Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Simpleton needs quik learnin wrt a router&table set-up (ogee w/ bearing)

I have had a little knowledge, so I pick up a product and use it, until I
realize I can't anymore.

I am routing a shape to the bottom edge of some 5/8" mdf for the rim holding
my plastic into a fluorescent light housing, 1/4" plywood box sides. I
would use L but my ply wasn't wide enough. I am experimenting with a 1/4"
beading and 1/4" roman ogee bit. Both of these have guide bearings, and the
routers upside down, so the bearing is on top w/ the bit spinning
counterclockwise. I have laid the mdf flat and touted a roman ogee, ok b/c
the cut is on my side, and I have also tried the alternative, supporting the
piece on its edge by hand pressure, cutting on my side, which gives waves
b/c I can't hold it perfect, bad.

So logically I tried to set up my plastic fence, which only sets up to the
rear side of the table, which means that, though precisely positioned, the
cut would be also whipping the stock through at the same time as cutting.
This may be called climb milling in some circles. I don't want to end up
in a fight with my motor to see who can hold onto an 8' long piece of mdf.
So is this safe? Or can I push from the left side of the table with this
set-up?. I don't know, something is telling me things go only from right to
left, for some reason.

Do I need to make my own fence and clamp it to the table on the side of the
bit closest to me, and then push right to left so when the stock pushes out
there is no stock to grab into? Is there any difference between this and my
first idea to push left to right with the fence behind?.

Is there a way to do this with a fence?

Posted to rec.woodworking

don't everybody jump

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 29, 9:11 pm, "bent" wrote:
don't everybody jump

If you're doing an "edge" you can just lay the piece flat on the table
and rout away - either climbing or not. If you're doing a "face" you
might be better off taking the router out of the table and taking it to
the workpiece. Clamp a couple together to give yourself a wider
surface upon which to sit the base of the router to prevent wobbling.
Or you could build a tall fence for your router table, and set it so
the bearing just barely touches the workpiece as you feed it by. Use
featherboards if you've got them.

JP
************************************
I'm done jumping for the night.

Posted to rec.woodworking

ok, you're right, it probably isn't important anyway

Posted to rec.woodworking

well was it good?

Posted to rec.woodworking

bent (in ) said:

| well was it good?

Not bad! A big slab of colby and a dish of cranberry-orange salad. 8-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

I just had Swanson chicken fingers, and I'm opening my sixth beer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

bent wrote:
I just had Swanson chicken fingers, and I'm opening my sixth beer.

Hope you are more discerning about your beer than you are about your food.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

thats funny

Posted to rec.woodworking

This was not a trick question. Now I look like an idiot. Not only can I
set it up, but I've done so in the past. That is ridiculous. I guess you
were just waiting me me to figure it out. No wonder I bought that
aggressive tooth handsaw