Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Expanding a split entry / Need advice.

Has anybody ever seen a split entry that had been expanded in some way
and that it actually looked good ? I live in a fairly new split on a
beautiful country lot, 2+ acres and we really do not want to move just
to get more space but we REALLY need more space.

Here is what we have now;

http://www.halifaxhomes.net/pdf/split8.pdf

Here is what I am thinking. If you look at the above plan, one end of
the house has an approximately 15' wide bay design. Could I not just add
another 15' wide bay 2 story extension on the opposite side of the house
? It could be built to the same dimensions as the existing one. I would
also lose the garage door and convert it to living space. I realize the
front door will be offside but with the appropriate landscaping I think
this might be do-able. I just don't want something that will be
unsellable 10 years down the road though.

This expansion would give me about an additional 870 sq feet.

Any and all opinions appreciated !!

Sean
Posted to rec.woodworking

WhyMe wrote:
Has anybody ever seen a split entry that had been expanded in some way
and that it actually looked good ? I live in a fairly new split on a
beautiful country lot, 2+ acres and we really do not want to move just
to get more space but we REALLY need more space.

snip

Let's cut to the chase.

You need an architect.

Will do the job right which will protect your existing investment.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
WhyMe wrote:
Has anybody ever seen a split entry that had been expanded in some way
and that it actually looked good ? I live in a fairly new split on a
beautiful country lot, 2+ acres and we really do not want to move just
to get more space but we REALLY need more space.

snip

Let's cut to the chase.

You need an architect.

Will do the job right which will protect your existing investment.

Lew

Oh yes, I agree but thats not what I asked.
Posted to rec.woodworking

WhyMe wrote:
[...]

Post this on alt.architecture

Posted to rec.woodworking

"WhyMe" wrote in message news

Here is what I am thinking. If you look at the above plan, one end of the
house has an approximately 15' wide bay design. Could I not just add
another 15' wide bay 2 story extension on the opposite side of the house ?
It could be built to the same dimensions as the existing one. I would also
lose the garage door and convert it to living space.

A house around the corner from me did a similar thing. They added to the
left by making a new garage and room above it. The existing garage was made
into living space. Looks OK, but look a bit out of character since thee are
other houses near it that are of original design. This now looks huge by
comparison.