Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M Stephen M is offline

Default Mission style coffee table - What would Gustav Stickley do??

Don't laugh but I'm thinking of using my pickup truck bed with canopy
top as the fuming chamber once the table is done. Then I'll use
linseed oil and probably a satin oil for the top for added protection.

that's kind of big, but it may work OK

P.S. No, I don't plan to drive the truck while the fuming process is
taking place!!

Am I crazy or will this work?? Has anyone fumed white oak before?? Any
tip or techniques?? I did read the Fine Woodworking article from isssue
126.

I have successfully fumed with hosehold ammonia... the article's assertion
that you need the industrial stuff is simply wrong.

I can only assume that the author was just repeating an accepted "fact".

Is industrial faster/better/different? maybe, but household ammonia does
does work.

DAGS... we've touched on this topic here before.

Steve