Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cutting hole in tile

I'm building a cabinet the will support a bathroom sink, one of those round
dingies that sits on the cabinet. The cabinet top will be ceramic tiled and
I need to cut a four inch square hole in the center of a 12 inch tile for
the drain hole. How would this be done?

Posted to rec.woodworking

John B wrote:

I'm building a cabinet the will support a bathroom sink, one of those round
dingies that sits on the cabinet. The cabinet top will be ceramic tiled and
I need to cut a four inch square hole in the center of a 12 inch tile for
the drain hole. How would this be done?

Masking tape, drilled holes in the corners and a jig saw with a carbide
grit blade is probably the safest way.

Alternatively with a diamond tile saw you could very carefully plunge
cut and make most of the cuts and then finish with a hand grit saw in
the corners.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Use a diamond blade (or a cheaper abrasive blade) in an angle grinder. I
prefer the diamond blades because they last so long. Also, cut outside as
it's gonna get real dusty real quick. --dave

"John B" wrote in message
I'm building a cabinet the will support a bathroom sink, one of those
round dingies that sits on the cabinet. The cabinet top will be ceramic
tiled and I need to cut a four inch square hole in the center of a 12 inch
tile for the drain hole. How would this be done?

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

John B wrote:

I need to cut a four inch square hole in the center of a 12 inch

tile for
the drain hole. How would this be done?

Drill holes in each corner, then a Fein MultiMaster with a tile blade
to complete.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Jackson" wrote in
ink.net:

"John B" wrote in message
I'm building a cabinet the will support a bathroom sink, one of those
round dingies that sits on the cabinet. The cabinet top will be
ceramic tiled and I need to cut a four inch square hole in the center
of a 12 inch tile for the drain hole. How would this be done?

Use a diamond blade (or a cheaper abrasive blade) in an angle grinder.
I prefer the diamond blades because they last so long. Also, cut
outside as it's gonna get real dusty real quick. --dave

The angle grinder works well. So does the Fein detail sander/cut
everything tool whose name changes in different countries and at different
amenity levels. Woodcraft sells it, as do better contractors' supply
shops.

I wouldn't use the jigsaw method. I would have an extra couple of those
large tiles. Get some blue masking tape and a marking pen for layout, and
cut through the tape. One of those really fine, disposable dust masks,
too.

Have fun with this.

Patriarch,
who did this last year in the master bath...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John B" wrote in
:

I'm building a cabinet the will support a bathroom sink, one of those
round dingies that sits on the cabinet. The cabinet top will be
ceramic tiled and I need to cut a four inch square hole in the center
of a 12 inch tile for the drain hole. How would this be done?

Are the cut edges going to be exposed, or covered with an escutcheon of
some sort? The angle grinder works just fine, but you'll want to practice
a bit first if you want to end up with decent finished edges. And wear
safety glasses...

Scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://canadiantire.ca/browse/produc...romSearch=true

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John B" wrote in message
I'm building a cabinet the will support a bathroom sink, one of those
round dingies that sits on the cabinet. The cabinet top will be ceramic
tiled and I need to cut a four inch square hole in the center of a 12 inch
tile for the drain hole. How would this be done?

First, choose the particular tile you need cut. Then carefully mark the
location of the cut. Then you take it to the tile store and ask them to cut
it.

There are rod saws for cutting by hand. A Dremel tool would work. I'd
score it first in any case to avoid chipping..

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 17:40:10 -0600, "John B"
wrote:

I'm building a cabinet the will support a bathroom sink, one of those round
dingies that sits on the cabinet. The cabinet top will be ceramic tiled and
I need to cut a four inch square hole in the center of a 12 inch tile for
the drain hole. How would this be done?

I've cut several inside circular and other shapes with my drywall
cutout tool (P-C, although a Rotozip would be fine, too) and the tile
cutting bit that came with it. Depending on how precise your cuts need
to be, some sort of jig would help keep the cuts straight. I did just
that with a piece of cement board I milled up to use as a mounting
block for my utility sink faucet.

If they don't need any particular precision, you could hand hold it
reasonably well.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John B" wrote in message
I'm building a cabinet the will support a bathroom sink, one of those
round dingies that sits on the cabinet. The cabinet top will be ceramic
tiled and I need to cut a four inch square hole in the center of a 12 inch
tile for the drain hole. How would this be done?

email dkozakoi at cox.net and tell him your problem, he sells what you will
need.