak, Madrone, Sweet Gum, etc.

scott