Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mission style coffee table - What would Gustav Stickley do??

I'm starting to design plans to build a mission style coffee table out
of qtr sawn white oak with flake.

I'd like to capture as many design elements from the classic mission
style era as possible. One of them is the characteristic spindles in
the ends.

I see two different styles:

Square spindles:
http://www.furnitureontheweb.com/NoF...-yahooshopping

Slat spindles:
http://www.furnitureontheweb.com/nof.../008644nf.html

Is one more representative of true Stickley design? Are there any
Stickly guidelines for slat width vs. spacing or just I just go with
whatever my preferance is?

I'd also like to get that classical mission style color that contrasts
the "tiger" oak. Any suggestions on a stain (water, oil, or dye) that
works particularly well for creating a mission style finish. I
probably won't be able to fume it in ammonia.

Here's a representative sample of the end finish I'd like to achive:

http://www.hilestudio.com/prodpage/occtable/hs4472.html

Any links pertaining to designing mission and building mission style
style furniture would be very helpful.

TIA