RichK

Default Any used appliance parts places

Hi All,

I'm pretty sure my refrigerator thermostat is gone. It's a fairly
popular GE part WR9X411.

Most places on the net are over $60 and some over $80. Sears is the
lowest at $42, but shipping and tax add $13.

Are there any places that sell used, but working appliance parts, such
as thermostats? I know it's a gamble, but at $60+ I'm willing to take
a chance. TIA

Rich

Dan C

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:49:14 -0400, RichK wrote:

Are there any places that sell used, but working appliance parts, such
as thermostats? I know it's a gamble, but at $60+ I'm willing to take
a chance. TIA

Sure, there's some. Check your local Yellow Pages. Duh.

Linux Registered User #327951

RichK

"Dan C" wrote in message

Are there any places that sell used, but working appliance parts,

such
as thermostats? I know it's a gamble, but at $60+ I'm willing to

take
a chance. TIA

Sure, there's some. Check your local Yellow Pages. Duh.

I sure did, before I posted. None turned up. Plenty of people fix
them, a few sell new parts, but none were selling used. Guess it
would have to be someone living near an appliance junk yard, salvaging
the most useful stuff.

Rich

PipeDown

"RichK" wrote in message

"Dan C" wrote in message

Are there any places that sell used, but working appliance parts,

such
as thermostats? I know it's a gamble, but at $60+ I'm willing to

take
a chance. TIA

Sure, there's some. Check your local Yellow Pages. Duh.

I sure did, before I posted. None turned up. Plenty of people fix
them, a few sell new parts, but none were selling used. Guess it
would have to be someone living near an appliance junk yard, salvaging
the most useful stuff.

Rich

Try calling a few smaller appliance stores and ask them to look out for one
on the way to the dump. Many companies will remove your old appliance whan
they deliver as a convenience to the customer. These units usually go
straight to the dump without being canibalized first. If the part really is
common to multiple models, it may not be long before someone is junking
theirs for a new one.

Sears and Best Buy may not want to hastle with you but a small mom and pop
store might do it to "get you by until you can afford a new fridge" from
them because of the good will they spread.

Colbyt

"RichK" wrote in message
Hi All,

I'm pretty sure my refrigerator thermostat is gone. It's a fairly
popular GE part WR9X411.

Most places on the net are over $60 and some over $80. Sears is the
lowest at $42, but shipping and tax add $13.

Are there any places that sell used, but working appliance parts, such
as thermostats? I know it's a gamble, but at $60+ I'm willing to take
a chance. TIA

Rich

You might try to find a supplier that sells "universal or generic" parts.
Last time I bought a cold control it was about $30. Wouldn't waste my time
with a used part.

Colbyt

Dr. Hardcrab

"RichK" wrote in message
Hi All,

I'm pretty sure my refrigerator thermostat is gone. It's a fairly
popular GE part WR9X411.

Most places on the net are over $60 and some over $80. Sears is the
lowest at $42, but shipping and tax add $13.

Are there any places that sell used, but working appliance parts, such
as thermostats? I know it's a gamble, but at $60+ I'm willing to take
a chance. TIA

Not questioning your ability to diagnose a problem, but:

Why do you think the thermostat is bad? Could be a refrigerant leak. Could
be the compressor going bad, could be the defrost heater is bad (making it
"sort of" cold in the freezer and not very cold in the refrigerator). Some
units have fans that go bad. Either inside the unit or outside (for the
condensor) and that could be keeping it from getting cold.

I only make these few suggestions because I hate to see you go to all the
trouble of finding a thermostat and then it's not the thermostat that is
bad. Remember: A thermostat is basically just an on/off switch. It's either
on or it's off. The numbers just tell it how long to stay on.....

RichK

~^Johnny^~

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Edwin Pawlowski

"RichK" wrote in message

Wish I was a bit more carful taking it apart. Maybe it was fixable.
Perhaps just contact dirt - frig is 12 years old.

Rich

Diagnostics aside, how long can you search to save $5 on a part and risk
food spoiling?

You may find an old GE sitting in the back of an appliance dealer wait to go
to the junk yard. Good chance it is the same t'stat used in many other
models also.

Dr. Hardcrab

Not questioning your ability to diagnose a problem, but:

I had some help with diagnosis in this News Group :-)

Why do you think the thermostat is bad?

I concluded it was bad by carefully removing the control cover and tapping
on the deforost timer, then on the thermostat. The thermostat answered
and
frig started. When it runs, it cools fine.

After that I removed the thermostat and took it apart. However, something
went "boing" - a small leaf spring. So at this point I do need a
thermostat. The frig temp was drifing, prior to failure, which is another
hint.

Wish I was a bit more carful taking it apart. Maybe it was fixable.
Perhaps just contact dirt - frig is 12 years old.

Gotcha!

I hate that when things go "boing"........

;-]

Price of Plumbing Parts H Home Repair 7 April 24th 05 03:07 PM
Small Aluminum Parts, Turret Punch? kevinlongisland Metalworking 5 March 5th 05 01:06 AM
Seeking shop that can make some small brass parts. (USA) nob'dy Metalworking 3 August 25th 04 11:19 PM
Looking for a distributor for old SHARP parts Adrian G. Electronics Repair 0 April 11th 04 12:17 PM